VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

Just curious...are you using the stock keyboard on the 6S Plus? I do wonder if non-stock keyboards are an issues? Most folks dislike the Apple keyboard
install and app keyboard.
My iPhone 6S Plus does not have any alternative keyboards enabled/installed. I just tested this issue with my iPad (5 generation) MP2F2LL/A running iOS 16.1.1 and the same problem occurred. The iPad does not have any alternative keyboards installed.

The method in which the iOS v3.2 VIOFO app is taking the typed in text value and translating/encoding the space character as a plus (+) character in the HTTP GET request sent to the dash camera. I would like to get a packet trace showing that's the case, but I can't find a way to easily/cheaply do that at this time.

The method in which the Android v3.2.8 VIOFO app is taking the typed in text value and translating/encoding the space character as an asterisk (*) character in the HTTP GET request sent to the dash camera. The firmware on the dash camera appears to be translating/decoding the asterisk (*) character back to a space character before being storing the value.

My iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15.7.1 and v3.2 and everything works great!!

Last edited:
I just received my A139 Pro 4k 2ch. When I use the Viofo app to download and review recordings, the GPS map is showing India instead of USA. The GPS is turned on and the coordinates are correctly displayed on the video.

Video GPS stamp shows N26.xxx W80.xxx ( this is correct, Florida, USA)
The map is showing Lucknow, India(which is wrong)

When I looked at the coordinates, India has the same longitude value digits, however it's (+) positive in India instead (-) in the USA.

I am guessing this is a bug with the app, or the A139 is recording the absolute value of the coordinates.

Somewhere the coordinates are changing from +26.xxxx -80.xxxx to +26.xxxx +80.xxxx

Has anyone else seen this issue or is something wrong with my A139 Pro 4K?

I just received my A139 Pro 4k 2ch. When I use the Viofo app to download and review recordings, the GPS map is showing India instead of USA. The GPS is turned on and the coordinates are correctly displayed on the video.

When I looked at the coordinates, India has the same longitude value digits, however it's (+) positive in India instead (-) in the USA.

I am guessing this is a bug with the app, or the A139 is recording the absolute value of the coordinates.

Somewhere the coordinates are changing from +26.xxxx -80.xxxx to +26.xxxx +80.xxxx

I haven't tested viewing the GPS location within the VIOFO app. I can try and test this tomorrow. I have tested viewing the A139 Pro video files in the Dashcam Viewer program on my Windows 10 laptop and the location data seems to be presented correctly.

I finally found a convoluted way to get a network sniffer trace of the connection between my iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 15.7.1 and a VIOFO A229 Duo which was showing this same issue. I used the A229 Duo since it was easily available to me in my office for this test.

Here is the HTTP GET request when I updated the value in the "Custom Text Stamp" field from "RCG530" to "RCG530 TEST".

1670032726026.png

The "str" parameter has a value of "RCG530%2BTEST". The "%2B" portion of the string is the URI/URL safe version of a plus (+) character.

1670032805726.png

I exited the "Settings" screen and then re-entered the "Settings" screen. This was to force the app to query the current parameter values as stored on the dash camera. The app sends a 8229 command and the value for the "Custom Text Stamp" is returned in an XML document. The value returned in "RCG530+TEST". The plus (+) character is being stored on the dash camera side as part of the text string.

1670032969083.png

That to me, indicates the FW in the dashcam is not "unescaping" or decoding %2B. So the failure is not in the sending but in
how the character is being handled at the far end...the dashcam.
I have to disagree with you on that. For HTTP URLs which need to send spaces, you either replace the spaces with a plus (+) character OR you replace the spaces with a "%20". You don't replace the space with a plus (+) character and then enscape it again converting the plus (+) character to the "%2B". If you send a "%2B" sequence, you're intending on that being a plus (+) in the parameter value on the server end.

The Android v3.2.8 VIOFO app is changing the space to an asterisk (*) on the app end which doesn't need escaping and the dash camera firmware is converting the asterisk (*) back to a space (as shown several posts ago). If the dash camera firmware end is expecting an asterisk (*) for any space character, the iOS VIOFO app should be doing the same thing and translating any space to an asterisk before sending the request tot he HTTP server on the dash camera. They need to be consistent on how they pass the space characters up to the dash camera.

HTML URL Encoding Reference

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm replacing my Vantrue N2 Pro that has a bad lithium battery with this A139 Pro. I power my current dashcam via OBD2 power (5v 2.1A) with a low battery shutoff feature. Despite the slightly higher power consumption mentioned earlier in the thread, would this camera be able to work with OBD2 power?

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm replacing my Vantrue N2 Pro that has a bad lithium battery with this A139 Pro. I power my current dashcam via OBD2 power (5v 2.1A) with a low battery shutoff feature. Despite the slightly higher power consumption mentioned earlier in the thread, would this camera be able to work with OBD2 power?

I wouldn't recommend it and the plug is different. Vantrue N2 Pro uses mini USB and the Viofo A139 Pro uses USB-C. Best to get a new hardwire kit or just use the cigarette adapter.

I wouldn't recommend it and the plug is different. Vantrue N2 Pro uses mini USB and the Viofo A139 Pro uses USB-C. Best to get a new hardwire kit or just use the cigarette adapter.
I know, I have a USB-C version of the adapter. I guess I can just test it out and monitor it.

I know, I have a USB-C version of the adapter. I guess I can just test it out and monitor it.
While it should work, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some problems due to voltage drops when using 3 channels.

No problem with trying it out though, most likely result is that the rear camera will start disconnecting and reconnecting with a warning beep/voice notification occasionally, or frequently. It won't cause any harm.

If you want to use parking mode, I do recommend getting a Viofo hardwire kit.

While it should work, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some problems due to voltage drops when using 3 channels.

No problem with trying it out though, most likely result is that the rear camera will start disconnecting and reconnecting with a warning beep/voice notification occasionally, or frequently. It won't cause any harm.

If you want to use parking mode, I do recommend getting a Viofo hardwire kit.
That's something I was wondering about. I assumed parking mode works as long as you have constant 12v power, which OBD2 provides. In the testing mentioned earlier they didn't experience any odd behavior using the Viofo hardwire kit that provides the same 5v 2a that the OBD2 connector I'm using provides. Does the Viofo hardwire kit have some sort of chip that communicates with the camera?

Yesterday, I gathered footage during my weekly shopping trip drive with an A139 Pro (preproduction test unit) running firmware V1.0_1115. I downloaded the same video file to an Android 10 tablet running v3.2.8 of the VIOFO app and an iOS iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 15.7.1 with v3.2 of the iOS VIOFO app.

The map displayed correctly using the iOS app. The map was way off (just as yours was) showing me driving in the ocean off of the coast of China.

Screenshot from iOS app showing the correct location in Folsom, CA.
1670088910387.png

Screenshot from Android app showing me driving in the ocean. I adjusted the zoom level of the map to show what part of the world it thought I was driving in since the default zoom level was simply showing me driving in water.
1670089058964.png

I used the GPS coordinates (N38.6919, W121.1373 or +38.6919, -121.1373) as displayed on the video status line and the map as presented in the iOS app is correct. I converted longitudinal value from -121.1373 to +121.1373 and it resulted in the location in the ocean off of the coast of China. It appears that the Android app is not correctly passing the GPS coordinates along to the Google maps interface to correctly locate the driving location on the map during playback of stored/downloaded file from the dash camera.

1670089819954.png 1670089534771.png

That's something I was wondering about. I assumed parking mode works as long as you have constant 12v power, which OBD2 provides. In the testing mentioned earlier they didn't experience any odd behavior using the Viofo hardwire kit that provides the same 5v 2a that the OBD2 connector I'm using provides. Does the Viofo hardwire kit have some sort of chip that communicates with the camera?
The Viofo 3-wire hardwire kits hook up to permanent power and switched power, so they can pass the message to the camera to tell it that the ignition has been turned on/off. I don't know if your OBD2 connection will do this, but it is very likely it won't. Some of Viofo's cameras will enter parking mode anyway based on lack of movement. I haven't actually tested that on the A139 Pro, but it is not really recommended since it can result in a switch to parking mode while you are about to leave the traffic lights, at the most likely time for an accident, and there will be a slight pause in recording in the process. It can also result in a delay in exiting parking mode while it detects that you have started moving. Not ideal.

The Viofo 3-wire hardwire kits hook up to permanent power and switched power, so they can pass the message to the camera to tell it that the ignition has been turned on/off. I don't know if your OBD2 connection will do this, but it is very likely it won't. Some of Viofo's cameras will enter parking mode anyway based on lack of movement. I haven't actually tested that on the A139 Pro, but it is not really recommended since it can result in a switch to parking mode while you are about to leave the traffic lights, at the most likely time for an accident, and there will be a slight pause in recording in the process. It can also result in a delay in exiting parking mode while it detects that you have started moving. Not ideal.
I see, thanks for the info. To my knowledge the power pins on the OBD2 port provide constant 12v, just like some cigarette lighter ports. The data pins, however, are activated when the key is switched to ACC or On. Parking mode worked fine on my Vantrue via OBD2 power, outside of the lithium battery going bad. I mainly asked because I saw comments on Amazon recommending the battery hardwire kit for parking mode, but no reason was given for one method over the other. I'll provide feedback on the performance when my camera arrives.

Yesterday, I gathered footage during my weekly shopping trip drive with an A139 Pro (preproduction test unit) running firmware V1.0_1115. I downloaded the same video file to an Android 10 tablet running v3.2.8 of the VIOFO app and an iOS iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 15.7.1 with v3.2 of the iOS VIOFO app.

The map displayed correctly using the iOS app. The map was way off (just as yours was) showing me driving in the ocean off of the coast of China.

Screenshot from iOS app showing the correct location in Folsom, CA.
View attachment 62799

Screenshot from Android app showing me driving in the ocean. I adjusted the zoom level of the map to show what part of the world it thought I was driving in since the default zoom level was simply showing me driving in water.
View attachment 62800

I used the GPS coordinates (N38.6919, W121.1373 or +38.6919, -121.1373) as displayed on the video status line and the map as presented in the iOS app is correct. I converted longitudinal value from -121.1373 to +121.1373 and it resulted in the location in the ocean off of the coast of China. It appears that the Android app is not correctly passing the GPS coordinates along to the Google maps interface to correctly locate the driving location on the map during playback of stored/downloaded file from the dash camera.

View attachment 62802 View attachment 62801

Thank you for confirming. At least I know it's not my dashcam, and it's just a bug in the Android App.

Sorry if this has been asked before just feeling a bit too lazy to read the whole thread haha. Have there been any overheating issues with any of the 2ch variants? Thinking of getting the front and interior config and putting my a119 in the rear when i pass my test

Sorry if this has been asked before just feeling a bit too lazy to read the whole thread haha. Have there been any overheating issues with any of the 2ch variants? Thinking of getting the front and interior config and putting my a119 in the rear when i pass my test
I have not encountered any overheating with the A139 Pro 3-channel. I received my test unit during the fall when temps were cooler here in Northern California. I haven't had the right daytime temps to know for sure how it will behave during the summer months. I now have a thermal camera (TOPDON TC001) that I'll start using with my dash camera reviews. I'll see if it will provide any visual insight as to how the A139 Pro is dissipating the heat it generates.

Back