Viofo A139 Pro - 1|2|3 Channel 4K STARVIS-2 HDR + FHD dashcam

Probably why Viofo doesn’t show it on their website ;-)
Sorry for the confusion, the "C" in HK3-C actually indicates a type-C port, in order to tell that apart from the previous MINI USB HK3 used in A119v3 and A129 series.
The standard hardwire kit for A139 PRO is HK3-C, the same as A139; you can also use the HK4 on A139/A139PRO, as it is also a type-c port, while its port angle is right, not straight as HK3-C, you can tell by the pics.
1669445401697.png
You may contact us directly by the below method if any other issues.

you can also use the HK4 on A139/A139PRO, as it is also a type-c port, while its port angle is right, not straight as HK3-C, you can tell by the pics.
Argh. Wish I'd looked into/known that before ordering. The 139 Pro website order page only lists the HK3-C as an option. Would've preferred the right angle connection.

Argh. Wish I'd looked into/known that before ordering. The 139 Pro website order page only lists the HK3-C as an option. Would've preferred the right angle connection.
I’m ordering in the next couple of days and have been wondering about going with the straight or 90* cable. Could you give a little detail as to why the right angle would have worked better for you. Thanks

The rear and interior camera cables are straight, and connect to the top of the A139, next to the USB-C power cable. So consider all three when deciding whether to use a straight or right angle hardwire kit.

1000001744.png

If you choose the right angle HK4, it really only works on one side, over the lens. The cable will clash with the rear and interior camera cables in the other direction.

The HK4 does have a thinner cable which helps with install but the right angle USB-C would be problematic on the A139 Pro in my opinion.
I just measured the cable thickness (cable between power converter and USB-C connector) on both a HK3-C and a HK4 and both measure 4.21 mm (0.166 inches). Which one to use primarily depends on how you're routing the power cable. I currently have a HK4 powering the A139 Pro in my car. The "optimized" HK3-C may end up being the preferred option since it has a straight USB-C connector which is just like the rear/interior video cables.

During my A139 Pro power consumption testing, I found the 3-channel configuration can approach or slightly exceed the 5-volt / 2 amp max rating for the original HK3-C / HK4. The optimized HK3-C should be addressing that issue, but I'm waiting to see what the power rating is for the "optimized" version.

I’m ordering in the next couple of days and have been wondering about going with the straight or 90* cable. Could you give a little detail as to why the right angle would have worked better for you. Thanks
If you are mounting directly below the car's sensor pod then you may want the 90 degree to save a little space and get the camera a little higher, but you still have the video cables going straight upwards so I don't think there is much advantage. The 90 degree version was designed for the A229, which has the power connector on the side rather than at the top.

but you still have the video cables going straight upwards so I don't think there is much advantage.
This was my first thought. Little details that everyone has mentioned that can play a part in the final product.

Any more test results or or are you still waiting on Viofo for software/hardware? Thanks again to you and others who take the time to share your expertise and information.

I did that in grade school

At the verbal English exam i was given a lesser score ( 11 out of 13 ) CUZ i spoke American not English,,,,, i was like WTF.
And the guy sitting next to me he got a 03, which was also a outrage CUZ he was easy able to say " hello my name is Bendt" so for that he should at least have gotten a 5

In chemistry in 10 grade ( where i stopped school in the middle of the year to get a job ) well having not studied anything the teachers sent me letters about studying, i had worked myself up so bad.
So i picked a random topic, which was acids / bases and the periodic table, something i could easy have gotten a 13 in, but due to nerves about picking anything else i only got a 10,,,,, i was so worked up i could not draw a line on the board it became a dotted line as i was shaking so much.

I really suck in exam or competition, you can easy deduct 25% from my average performance in situations like that.
And it do not matter how good i am at something, add the element of competition and i will not perform as good as i could.

Since the rear and interior cables are all straight, so better to go with a straight hardwire kit, which is the general choice of most customers, so you can adjust the 3 cables simultaneously.

Thanks for your input. Got my order ( straight connectors ) placed and it’s due to arrive Tuesday next week. I’m all prepped for installation in two vehicles. Installation in my RAM 3500 is a little more involved due to the fact that there’s no interior fuse panel. But, a thousand YouTube videos later, I’m ready to rock and roll.

Of course this new, to me, technology and wiring for it has led me down the rabbit hole. Now I’m planning the installation of a GMRS radio, PSU, and antenna. Where does it stop- - The Horror The Horror
Be safe out there and to everyone, Happy Holidays!

GMRS radio
Why do you use ancient analogue radio in an age of digital satellite phones?

(Not suggesting it is wrong to do so, but GMRS is not used here, it's illegal, so I'm wondering why it would be wanted.)

My retail A139 Pro just arrived to go alongside the preproduction unit I've been testing for a while and the retail one looks to resolve some issues with lowlight/nighttime recording that affected the preproduction unit. Woohoo!

A139 Pro 3CH dashcams.jpg

Now that I can properly view nighttime video, I ran it alongside the A129 Pro last night and WOW what a difference! Noticeably less noise as well as better dynamic range which means that the new model makes it significantly more likely that you'll catch plates at night.

I'm still seeing an issue with both the A139 Pro and the A129 Pro running newer firmware where I can't play/edit video files in FinalCut Pro so I gotta figure out how to resolve that so I can create some videos. Oddly enough I can use older A129 Pro footage from a few years ago when it was running older firmware, but something must have changed with Viofo's newer firmware. Has anyone else had issues editing footage? I can play back in VLC just fine, but not so much in Quicktime or FinalCut.

Either way, now that I've got two units on hand, it'll be useful for doing things like daytime HDR on/off comparison, having one in the car collecting sample footage while the other is on the bench doing parking mode tests hooked up to some battery packs, etc.

The above link gives a pretty good overview of the pros and cons of the various methods of communication. I looked into Sat phones but the real drawback for me was the monthly minutes. Some plans had a minutes rollover option but even with that it was a pretty expensive option to have around for a what if scenario. I did keep my iPhone 6 forever and a day waiting for Apple to come up with an affordable Sat phone option. I did get the IPhone 14 Pro hoping that it will be software upgradable to provide more than just emergency satellite service. After this weeks Cook/Musk Twitter App back and forth. Maybe Elon will still move ahead with a phone with satellite capabilities.

In the meantime, I wanted some other form of communication that I could use. I’m getting a mobile 50 watt model. Even with that power level, communication can be very limited even under ideal conditions. I figure better than nothing. Ham radio would probably be the best emergency solution but I’m not interested in going down that road.

I have contemplated updating my editing software ( powerdirector 17 )
If i get a new GFX card i will probably gain hardware AV1 encoding, and my old stuff do not support that.
I hope dashcams will gain AV1 soon, so i would be ready.

@72guy i am glad my need to communicate are way - way low,,,,,, even by pre internet standards, but i do still have a few HAM radios from those days, though no antenna but in a pinch a correct length of cobber wire can fill in.
Either way as a 66guy, if things go to hell, well i have already lived a full life, so then its just a matter of taking as many A holes with me in the fall,,,,, to do the world or what is left of it a favor.

Maybe Elon will still move ahead with a phone with satellite capabilities.
From "Next year" (Elon time) you will be able to use any standard phone to communicate via Musk's Starlink satellites. Bit limited in functionality, but it will allow communication:

Back