VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

Is it using more power than the original A139?
As I stated in post #2 of this thread, I don't have the original/previous generation of the A139 3-Channel dash camera to perform a power consumption test. I would be willing to test it, if I can get my hands on one. My guess is that the A139 Pro uses more power, but by how much I don't know.

Reactions: Mtz
Is it using more power than the original A139?

@Nigel provided some information on A139 vs A139 Pro power consumption in his thread:
Power
As might be expected, the 4K Pro version of the A139 uses more power than the 2K standard version, it has twice the resolution and is recording nearly twice the bitrate, but it only uses about half a watt extra, the Starvis-2 sensors have improved power consumption so the increase in power consumption is less than expected. These are approximate figures for 1 channel recording, not including any losses in a hardwire kit, and after the power consumption has stabilized (after the super capacitors are fully charged):
  • A139 Standard, 1 channel recording, wifi off = 2.6 watts.
  • A139 Pro, 1 channel recording, wifi off = 3.2 watts.

A139 Pro Firmware - Change In Update Behavior

When I received A139 Pro test firmware version v1.0_1113, I was instructed to make sure I used the "Reset Camera Setting" option after updating the firmware. Just after I updated to v1.0_1113 firmware from v1.0_1105 test firmware, I noticed the voice announcements were at a lower volume than before the update. I executed the "Reset Camera Setting" option in the VIOFO app settings screen and the A139 Pro rebooted. After the reboot, the voice announcements were back to their normal louder volume. I then reselected all of my regular firmware settings for my A139 Pro 3-Channel installation.

I just received A139 Pro firmware v1.0_1115 which might be the version in the shipping production units. I updated my A139 Pro from v1.0_1113 to v1.0_1115 and I found the firmware settings from v1.0_1113 were still in place after the update to v1.0_1115 firmware.

Firmware versions v1.0_1113 and later, the change in behavior is that the A139 Pro firmware update process no longer resets the firmware settings to their defaults after the firmware is updated.

If your upgrading the firmware of your A139 Pro with a firmware older than v1.0_1113 to a version v1.0_1113 or later, make sure you execute the "Reset Camera Setting" firmware setting option to make sure the firmware settings are stored correctly for the later firmware version.

1668754530503.png

I wish I had time to read all 6 pages, but since I don't I will come across as lazy and ask: Overall do you feel the A139 PRO is worth the current price when compared to the quality and reliability of the A119? I know they're apples-to-oranges comparison, but cost is not as important as reliability and image quality.

I just received A139 Pro firmware v1.0_1115 which might be the version in the shipping production units. I updated my A139 Pro from v1.0_1113 to v1.0_1115 and I found the firmware settings from v1.0_1113 were still in place after the update to v1.0_1115 firmware.

Firmware versions v1.0_1113 and later, the change in behavior is that the A139 Pro firmware update process no longer resets the firmware settings to their defaults after the firmware is updated.

If your upgrading the firmware of your A139 Pro with a firmware older than v1.0_1113 to a version v1.0_1113 or later, make sure you execute the "Reset Camera Setting" firmware setting option to make sure the firmware settings are stored correctly for the later firmware version.
That's an interesting observation - did you look to see if the camera writes a settings txt or cfg file to the card?

I would be wary of advising anyone that they don't need to reset the camera settings after a FW update. I still think it's good practice to reset to default because in each update some parameters may be added, removed or updated - the old settings may not be compatible with any amended parameters.

A139 Pro VIOFO Support Page

With the production release of the VIOFO A139 Pro dash camera, VIOFO now has a "support page" for the new dash camera where you can download the English and Chinese user manuals and the current firmware. The firmware version on 18-Nov-22 is v1.0_1115.

A139 PRO 3CH Dash Cam Support

That's an interesting observation - did you look to see if the camera writes a settings txt or cfg file to the card?

I would be wary of advising anyone that they don't need to reset the camera settings after a FW update. I still think it's good practice to reset to default because in each update some parameters may be added, removed or updated - the old settings may not be compatible with any amended parameters.
I did not see any visible file or new directory when I placed the v1.0_1115 firmware file on the memory card. I'll take a more in depth look when I pull video footage from the memory card later today.

I agree that resetting to defaults is a good practice when upgrading firmware. The older firmware versions were doing this for the user, but now they're not. I'm not sure why they changed this behavior, but it has changed.

I wish I had time to read all 6 pages, but since I don't I will come across as lazy and ask: Overall do you feel the A139 PRO is worth the current price when compared to the quality and reliability of the A119? I know they're apples-to-oranges comparison, but cost is not as important as reliability and image quality.
I've found the A139 Pro pre-production test unit to be quite reliable. The image quality from the Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 image sensor is very good. Now that there is a production version of the firmware, I'll be gathering nighttime footage for inclusion in an upcoming review video. The daytime footage has improved with each firmware update.

The video resolution options for this dash camera might be a bit different than other 4K dash cameras offered by VIOFO.

viofo_a139_pro_specifications.jpg

The 4K 2160P (3840x2160) resolution option for the front camera in the 3-channel configuration limits the frames per second to 24fps for all three cameras. The 2-channel and 1-channel configurations can capture video at 30 fps when 4K 2160P is selected for the front camera.

The 4K 1600P (3840x1600) resolution option for the 3-channel configuration captures video at 30fps. With the current firmware, the "4K 1600P 30fps + 1080P 30fps + 1080P 30fps" resolution selection still has a small issue with the loss of one or two video frames at around the 2 second mark in the video so it appears as a small stutter/jump in the video. I hope that issue can be resolved in a future firmware update.

I'll have more info to base an opinion on after I gather nighttime footage with the A139 Pro. The A139 Pro does consume a hefty amount of power, so keep that in mind if you're intending on using it for longer parking mode sessions.

Last edited:
I checked the microSD card file system for any storage directory or file(s) where it may be storing the firmware settings. I didn't find any visible or hidden directories or files.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get 2 interior cameras as they are the same price. This way they both would have the IR feature and essentially you could leave it off most of the time. Or did I miss something that the rear camera has over the interior?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get 2 interior cameras as they are the same price. This way they both would have the IR feature and essentially you could leave it off most of the time. Or did I miss something that the rear camera has over the interior?
I'm not sure if the "Rear" camera port can control the IR function of the infrared camera (not sure I've never asked). It depends on your use case for the dash camera. Others more familiar with the original A139 dash camera may have better input on your question.

A139 Pro - v1.0_1115 Firmware - Nighttime Testing

Today, I spent a couple of hours gathering daytime and nighttime footage (4K 2160P with and without HDR enabled, 4K 1600P with and without HDR enabled).

A couple of weeks ago, I reported to VIOFO that my A139 Pro had a brightness flickering issue in lower ambient light situations (for example - at night in my garage with only the garage ceiling lights on). I was told by VIOFO that my very early A139 Pro test unit even with the latest firmware will still have the low light brightness flickering issue due to a hardware issue in the very early test units. Tonight's nighttime footage from the road definitely had the low light brightness flickering issue occurring. That pretty much means I won't be able to release a review video anytime soon since I can't capture decent nighttime footage.

The production A139 Pro units will not have the low light brightness flickering issue. In theory, I'm getting a production A139 Pro replacement front camera at some point in the near future.

I'm putting my A139 Pro testing on hold until I get a production unit.

A139 Pro - Incorrect firmware version - listed on A139 Pro download page

On Friday evening, I reported to VIOFO that the new A139 Pro support page claims to be offering an A139 Pro firmware update of version 1.1_1115.

1668935665363.png

The actual file that you download is v1.0_1115, not v1.1_1115. I confirmed the file that you download is the exact same one I was given by VIOFO on 15-Nov-2022 and it reports its version as 1.0_1115.

1668935760488.png

I just wanted to make sure that you know the version being reported as available for download is not the one that you actually get when you download it.

The production A139 Pro units will not have the low light brightness flickering issue. In theory, I'm getting a production A139 Pro replacement front camera at some point in the near future.
Yes, the retail products will have some minor hardware update.

I'm not sure if the "Rear" camera port can control the IR function of the infrared camera (not sure I've never asked). It depends on your use case for the dash camera. Others more familiar with the original A139 dash camera may have better input on your question.
Well this is preventing my purchase as the read camera 2 camera. sounds less valuable then, over the interior 2 camera. Why because you could use the interior camera one on either port and have full functionality whereas the the other wouldn't provide any real benefit what-so-ever.

This requires a special firmware to enable IR feature on REAR port, also if using 2 Infrared camera and enabled the IR LED on both, it will use more power.
Some other customers asked this before, but we checked it cost much develop time, so we hold this implement now.

Well this is preventing my purchase as the read camera 2 camera. sounds less valuable then, over the interior 2 camera. Why because you could use the interior camera one on either port and have full functionality whereas the the other wouldn't provide any real benefit what-so-ever.
The main point is that an interior is superior and in everyway no one should bother purchasing the rear camera package. The price is the same and will always get better value having the optional IR potentially on both or if something went wrong with the interior.

Back