Viofo A139 Pro - 1|2|3 Channel 4K STARVIS-2 HDR + FHD dashcam

Sounds like you're advocating waiting for the A229 Pro over picking the A139 Pro now ;)
If you are worried about heat then I guess the A139 will be better, because the A229 is likely to be doing more work, and with the A229 you are quite likely to want 16:9 aspect ratio rather than 21:9 being perfectly adequate.

I have canceled my order due to frame rate.
You don't have to use the reduced frame rate "resolution" setting, you can use the 21:9 aspect ratio 4K 30fps setting instead, 1600 pixel height may seem like a big reduction from 2160, but it is still a similar vertical field of view to the Viofo A119 V3. You do not lose anything important. All my images above are 21:9 aspect ratio 4K, not 16:9.

By using 3 channels you also reduce the bitrate, so if your aim is for the ultimate video quality, you should choose the 1 channel version and have 1 A139 for each view!

If you just want the best 3 channel taxi-cam, then the 3 channel A139 is the best choice and will do a good job.

Any comments on how it handles heat? I know the A139 has/had overheating issues (not sure if they ever fixed it).
I don't think anyone other than Viofo has done good heat testing yet, it is the wrong time of year for testing it in summer heat, need to wait for the Australian summer to arrive.

However, just handling it, I haven't noticed it get particularly hot, or even particularly warm, whereas I did notice my previous A139 burning my fingers when I touched the metal of the connectors. Generally you can judge heating by the power consumption, because almost all the power it uses ends up as heat, and since the power consumption is not much more than the standard A139, I'm not expecting any problems. Also, Viofo are getting more experienced with designing their circuit boards and heat spreaders, it looks fairly decent inside from a heat point of view. I'd move one of the super-capacitors, but only because I like dashcams to last the lifetime of the car and I don't think they are optimal on the version I looked at. They may have moved them for the production units though, I did give feedback.

I have issues with dropping frame rates to compensate for inadequate engineering, software or hardware.
The more you ask the dashcam to do, the more power it will use and the hotter it will get. It is not inadequate engineering unless you require the ultimate performance, and even then you could claim that it is inadequate because it can't do 8K video or because the bitrate is limited to less than 100Mb/s!

Viofo have decided that for reliability, 3 channels of 16:9 video at 4K+FHD+FHD @ maximum bitrate is too much for this design, so they have limited the resolution and bitrates to what it can reliably achieve, and so far I have found it very reliable. Nothing wrong with that.

I am expecting them to try and get more out of the A229 Pro so your decision to wait may be a good one, although you may be waiting some time!

Reactions: RLS
Viofo have decided that for reliability, 3 channels of 16:9 video at 4K+FHD+FHD @ maximum bitrate is too much for this design, so they have limited the resolution and bitrates to what it can reliably achieve, and so far I have found it very reliable. Nothing wrong with that.
It's funny how people are never happy, no matter what a company does. Limited bitrate for better reliability? Not happy. Unlimited bitrate but not reliable? Not happy.

You can not please everyone.
A dashcam must of course first and foremost be reliable, then when it is that, it must also give usable footage.

I take reliability for granted, but i am always pushing for the best possible image quality.

Your question is valid. The answer is no, VIOFO has not resolved the heat issue...that is one reason when in 3 channel mode they drop the frame rate. Now, the STARVIS-2 from what I read uses 30 percent less power than the STARVIS-1 so, with that knowledge the camera should run cooler. However, they are dropping frame rate in 3 channel mode. Now, that frame rate drop could also have to do with power consumption and the inability for the camera to write all three channels quickly enough to the SD card. But, that is another issue.

I have canceled my order due to frame rate. VIOFO, which has excellent customer service did get back to me and explain in 1 channel and 2 channel mode the frame rates do not drop. However, it looks like the resolution is well below what my A129 Pro does. I still have not found good specs on the camera on the VIOFO site but, the camera is not released yet so I probably should not expect to find a manual or specs.
There is no frame rate drop while running 3CH in 1600P, which is arguably superior in almost all cases to 3840x2100.
It has nothing to do with not writing all three channels quick enough to the SD card.

I'm not sure how you reached this conclusion.

It's funny how people are never happy, no matter what a company does. Limited bitrate for better reliability? Not happy. Unlimited bitrate but not reliable? Not happy.
To be completely happy they also need the camera to be hackable with modified firmware, so the bitrate can be increased to the point where it is not reliable!

Last edited:
If you are worried about heat then I guess the A139 will be better, because the A229 is likely to be doing more work, and with the A229 you are quite likely to want 16:9 aspect ratio rather than 21:9 being perfectly adequate.
Is it?
I was not sure if it is "Starvis 2" 2K all around (meaning IMX675 both front/rear) or "Starvis 2" 4K/2K (IMX678 front, IMX675 rear)
If it is 4K/2K, then yes it is much more work than the A139 Pro.
If it is 2K/2K, then it is much less work than the A139 Pro.

Both you and I have acknowledged that this 2CH lower bitrate issue of the front camera is likely an error on Viofo's end (and not necessarily that the A139 Pro is not capable of doing it) which is fixable via firmware.
Hopefully you can point this out to them in your testing/discussion of the product with them as well since you have acknowledged that this discrepancy exists.
If they refine the bitrate on the A139 Pro running in 2CH mode, I'm okay with 21:9 aspect ratio. I just want to make sure I'm getting my fair share of quality. :)
I will go with whatever provides the highest bitrate, doesn't matter if it's 3840x2100 or 3840x1600. I don't have any bias in that area and simply let the mathematics do the talking.

Last edited:
I will go with whatever provides the highest bitrate, doesn't matter if it's 3840x2100 or 3840x1600. I don't have any bias in that area and simply let the mathematics do the talking.
You should go with the highest bits per pixel, not bits per frame! If 16:9 and 21:9 have the same bitrate, the 21:9 will be significantly better quality.

Is it?
I was not sure if it is "Starvis 2" 2K all around (meaning IMX675 both front/rear) or "Starvis 2" 4K/2K (IMX678 front, IMX675 rear)
For the Pro version, you can expect 4K, and for the non-Pro version, expect 2K.
I think it is reasonable to expect Starvis-2 all round, but we will have to wait and see.
The A229 Pro will not just be an A139 Pro in a different case, I'm sure Viofo will want 2K rear and higher front image quality than the taxi-cam, it will be a replacement for the flagship A129 Pro.

Your question is valid. The answer is no, VIOFO has not resolved the heat issue...

Another guy who knows the things.
1. All A139 dashcams with heat problems are because of user:
a.) Some of them are sticking their HK3-C under the car carpet, the HK3-C is going too hot because Z E R O ventilation and giving errors. But people will know it is because of camera heat and nothing else. They know.
b.) Because of no screen on A139 some people will let down the sunvisor to hide the dashcam because they are smart. No matter the sun will shine directly into the camera or the ventilation holes are covered, the problem was created already by the user and the user have no fault because he is smart and he knows that camera have a heating problem from the factory. Also because he is smart.
c.) Some people are using camera in parking mode, covering in the summer their dashboard with an aluminum windshield protection. Not only the camera will have covered the ventilation areas but heat will come from the front and also from the rear of it. The master melting system, but the user is still smart and knows the dashcam have heating problems and shouting on forums and on sellers to send their money back. In other thread with heat problems were one guy who destroyed two A139 just because he is smart.
d.) They don't want to know that the camera have a protection system and if the temperature will be at a value which will be too dangerous for the car, the camera will shut down. Overheating will shut down the camera automatically.
e.) They don't want to know that they are using improper cards, fake cards. When somebody from this forum is giving advice to buy only endurance cars, some guy is popping with his fantastic advice that he used some bla-bla card on his 100 dashcams and that brand is very good and he recommends it. What is recommending him? If you will look on card manufacturers you will see that the only cards recommended by the manufacturers for dashcam usage are only Endurance card. How smart to be to not pay almost the same money on an Endurance card recommended by the manufacturers and saving 2 cents for buying a card recommended by a random user which he knows.
f.) But what is heating inside camera that is giving errors? The card. Some cards are not working OK at high temperatures, all manufacturers know this problem. Also the card is the biggest problem in a well-known dashcam manufacturer. The second problem is the user.

2. If a well known manufacturer is creating a model, for example A139 3CH, which have heating problems, for sure he will not release another A139 Pro 3CH model. Normally he will stop producing even the first 3CH version or to release a hardware revised version and call it something like A139 V2.
Do you think Viofo is so stupid to launch camera with real heating problems?

3. Can somebody from the forum show pictures with a melted A139 because of heat? Or smoke going out from it? The condition is the camera to be properly mounted in a ventilated space. If no melted camera exist, then no overheating problem.

However, they are dropping frame rate in 3 channel mode. Now, that frame rate drop could also have to do with power consumption and the inability for the camera to write all three channels quickly enough to the SD card. But, that is another issue
Again, you know. Nigel already explained some things. Every chipset have a specification for maximum processing power. This processing is depending of a total sum of the settings of the camera. You cannot increase bitrate too much, or resolution too much, or framerate too much.
In 1CH mode the camera can record 4K 60FPS
In 2CH mode camera can record 4K 30FPS
In 3CH mode camera can record 4K 30FPS if using the 21:9 option. Using this option will allow the chipset to encode less area which is cut down by 560pixels. That 560 pixels are car dashboard and motor hood and sky. Wasted space and bitrate because nothing interesting there. That option was added just for the people like you who believe that FPS is the most important feature of the dashcam. Are others much much more important.
Also you know that the frame rate cannot be increased because of power consumption. Even the A139 charger is 3A.
Also you know that the camera cannot write 3 video files at 30fps each, even in camera settings there is a setting for 4K 30FPS.

Now, the STARVIS-2 from what I read uses 30 percent less power than the STARVIS-1 so, with that knowledge the camera should run cooler.
There is much much power needed for 4K encoding compared to 2K encoding. That gained difference of 30% from the CMOS is not even 1% from the difference because of 4K encoding.

I have canceled my order due to frame rate.
Great news! I hope nobody from this forum will argue to you in some way to make you buying A139. I, for sure not.

It be completely happy they also need the camera to be hackable with modified firmware, so the bitrate can be increased to the point where it is not reliable!
From my tests, at least when using HDR, a bitrate over 36-40mbps is not necessary. Of course the people who knows will tell you that the bitrate is not enough and will search for videos to demonstrate that a 200mbps bitrate is better for a dashcam video which is recording 99% from his time useless videos which are overlapped.

It has nothing to do with not writing all three channels quick enough to the SD card.
Samsung and Sandisk have V30 Endurance cards up to 256GB and the prices are OK. I see no reason to not buy such endurance card when using 3CH dashcams. Even V10 are OK for 3CH recording.

Last edited:
Always good to hear from the "experts". But, that is always the issue with web sites that cater to a product. Evaluators, testers, and long time users always have all the answers.

I stand by my previous statements. I have canceled my order for the A139. I will leave so the experts may have the lecture hall.
I don't have any Viofo products, nor have I ever used, evaluated, or tested any Viofo product. You have been a member of this forum before I was, so I'm not a longtime user either.

The only dashcam I've ever owned is a Street Guardian SG9667DC2K.
I don't have any bias, I'm only here to debate the mathematics objectively.

I did the math earlier in my posts above concerning the A139 Pro...
Based on the data posted by @rcg530 , 3CH 1600P is superior to 3CH 3840x2100.
Based on the data posted by @rcg530 , 2CH 1600P is inferior to 2CH 3840x2100.
If you feel that there is a problem or something wrong with my calculations, feel free to point them out.

You should go with the highest bits per pixel, not bits per frame! If 16:9 and 21:9 have the same bitrate, the 21:9 will be significantly better quality.
I do!
You saw me do the pixel and frame rate math in my earlier posts. Nothing has changed in my analysis.

Based on the data posted by @rcg530 , 3CH 1600P is superior to 3CH 3840x2100.
Based on the data posted by @rcg530 , 2CH 1600P is inferior to 2CH 3840x2100.

For the Pro version, you can expect 4K, and for the non-Pro version, expect 2K.
I think it is reasonable to expect Starvis-2 all round, but we will have to wait and see.
The A229 Pro will not just be an A139 Pro in a different case, I'm sure Viofo will want 2K rear and higher front image quality than the taxi-cam, it will be a replacement for the flagship A129 Pro.
The only problem I forsee with that is if Viofo goes all out upgrading both the front and rear sensors to Starvis 2, what will they release in 2024? and 2025? A new Sony Starvis sensor worth upgrading to does not come out every year or even every 2 years. Look at how long we were on IMX291, and now with IMX335 on dashcams since the A119 V3 release. That will mean the only things they might do for 2 years is a few minor things like same hardware but slightly faster bitrates, changing cables/interfaces, upgrading WiFi, maybe experiment by releasing some telephoto combination of the above cameras, or a few software features (Parking Geofencing, WIFI Station Mode, or some new/beta feature yet to be unveiled).

A229 Plus:
Front: 2K "Starvis 2" IMX675 for sure.
Rear: Unknown...either the IMX335 (standard 2K sensor) or IMX675 if they want to go all out.

A229 Pro:
Front: 4K "Starvis 2" IMX678 for sure.
Rear: Unknown...either the IMX335 (standard 2K sensor) or IMX675 if they want to go all out.

It's also possible that they may do some combination of the above (go all out on the A229 Pro since it will be a "flagship" product for a while), and skimp out on the A229 Plus by reusing IMX335 for the rear which will leave a viable hardware upgrade path available for 2024/2025 to IMX675.

Why do we see so much variance in the ability to see and record blue wavelengths (sky)? Watching Nigel's video again shows the sky so differently in the same few seconds depending on where it is (either side of trees etc).

Why do we see so much variance in the ability to see and record blue wavelengths (sky)? Watching Nigel's video again shows the sky so differently in the same few seconds depending on where it is (either side of trees etc).
I think that while it is under the trees, it is exposing for darker conditions. We are used to this causing completely over exposed sky, where the sky goes completely white, but on this sensor it is still able to keep the sky within its dynamic range. The problem is while under the trees, it has over exposed the red channel, resulting in the wrong colour. On most sensors, red over exposes first, maybe on this sensor there is a wider difference between the channels. This may yet get sorted or at least improved with a firmware update.

What is HDR?

HDR has appeared everywhere, we have:
  1. HDR image sensors,
  2. Multi-exposure HDR on image sensors,
  3. HDR processing within dashcams,
  4. WDR processing within dashcams,
  5. HDR image files,
  6. HDR display devices.
HDR simply means High Dynamic Range. The dynamic range is the distance in brightness from the darkest to the brightest that can be recorded, and a high dynamic range is one that is larger than "normal", or these days it is probably more accurate to say that the range is greater than can be correctly stored in an SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) video file and displayed on an SDR TV.

6. HDR display devices
Starting with the display devices, because the display manufacturers give us a good definition of what HDR is, at least for display devices. The maximum brightness of a display device is measured in "nits", with a standard CRT TV (from last century) measuring 100 nits, and a modern good quality HDR TV rated at around 1000 nits, so 10 times brighter. In between, many standard LCD screens measure at around 200 nits, with many HDR LCD screens between 400 and 1000. Screens intended to be watchable in shaded sunshine, such as an iPhone screen, should be around 1000 nits, and outdoor TVs for use in stadiums etc. where they need to be watchable with the sun shining directly onto them are around 10,000 nits.

What is a nit?
A nit is a unit of brightness for displays, equal to 1 cd/m2, where a cd (Candela) is the scientific unit of measurement for "luminous intensity". Essentially a 1 nit display has a brightness of about 1 standard candle power. Moonlight also averages around 1 nit, although it depends on the phase of the moon. The sun is around 16,000 nits.

5. HDR video files

If you want to take advantage of your HDR TV then you need to play an HDR video file, because if you play an old fashioned SDR video on an HDR display device then it will display it with a 0-100 nit dynamic range instead of 0-1000. Presumably this is to force you into upgrading your video collection, your video player, your cameras, your phone, your computer, etc. etc. ?

There are several different formats of HDR video file, each with a different dynamic range, but the most common is known as HDR-10 and has a 1000 nit range. HDR video files use the same video codecs as standard files and have the same file extensions, so it is hard to tell the difference without inspecting the media info. Of course, if the file contains anything at 1000 nit brightness then it is going to be obvious on playback! The "10" in HDR-10 indicates a bit depth of 10 bits for the luminosity data, which is gives 4x the resolution of a normal 8 bit SDR video file, although covering 10x the dynamic range.

The A139 Pro does create HDR videos since it captures a very high dynamic range, but it stores them compressed into SDR H264 .MP4 video files. Hopefully we will soon have dashcams that store the video in 10-bit HDR video files, but for evidence purposes that is not actually necessary, and if you want to create nice HDR movies, you can use your video editor to convert SDR to HDR. The result of using SDR files is that the dynamic range gets compressed, contrast is reduced, and the video does not look as natural as it would if stored in an HDR video file and displayed on an HDR TV, but for evidence purposes, 8-bit detail compressed into an SDR file is sufficient, and SDR files have the big advantage that everyone can view them.

1. HDR Image Sensors.

All image sensors have different dynamic ranges, generally the larger the pixels the larger the dynamic range, so for dashcams, where we want a large dynamic range, big sensors are good. In addition Starvis-1 brought a decent increase in dynamic range of the sensor, and Starvis 2 has brought another 2.5x increase.

The Sony IMX678 Starvis-2 1/1.8" image sensor used in the A139 Pro has 2.5x the dynamic range of the standard A139 without using any multi-exposure tricks, so it can be considered a High Dynamic Range sensor, and it can also do multi-exposure HDR to extend the dynamic range further.

2. Multi-exposure HDR on image sensors,

The A139 Pro uses 2 exposures when the "HDR" setup option is enabled, so that could, at most, be an extra 2x the dynamic range, I assume there is actually some overlap.

The multi-exposure part of HDR not only extends the dynamic range, but it also allows for the brighter parts of the image to be captured with less motion blur than the darker parts, which for a dashcam is a big advantage. HDR is not only about multi-exposure images though, multi-exposure is not actually required to achieve a High Dynamic Range, but it does improve the results.

3. HDR processing within dashcams,

Currently, multi-exposure HDR requires that the exposures from the image sensor are combined into a single frame by the processor, or SoC (System on Chip), before being stored in the video file. Getting good results from the merging of exposures is complex, and on a dashcam has to be done in real time since the video file has to be stored onto memory card within three seconds. The only really good results I've seen come from the latest Novatek processors. They are still working on it, so there are likely some dashcam specific improvements to come. The aim for a dashcam is rather different to other cameras, since we are trying to freeze motion as much as possible, each individual frame wants to be as sharp as possible to record evidence, while other cameras generally want to keep some motion blur in order to smooth the transition between frames and make the video appear smooth when watched, so we need processing that is specialized for dashcams, which most SoC manufacturers are not interested in. Most video cameras set their exposure and processing based on the "180 degree rule" for shutter speed, but this is irrelevant for dashcams, and the resulting motion blur would severely damage the quality of the evidence within individual frames, even though the video might be nicer to watch as long as you play it back at normal speed without pausing to study the evidence.

4. WDR processing within dashcams,

WDR is a feature found on many dashcams, and is probably implemented in all decent dashcams even if they don't mention it as a feature in the specifications. Normally it just means recording the video with an increased gamma over standard, which means that the dark shadows have their brightness turned up, while the brighter parts of the image are left unchanged, this allows more evidence in the shadows to be squashed into the 8-bit SDR file. As the dynamic range of the sensor increases, more WDR can be used to pull detail out of the shadows without also pulling noise out of the shadows. As a result, the Starvis-2 sensors produce significantly better shadow detail than older sensors, although there is still a problem that shadow detail is often discarded by the compression codecs, probably because they were designed for older sensors where a lot of the shadow detail was noise and was thus unwanted. Hopefully we will soon see 10-bit codecs, along with 10-bit HDR files, and then we can use less WDR and still have the dark shadow detail available while having more natural looking videos.

Dynamic Range, A139 Pro vs A229

The A139 Pro firmware is still being improved, so it is a bit early to give a proper review, but the following images show some clear differences to the A229 (standard version using IMX335). Most other dashcams based on the IMX335 such as the A119 V3/Mini and A139 standard would give very similar results to the A229.

I chose this image because, somewhat unusually, the two cameras have overexposed the highlights (area around the sun) by the same amount. This allows us look at the darker areas to see the extent of the dynamic range difference. With a dashcam, it is often the shadow areas that get lost when the scene has too much dynamic range to record. Looking at the full image on my normal monitor in normal lighting, the images look very similar:

A139 Pro (Sony IMX678 STARVIS-2 image sensor):
y4mR4c-utq6Eyghmop4p0K2mZDWMLF_zjIS7jOM38ehApTSkqsD0AFPbYPFXDcvy2a7dkvl_q1kNnGTmDeIX_8KbsHmudmYf-H232S02ILV8082IZpzQyiQoaW4pYbGzSK8vQd7IcJ_Fq-8_FGud9JnFF2nW-lF8nk4Ky0rnwbEjqk

A229 (Standard model using Sony IMX335 STARVIS-1 image sensor):
y4mmhov4a7tCBKDDcoS-T26CDBRQwtNJonhwtLj-g17M1vpNTtt3ssLtywh4tyLxf7FOeRioGLOgjwIF_Qve9rCdrJu3dIdCHBwNSpcKHqmwo1Hx9n-FG-5Wa88beWAhexLj6vvuWH0TDd1OxzdZpydCt1LG-2HXVRDchSknA41WmM

At first sight, those look very similar, but zoomed in on "THE HUT", which is in deep shadow because the sun is directly behind it, and with the gamma increased by 2 (edited to make it brighter), so that we can more easily see the detail stored in the darkness, the difference is quite clear - the shopkeeper can be identified from the A139 Pro image, while in the A229 image you wouldn't know that there was a shopkeeper if you hadn't seen the A139 Pro image first!

A139 Pro (Sony IMX678 image sensor):
y4mq1UeZspd5wN5KNVzqxSz2oL8gtrMrNo4k_i80_WMhkeUEcWba8OyBC9xpmcX5nkgu1KHTVhku7Wp3kcn4IvPg5D188N1oMfe4FE3jZW1BKKMRdnTejw843JWNFDOdBjfXwImT-2rpJWkdf7OB9ZP-eWR39GRTjDq5LdAoKcQy1Y

A229 (Standard model using Sony IMX335 image sensor):
y4m0ZSLIhIr9ZcUNGAH07KH5K53nTu31wN9wTRPGaPf2ynzpW9PvkigY3BVgCMpSleYOwMEh65MDffBYkJFpIv8-Uz6T5nzDxhzWhIhxDhpqYeaeipZSmJ6KnHbygWP4lJaDi8Ezzh7pbnj4vWwkpVSMo--YRZiUoKGqIduNA_4C1U

Because I increased the gamma by 2 (made the dark areas brighter), we can clearly see a lack of detail from the A229 compared to the A139 Pro. Part of that is due to the resolution of 4K vs 2K which helps us read the "treat your best friend" sign, but of more significance is an obvious lack of brightness levels where the A229 has tried to match the brightness of the A139 Pro but the image sensor has failed to capture enough brightness detail to store in the video file. That is mainly due to a difference in dynamic range between the two sensors, and the A229 raising the brightness beyond the point where it has any detail to record in the darkest areas in an attempt to look good, rather than to record more evidence. There is no full black in the A229 image. The A139 Pro has enough dynamic range to still have plenty of detail at that brightness level, including a small amount of full black.

I suspect the detail in the A139 Pro image is limited by the file format rather than sensor, there may be scope for further improvement in the dark areas, especially if it was to be upgraded with 10-bit HDR format recording, while the A229 appears to have already passed the sensor capabilities for the dark end of the dynamic range, it is not the file format that is limiting recorded detail on the A229.

Driving into the winter sun

This is an A139 Pro video file, converted to HDR format and uploaded to Youtube.

With a low sun straight ahead, we can still read most of the plates, even though they are all in full shadow.

If you view this on an SDR device, you should see "HD" or "4K" on the settings cog, and you will see it converted to SDR by Youtube, which results in a lot of overexposed sky and highlights, but it will make the shadow detail easier to view than if I had uploaded the original file straight from the camera.

If you view this on an HDR device, either in the Youtube App on your phone, or on a YouTube web page in a browser, then you should see "HDR" on the settings cog and there should only be a little overexposure around the sun. Because of the expanded, more realistic, dynamic range the shadow detail should be easier to view, and the highlights should still display fine, and a lot brighter than on an SDR device - turn the brightness up! If you view it on an HDR device but as a video embedded in the Dashcamtalk website, you may see it in SDR, marked "HD" instead of HDR.

Every device, browser, app, seems to behave a little different with HDR format files! If you are using a web browser, Google Chrome is the most likely to display it correctly.

Note that the conversion to HDR file format does not provide any extra information, even when viewed on an HDR device. The difference is only that the bright parts are brighter, and the dark detail is easier to see due to the expanded range, a similar result to my increasing the gamma in "THE HUT" image above allowing us to see the detail in the shadows which was hard to see at normal brightness.

If in future we get a 10-bit HDR codec in our dashcams, then we will genuinely get more information, more evidence. The IMX678 image sensor probably recorded that information, but we don't have a 10-bit codec able to store it... yet.

Night footage, please!

For those wanting a top quality 2 channel dashcam, but wanting a more traditional A129 wedge shaped dashcam, I'm expecting a "Pro" version of the A229 at some point, but that is likely to be several months away.

I expect the A229 Pro will be Starvis-2 all around.

Due to the large size of the image sensor, we have 4K resolution instead of 2K while still having the same pixel size, thus in this dashcam, there is no disadvantage of 4K in terms of night vision, and we also have the 7x sensitivity improvement due to Starvis-2

The HDR is the best night time feature, letting you read any plate that reflects your headlights. If you want better than this then you need to look at a headlamp upgrade rather than a dashcam upgrade!

Great post and introduction to the new A139 Pro! I'm not the target customer for the A139 line but you got me hyped about a potential A229 Pro with your comments above.

I currently run a 129 Pro which I love and has been flawless for the last 3 years but I was ready to compromise on the 4k quality in favor of a 2k sensor for better night vision for my next dashcam and so I was considering the A229.

This new Sony sensor 2 is a game changer, up to now it was a compromise between 4k quality for great daylight footage and lower 2k resolution for better night footage quality. And like I said above, I was willing to compromise on the daylight quality to get better night vision but with this new sensor, it sounds like I no longer have to compromise! What a great development in the dashcam landscape.
HDR support also sounds great, exciting times.

Thanks for the write up (y)

Back