Viofo A139 Testing thread

Look like nighttime sub zero temperatures are on the order here, so far the first night was no problem. (y)

Look like nighttime sub zero temperatures are on the order here, so far the first night was no problem. (y)
For you, or the A139?

both, i have not turned on the heat here yet, and this time of the year getting into my car, well you do not want to hear the first audio on a drive session cuz it is just me coursing the weather and my place on the globe

Kamkar, we need to move to Tahiti where we can watch Moena do ori fa'arapu. Bring your heart medicine- you'll need it after watching that :LOL:

Phil

As long as it is not hypothermia everything else they can just bring on.

Today while sunny all day, when i made my drive in the early afternoon the temperature just reached 5 deg C, and before the drive i had to douse my car in 2 L of warm tap water to take care of the ice that even by then have not defrosted as the back yard dont get any sun this time of the year.
Actually now the sun on its apex are just 15 degrees or so over the horizon, so now shades are even more needed than in the summer.

I actually contemplated sharing a bit of my drive today to demonstrate my seasonal problem.
Right now its just about midnight and the temperature are 1 deg C, it will keep falling to -3 or something during the night,daytime temperatures will stay under 5 deg C for the next 10 days or so.

I have also voiced my problem to the girls on the gas station selling me lotto tickets, and i really need them to pull thru for me, not least since i found out one of them drive a Mercedes, so i was like WTH do you make yourself the good lotto tickets and just sell me garbage.

Last edited:
As long as it is not hypothermia everything else they can just bring on.

Today while sunny all day, when i made my drive in the early afternoon the temperature just reached 5 deg C, and before the drive i had to douse my car in 2 L of warm tap water to take care of the ice that even by then have not defrosted as the back yard dont get any sun this time of the year.
Actually now the sun on its apex are just 15 degrees or so over the horizon, so now shades are even more needed than in the summer.

My car door handle was frozen stuck friday morning in the UK at 7am, temperature was 3 deg c apparently, I had to pour some warm water on it to free it (y)

I have also voiced my problem to the girls on the gas station selling me lotto tickets, and i really need them to pull thru for me, not least since i found out one of them drive a Mercedes, so i was like WTH do you make yourself the good lotto tickets and just sell me garbage.

:ROFLMAO:

My car door handle was frozen stuck friday morning in the UK at 7am, temperature was 3 deg c apparently, I had to pour some warm water on it to free it (y)

:ROFLMAO:
swap you, we had 32° at 7am here, only got hotter from there on in, stinker of a day

I would rather have stinky feet, than ice forming on my hot too hairy head after my haircut last week.
But in those temperatures i would be barefoot or wearing flip flops i think, only been in that situation when i sailed the big tankers, but there barefoot was out of the question on a steel deck.

They say if you visit a new Aussie beach every day, you will be doing that for a while, that do not sound all that bad in my ears.

hehe yeah i can imagine.

as a holiday it's great, living the 9 to 5 when it gets high into the 40's sucks big time
Been through plenty of "hot" summers here and elsewhere, but nothing like that. Nor would I want to have to deal with that every day for any length of time. I can barely stand it here anymore.... at least while I'm working.

But it still beats needing a snow shovel :)

Phil

swap you, we had 32° at 7am here, only got hotter from there on in, stinker of a day
Are all your dashcams still working? Do you even use parking mode in temperatures like that?

I'm glad that I'm not able to test in such weather conditions. I'm quite happy with my not-too-cold, not-too-hot UK climate

Do we think the A139 will tolerate the heat well?

Are all your dashcams still working? Do you even use parking mode in temperatures like that?

I'm glad that I'm not able to test in such weather conditions. I'm quite happy with my not-too-cold, not-too-hot UK climate

My A139 seems to shutdown itself during parking mode for Auto Event Detection and Low Bitrate mode parked outside in the sun :unsure:

If i had the HW kit parking mode would probably not be a problem up here at the moment, daytime temperatures are under 5 deg C today and in the coming days and not a little hole in the skies for the sun to peek thru.
Going on a long drive now as once again family have called upon the service of big brother / uncle, and thats a call i can not turn down.

There will be some uttering of foul words and cursing in my little red cold car in 5 - 10 minutes :) though i should not complain as it is 2 degrees outside and no ice on the car i have to deal with first.

My A139 seems to shutdown itself during parking mode for Auto Event Detection and Low Bitrate mode parked outside in the sun :unsure:
That's interesting - I've not read any other reports of that happening, although you are one of the few testers in a warm country right now.

Do all channels shut down at the same time?

Have you checked whether the cutoff has activated?

That's interesting - I've not read any other reports of that happening, although you are one of the few testers in a warm country right now.

Do all channels shut down at the same time?

Have you checked whether the cutoff has activated?

I can view all channels in parking mode that it ran for an hour then nothing. My U1000 recorded longer in parking mode than the A139. Both dashcams is set to cut off at 12v.

Now after some time using the Samsung Evo Plus, the A139 will all of sudden start to beep non-stop while I'm driving until I force it off using the power button. Happened 2 times now.

Before I thought was the Transcend High Endurance card.

No and yes (good question BTW (y))

No because it's not a Mobius or Street Guardian which are very good with heat at the cost of parking mode features and vid resolution ;)

The "Yes" is based on comparison with other high-res multi-channel cams where I think this one will excel or at least do as well as can be done :) We know the background here; we've seen the current heatsink design, and Viofo says it's being improved. You can't make top performance levels without making heat. You can get performance or cool operation but not both :cautious: So I don't think it's going to be something I'd recommend for parking mode usage in hot climates but as a driving cam in those places it should do reasonably well. It's currently being tested in Malaysia and IIRC in the Middle East where it's seeing some heat. And so far just this one report of heat-related issues. Hotter times and places are on the way so then we will know more :cool:

Heat also affects cards. Maybe we DCT members should begin taking note of which cards work best in heat when driven hard? I think that's going to matter in the future whereas before it was mostly cam heat we had to be concerned with. We've never pushed cards this hard in the past save perhaps for the FW modders who run bitrates to the extremes.

The A139 is cutting-edge and state-of-the-art for dashcams so there's definitely going to be some learning going on, but so far I think it's looking good :giggle:

Phil

I am glad i generally have no need for parking guard, it do add a handful of spanners to the job of being a good dashcam, the challenge is to keep the spanners out of the gears.

Back