Viofo A139 (pro) vs A229 vs A119 Duo Plus - Recommendation 2023

Current status:
Although I wanted to try 2 individual dashcams for rear and front window I did also order the A139 Pro just to be sure since it was expected to be available mid of February since only. At least thats what was advertised as and even my order states shipping expected February 10th 2023. Nevertheless I just received the shipping confirmation and the dashcam arrives next week (even before my car arrives).

However:
Is the A139 Pro really that good?
Yes, picture quality is gonna be great. On Amazon theres several complaints about heat issues on the regular A139 and in the A139 section (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/a139-pro.404/) my impression is that people are also not completely satisfied but face the same heating issues and other "bugs".

Not only seems the A139 (and pro) to have serious heating issues and child sicknesses it does not have a screen at all.

So again: If money doesn't play a role - would you still go for A139 hands down or might the A229 the better overall product (due to the screen and obviously no heating issues public)

A139 Pro is the only dashcam for know with the new Sony Starvis 2. And is best what you can buy right now.
It just has been released so Viofo is continuously working for improvements. It's quite early for heat issues and i would not care about amazon reviews.
Man, you are on the biggest dashcam forum and you keep telling us about some subjective amator opinions.
You can find here all real and important details.

Man, you are on the biggest dashcam forum and you keep telling us about some subjective amator opinions.
You can find here all real and important details.
I am hear to find out and to clarifiy about information I find on the internet. I am explicitely here to find out the "real and important" details.

And if Amazon customers AND forum members tell about heat problems with A139 AND A139 pro I can not understand how you can reply with "don't worry about it, Amazon members are amateurs and don't know what they're talking about"

I mean wtf?

If the dashcam has heat issues than it has heat issues and then it's a legitimit question to ask about these issues.

The A139 is on the market since over 1 year already and still has the same heating issues.

So yes please tell me again how thats an amateur opinion and not to worry about it and it's "quite new".

Jeez you even think before you write?

A139 Pro is the only dashcam for know with the new Sony Starvis 2. And is best what you can buy right now.
Also I really ask the question if it is THE BEST WHAT YOU CAN BUY.

It has the best sensor with Starvis 2. But does it make it the best dashcam automatically if it lacks a display and has serious heat problems.

I rather have a stable dashcam with 2k and Starvis 1 instead of a camera with Starvis 2 and 4k that is unrealiable and creates issues all the time.

Not only seems the A139 (and pro) to have serious heating issues and child sicknesses it does not have a screen at all.
I have my A139 for over a year now and it didn't have any issues at all. Even it the hottest weather it still performed flawless.
Many other users here on the forum are satisfied with their A139 too.

First of all, you must decide on what dashcam are you talking about.
I said that that is early to talk about heat issue on A139 Pro, not A139.
Most of "heat" issue on this forum with A139 turned out to be a bad/incompatible memory card, bad hardwire or using other power suply/cable than ones provided by Viofo.
Of course, most of amazon users don't know such details and they send back the item plus 1 star review.
Lack of display would not be considered a minus by most of dashcams enthusiasts. On the contrary, for example, well guess what, a unit without display it will produce less heat and less energy consumption.

Last edited:
First of all, you must decide on what dashcam are you talking about.
I said that that is early to talk about heat issue on A139 Pro, not A139.
Most of "heat" issue on this forum with A139 turned out to be a bad/incompatible memory card, bad hardwire or using other power suply/cable than ones provided by Viofo.
Of course, most of amazon users don't know such details and they send back the item plus 1 star review.
Lack of display would not be considered a minus by most of dashcams enthusiasts. On the contrary, for example, well guess what, a unit without display it will produce less heat and less energy consumption.
thank you for that information - that helps!

I have two preferred options now:

A) I go for the A139 pro 2Ch dual system.

I guess I am more flexible if I change cars which happens every 12months in my case.
However - and I guess thats true - the rear-cameras usually kinda suck or at least are not comparable with their front-counterparts.
Also I read that the front cameras sometimes decrease quality since the chip has to work both cameras instead of one only.

B) I buy the I buy seperate dashcams for the front and rear window.
Especially the vantrue E1 looks interesting as a rear camera since it is quite compact and has a remote included already.
The E1 costs 120€ and it will definitely produce better quality pictures then the rear camera of an E2, A129 Plus or A139 (pro) 2 Channel system.
And most of all I could easily plug it in the trunk without worrying about any cable management (at least on the current VW Golf 8 thats suuuuuper well placed for a dashcam).

For now I ordered the A139 pro and the E1. I will see how convient the E1 is at the rear and how difficult it is to install the A139 rear camera.
I am also not sure if the E1 works as rear camera due to the required angle on a rear window.

If I stay with the E1 as rear camera I mostly order the A119 mini as front camera

Last edited:
Question regarding Parking mode
I just thought about parking mode and thats the only "real" issue if I use two seperate dashcams or I will need 2 battery powerbanks - one in the trunk and one in the front. Thats a lot of plugging cables in and out eveytime I leave my car.

Do you generally have any suggestions / instructions for parking mode with these cameras if I want to use parking mode with my dashcam

Thats a lot of plugging cables in and out eveytime I leave my car.
This is not how parking mode works. Also i have a feeling that you are talking about standard powerbanks, wich are not suitable for this purpose.

This is not how parking mode works. Also i have a feeling that you are talking about standard powerbanks, wich are not suitable for this purpose.
Enlighten me please.

Thats one example I refer to. Please tell me why this shouldn't work and what I need instead

Last edited:
whats the issue?
Q: Why would someone pay $400 for a LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) dash cam battery pack when a $20 Li-ion (Lithium-ion) Power Bank can do the same thing?

A: Safety Issue.
Lithium-ion Power Banks will explode into flames when left in a hot parked car.

Nobody says it "can do the same thing".
The statement was, that 20€ batterys dont work. And thats not true.

Obviously theres luxorious versions. But you can also not say that an Volkswagen is not "suitable" only because a BMW can transport you more comfortably.

I am not living in an hot area so I don't really care about those things.
Thats comparing apples and oranges but asserting that one doesn't work at all.

@Panzer Platform I got a Neo 6 Batterypack for a good price and will follow your recommendation, thank you for that.

However I am still wondering if I should just go for an A139 Pro 2ch oooor rather buy 2 seperate dashcams.
The Neo 6 should be able to power two seperate dashcams for at least 12h!
And the back camera of any 2Ch (or Duo Dashcam) suck.

I give up the "easy cable installation" if I need to plug both individual dashcams into my Neo 6 - however I worry that the rear camera from the A139 2Ch might not be good enough.

Parking Guard is one of my main reasons for getting a dashcam at all because I was victim of hit and run parking accicedents 4x within the last 5 years!

Can anyone take my worry regarding an 30fps 1080p rear camera or has anyone experience and says "definitely go for 2 seperate dashcams in that case"?

PS: Does the rear camera of a Duo set (2ch) even work or is only the front camera active in parking mode!?

Parking Guard is one of my main reasons for getting a dashcam at all because I was victim of hit and run parking accicedents 4x within the last 5 years!
If you've waited 5 years to buy a dash cam, surely you can wait a little longer for the A229 Pro Duo.
Or if you can't wait any longer you could buy two A139 Pro 1-channel dash cams.

If you've waited 5 years to buy a dash cam, surely you can wait a little longer for the A229 Pro Duo.
Or if you can't wait any longer you could buy two A139 Pro 1-channel dash cams.
I do get a brand new car in 2 weeks. Therefore I am bit willing to wait any time longer but equip the new vehicle immediately with a dashcam.

Is the neo 6 able to power 2x a139 1ch?

And out of curiosity: when is the A229 pro supposed to be released?

Last edited:
And out of curiosity: when is the A229 pro supposed to be released?
There is no official release date. Sometime 2023 would be a guess.
Is the neo 6 able to power 2x a139 1ch?
A139 Pro 1-Channel power consumption;
Low Bitrate Parking Mode, Wi-Fi Off;
250mAh @ 12.60 Volts = 3.1 Watts

Cellink Neo 6 = 76Wh
76.8Wh divided by 6.2W = 12.3 Hours of Parking Mode Time

Q: Why would someone pay $400 for a LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) dash cam battery pack when a $20 Li-ion (Lithium-ion) Power Bank can do the same thing?

A: Safety Issue.
Lithium-ion Power Banks will explode into flames when left in a hot parked car.
Yep, I have a LiFePO4 off grid kit in my Jeep.

I posted a question about whether I need the BlackVue inline fuxes if I'm hard wiring to a Blue Sea fuse box that has a 1a or 2a fuse.

Wiring would be so much cleaner and easier without the inline fuses.

My LiFePO4 kit:

Last edited:
Back