Viofo A139 Testing thread

You can see the Viofo (bottom) is definetly clearer, although I should probably turn off NV on the blackvue to make it more fairer.
The closing speed of the 2 cars is a bit too much to read the number plates.

I will upload some more daytime footage of the viofo although it feels like my video is not as sharp as others, maybe I need to try a newer firmware.

Another comparison video, newest firmware on the viofo. I turned off Night Vision on the Blackvue but it's still quite blurry in comparison

You can see in some places the number plate of the car in front is too blurry on Blackvue, switching to the Viofo would be a great step up for me. I am aware these dashcams are really not comparable (the blackvue has older sensor and less resolution), I am mostly trying to gauge for myself the improvements in upgrading my setup.

I've had the A139 for a few days now and I'm a bit disappointed with the image quality.
The license plate recognizes the A119 V3 better than the new A139.
Maybe that's because the a139 has a wider viewing angle and therefore does not look as close to the front as the A119.

I'll stick with my A119 v3.

Maybe that's because the a139 has a wider viewing angle and therefore does not look as close to the front as the A119.
That does make a significant difference, you can see more on the A139, but in less detail.

I think the A139 is the better compromise, if a vehicle causes a problem for you then it normally does get close enough to read the plates.

You may also have less bitrate on the A139, depending on setup, and that can also make some difference. It does have 3 channels to write to the memory card, so a lower bitrate is not surprising, otherwise it would need better memory cards.

It's odd that Viofo calls A119v3 as 140 degrees view, A139 front camera also as 140 degrees view, A129 Duo front camera is also 140 degrees view.

Maybe it's some aspect ratio vs the diagonal thing that makes your actual view slightly wider or narrower. If only they publish the horizontal view for a given resolution setting.

I've had the A139 for a few days now and I'm a bit disappointed with the image quality.
The license plate recognizes the A119 V3 better than the new A139.
Quality is an aspect, plates readability is another. Sensor is IMX335 on both cameras, so the quality of image is the same. Readability of plates is dependent of angle of view. I have A129+, basically the same camera as A139 and there is enough plates readability also on these DVRs. Plus wider field of view. You can see more in laterals.
Lens on V3 seems to be cheaper, it offers softer and lower contrasted images. See here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a129-new-user-finally.43871/#post-536339
So, I congratulate myself that I choose an A129+ after I returned a defective V3. ;)

Last edited:
Plate capture are good,,,,, even very good thing to have if you need it.
BUT ! as a lot of factors have a say in weather this is possible or not ( most often not camera hardware related as such ) then it is not something you should focus too much on, CUZ if you do sooner or later any camera will be a disappointment to you, as there are plenty of times even during a summer day where you will not capture a plate.

Even if you have the dashcam the leading 50 dashcam experts in the world have agreed upon is the best dashcam.

IF ! you have a event, you will be wise to see the plate of the offender yourself and call it out for the microphone to record.

Here you can see the differences.
The A139 has a wider viewing angle
With the A119, the cars, generally the image are closer, as if zoomed in.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • Vergleich1.png
    Vergleich1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Vergleich2.png
    Vergleich2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Vergleich3.png
    Vergleich3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Look like the A139 really want to use a slower exposure time than the other one, and so suffer from motion blur when the other one dont as much.
No doubt there are IQ gains to be made with the A139, and as the other model prove they are right there for the picking.

Here you can see the differences.
The A139 has a wider viewing angle
With the A119, the cars, generally the image are closer, as if zoomed in.
What's the advantage, after you, to read plates numbers from bigger distance? As Nigel said above, you only need to read the plate number of the car you would be involved in an accident. But having a larger field of view (FOV), you could capture that car even if you would be hit in lateral, where a small FOV camera couldn't "see". Look how a so-called disadvantage become a solid advantage. ;)

I had a stupid story.... I can even show this, here I had an accident:
(Youtube degrades the quality extremely)

The silver Audi after crash could have been my witness, only you can read his license plate very bad, not 100%.
With the A139 nothing at all would be possible.

I have already said myself that there are advantages and disadvantages, as you have already written. Maybe I have to me, if something happens, exactly then the passing cars whose license plate read aloud so that they are secured by audio.

I'll probably stay with the A139, but I still have to send it back because the rear camera is broken, the wobbles in the housing and the recording is extremely bad, that's not normal.

I have a spare A139 rear camera, my car was broken into just in this new year, and my main unit was vandalized, but i think you can use the rear camera, i will be happy to mail it to you if you like.

Viofo said they will send me a new test camera, and i am very happy about that cuz i like the A139 so far.

A139 has bigger resolution than A119S (1440p vs 1080p). I asure you that you can see plates from two lanes distance with A139. You will save the frame from within the RAW video and you will be able to read plates.
Look a frame from a video from my A129+ (same FOV).

PS: and there is another advantage of these camera: they have better optics, sharper and with more contrast. See here.

Attachments

• 20210124100949_000326F.MP4_snapshot_01.16.511.jpg
    20210124100949_000326F.MP4_snapshot_01.16.511.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thanks for sending the rear camera, very cool, I would otherwise first wait and see what Viofo says about it and then i will write here again :)
I uploaded a video of the rear camera, is this normal or does he have a bug? You can not read anything felt.

What settings should i use with the a139?

ursamajor, also in this video of yours I find that one can read the markings of the vehicles better with the 119er, even if perhaps other details are clearer like e.g. trees.

I find it difficult to decide which is more important.

A139 +++ Viewing angle and details at the edges.
A119 +++ License plate better readable
A119 +++ Sky / clouds better recognizable (setting thing?)
A119 --- Less viewing angle

You will watch your videos and see how far you can read the plates? Then, you should buy A119V3.
If you want better optics, wider angle of view, enough plates readability, you should buy the other.
Note also that A119V3 firmware is mature, camera is older.
What do you mean with "sky and clouds recognizable"? Of course, that is setting related...

PS: I don't see the video (mine) you linked, link is broken.
PPS: in your video, do you have a parasolar? The image of camera is very bad...

Last edited:
I uploaded a video of the rear camera, is this normal or does he have a bug? You can not read anything felt.
Appears to be focused too close. Yes, I would say that has a problem, but Kamkar may be able to fix it if you exchange cameras...

Note that the A139 has a higher front resolution than the A119S so at the front, plates would be easier to read, the rear resolution is the same, there should not be much difference except for the field of view which I think is similar. You were a bit unlucky that Audi moved over into the 3rd lane, but if it was the Audi that had hit you then you would have the plate.

The A119 V3 is the same resolution as the A139 front and it has the narrower field of view which we can see in your images above, so yes, that will win on reading plates, if the plates are in the image.

A139 +++ Viewing angle and details at the edges.
A119 +++ License plate better readable
A119 +++ Sky / clouds better recognizable (setting thing?)
A119 --- Less viewing angle
You can get better clouds if you set the EV one step negative, but then the dark areas will become darker which you may not like. Try it out, some people will prefer it like that.

For the rest, there is no correct answer. Possibly the A129 Pro 4K solves the problem, although that has a negative of not being so good in low light.

If you want my rear camera just PM me down the line, i am in here a lot, and just north in Denmark so shouldent take long to get down to you.

Anyone ever had an experience where there's a stutter in the video but recorded the audio? Yesterday when driving home in the rain, felt like I hit something on the highway and went to review the footage... The moment if the impact, Viofo A139 didn't record that few second, instead, froze in the frame and continued recording afterwards, but the audio was recorded. Maybe my memory card (Samsung Evo Plus 128gb) went bad? Though it's been recording fine...

Trimmed clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kzodv714_OFpw8-Y8BLTOkNyi1nD5ZEk/view?usp=sharing

What settings have you made in the A139?
What is this FHD + FHD + FHD? Full HD as far as I know, but this 2K? Is this better than FHD and which camera is this, the front?

WDR for example, on or off? And can i turn off the G-Sensor?

Anyone ever had an experience where there's a stutter in the video but recorded the audio? Yesterday when driving home in the rain, felt like I hit something on the highway and went to review the footage... The moment if the impact, Viofo A139 didn't record that few second, instead, froze in the frame and continued recording afterwards, but the audio was recorded. Maybe my memory card (Samsung Evo Plus 128gb) went bad? Though it's been recording fine...

Trimmed clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kzodv714_OFpw8-Y8BLTOkNyi1nD5ZEk/view?usp=sharing
I haven’t experienced that before. I hit a pothole last week that was enough to trigger the g sensor, that recorded fine. In that clip it sounds like the audio stuttered too. Are all plugs connected securely? power supplies secure either at 12v socket or hardwire joins/fuse taps?

Back