VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

So thats how it connect ( me having just been overloading brain with stuff like finite universe size and quantum entanglement )
TBH i thought it was a matter of how much they could deliver of power, but it seem both are plenty.

Do existing interior and rear cameras from A139 work with A139 Pro? It would save me tearing out my wiring.

Do existing interior and rear cameras from A139 work with A139 Pro? It would save me tearing out my wiring.
Yes, the cameras and camera wiring from the A139 will work with the A139 Pro. That's probably what will drive the most sales of the A139 Pro 1-channel offering as an upgrade from the previous generation A139 dash camera to the new A139 Pro.

In the U.S., we have rather poor policing that is driven by writing tickets for any minor infraction. I saw on Youtube one good use of an interior camera where some less than stellar police officer pulled over a driver for no seat belt usage. The cop was better than a block down a side street when the car passed him. He pulled the driver over and the driver showed him on his interior camera where he was wearing a seat belt. You could sense in the cop he knew he "had been busted" and could not write an unwarranted ticket. As well, the entire interaction with the cop and the driver were being recorded as well.
How did they record while viewing the video? Omg

How did they record while viewing the video? Omg
Cameras are common. Probably recorded the interaction with the cop on his cell phone, at the same time the cop was recording the interaction on his own camera (whose recording often seems to disappear when it makes the cop look bad).

Last week, I was informed that I have two of the VIOFO A139 Pro 3-channel dash cameras in route to me. I just checked the package shipping status and it was picked up from VIOFO on 25-Nov-2022. I don't expect that shipment to get to me until around 8-Dec-2022. Yesterday, I spent the afternoon rearranging the dash cameras in my car. I have a place for both A139 Pro dash cameras, so I can get HDR and non-HDR video footage at the same time.

iOS VIOFO App v3.2 - Incorrect handling of text fields with spaces

My friend @Panzer Platform (Chuck) mentioned that he observed his newly received A139 Pro production dash camera have an issue with the setting of the text values for the "Custom Text Stamp" and "Car License Number". Since the A139 Pro has no screen, you must use the VIOFO app to update the values for those fields. Chuck normally sets those two fields with values that will identify footage gathered by his dash camera testing. Chuck stated that when he places a space in those values the space shows up as a plus (+) character. Chuck uses the iOS version of the VIOFO app to configure the settings of his VIOFO dash cameras. These two text fields only allow numbers, letters, a period (.) character, a hyphen (-) character and a space character.

1669913016315.png

My Testing - Android VIOFO app v3.2.8

I used the Android version of the VIOFO app to update my A139 Pro running firmware version v1.0_1115 with the text strings that Chuck was using. The end result was that spaces are present in the text strings that appear on the status line. The A139 Pro appears to use a variable width font which makes the space character very narrow, but it's there.

Custom Text Stamp = "CHUCK MCCOY"
Car License Number = "PNZR PLTFRM"

1669911738724.png

The VIOFO app uses a HTTP GET request to send a send the updated field value for those two fields. The GET request's parameters need to be sent in a manner that the HTTP request itself will not be misinterpreted by the HTTP server on the VIOFO dash camera side of the request. A text value for a GET request parameter is usually translated/encoded in a manner to make it safe to pass to the server. You usually see a space translated to a plus (+) character or "%20". The GET requests sent to the VIOFO dash camera actually have the space character converted to an asterisk (*) character.

1669913201463.png

My best guess is that the use of an asterisk character for the space is something implemented by the VIOFO app and firmware developers to know that a space character was entered rather than using the traditional plus (+) or hexadecimal escaped value of "%20".

The end result is that updating the text field value using the Android v3.2.8 VIOFO app works with the A139 Pro and with an A229 Duo.

My Testing - iOS VIOFO app v3.2

I used the iOS VIOFO app v3.2 to run the same test, but this time instead two text string values having a space character in the value stored on the dash camera it was a plus (+) symbol. I tried several HTTP packet capture apps on an iOS device, but they all got in the way of the connection between the iOS VIOFO app and the A139 Pro HTTP server. So, I don’t have a packet capture of the requests from the iOS VIOFO app setting those text values.
My educated guess is that the input field value for those text fields are being URI escaped by some api call that is converting the space character to a “+” plus character. I don’t know if the Android app is performing its own character translation of a space to an asterisk or not, but it sure looks that way. The iOS app is not translating the input field value spaces to an asterisk like the Android app before being made URI safe in the GET request sent to the HTTP server on the dash camera. That’s why I wanted to get a packet capture from an iOS device to prove it was the iOS app sending the “+” and not something on the A139 Pro HTTP server and/or firmware end of the connection.

I used my iOS device to change the “Custom Text Stamp” value again to the same value of “CHUCK MCCOY”, but you can see it ended up with the “+” character instead of the space character. I left the “Car License Number” field value as it was set by the Android app and it still shows a space where it should show a space.
1669913800889.png

Is it camera model specific or VIOFO app specific?

To see if the problem occurs with more than one dash camera model, I tried the same test actions with an A229 Duo running v1.1_1010 firmware. The same exact thing took place. When updating those text fields using the Android VIOFO app, it works and when using the iOS VIOFO app the space characters were changed to plus characters.

Packet capture between v3.2.8 Android VIOFO app and the A229 Duo:
1669913935275.png

The text values on the status line after being updated by the Android app:
1669914011666.png

The text values on the status line after being updated by the iOS app:
1669914028146.png

There appears to be a bug in the v3.2 iOS VIOFO app in the manner in which it encodes the space character to be sent as part of these text field values for at least two “cmd” numbers of 8218 and 8219.

I've reported my findings to VIOFO.

Did you try using double slash in the space?
No, I did not try a single or double backslash to see if it would pass along the space unchanged. The HTTP GET request cannot have a bare space character in the parameter value. It needs to be encoded/translated to a URI safe representation of the character (for a space that's "+" or "%20"). In theory, I cannot enter a backslash since it's not one of the allowed characters. Later today, I'll try a few more variations of the text string value to see what it does.

The bug is on live view of the App or is also over the encoded video from the card?

After you update the text string, exit the Settings screen to the Live View screen and then re-enter the Settings screen, the text value has the plus (+) character instead of the space you entered. This shows that the value is being stored as a plus (+) character on the dash camera side. If you try to type in a plus (+) character, blackslash or any other invalid character for the input field, it will not accept the character being typed. So, there is input field validation taking place as you type in the value. It's just the transmission of the space character to the HTTP server on the dash camera that is getting messed up.

1669919901473.png 1669919925846.png

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, IOS 13, app is 3.2 and I could not duplicate the issue on my A129 Pro Duo. I changed both the license plate and custom text fields. Tried several times, maybe a one off for me. I will go back later and try again.
I'm using a very old iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 15.7.1 and v3.2 of the iOS VIOFO app. The issue reproduces with an A229 Duo and A139 Pro dash camera (so far). I do have an A129 Pro Duo, but it's in my wife's car and she's at work. I tend to leave the A129 Pro Duo alone since it's working so well in her car for the past couple of years.

My Testing - Android VIOFO app v3.2.8

I used the Android version of the VIOFO app to update my A139 Pro running firmware version v1.0_1115 with the text strings that Chuck was using. The end result was that spaces are present in the text strings that appear on the status line. The A139 Pro appears to use a variable width font which makes the space character very narrow, but it's there.
I'm using the android app with my A139 Pro on V1.0_1115. The spaces are present as intended in my OSD text. I did notice that the spaces are rather narrow, but still usable.

Back