Viofo A229 - Dual channel 2K+2K dashcam with Wi-Fi

I never use WDR, try turning it off.
This is not correct, there is no WDR, the matrix does not support this mode, and under the concept of WDR there is just a gamma correction, where it is automatically corrected depending on the exposure !!
Easy to check, stand in the shade and turn WDR on/off, here's an example!!

Attachments

• 2N.jpg
    2N.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Not the best place to overtake, but a very clear view of his plate!

At least it was "Non Hazardous"!

y4mWu7NqwcfUEhTaddnb4OhB2xbULAQ5xIKB2brYI053drqhvyOccjJ7u0dUC9U-5hfCzIh37oE1CV-3IU8gs1LXJMhjmzmK2Bj_G_8VjZbCf7Bl90U28YapPa-AbYUYi3Vh21UPS1y9fpPFoVEmjGICMG6E7Es_50KoGYenyprKK8

I was just browsing the clips in the folder (looking for a red light infraction by someone) when I noticed that the playback changed sequence, going from Front then Rear to Rear then Front.

Wonder why that is? Anyone else had similar? All files still played correctly, just saved in reverse order suddenly.

Untitled.png

I was just browsing the clips in the folder (looking for a red light infraction by someone) when I noticed that the playback changed sequence, going from Front then Rear to Rear then Front.

Wonder why that is? Anyone else had similar? All files still played correctly, just saved in reverse order suddenly.

View attachment 61262
All Viofo's dashcams do that!

Even if you sort them by name instead of date/time!!

It seems that processing of the front and rear are separate processes and it is a bit random which gets done first.

It would be nice to get that "sorted", but I suspect it would be a big change.

Last edited:
There is no WDR and without the HDR option reading numbers are excluded!
And A229 will not support HDR - message VIOFO !!
Oh man! :|
That's a real bummer. I thought CPL Filter would help in countering this, so got one CPL Filter too. This is disappointing, Viofo.

This is the result with CPL. This image is with low beams.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 21.23.54.png

This is with the high beams

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 21.24.05.png
That's exactly what I was going to say, but was afraid to admit it. lol
-Chuck
I don't know what happened to Viofo. Never in their older dashcams I faced this issue, not to this extent. This is just illegible. What exactly is wrong with Viofo these days? Why sell such a half baked product?

More images with Low Beam:

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 21.26.15.png

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 21.24.30.png

This is the result with CPL. This image is with low beams.
Are your beams correctly adjusted? They seem a bit high?

If they were lower, then the problem may disappear.
If you have an adjustment for beam height (for towing) then turn them down so that the plates are not in the bright part of the beam.

You can also switch to "side lamps" (headlights off) for a second whenever you want to be sure of reading a plate.

Are your beams correctly adjusted? They seem a bit high?

If they were lower, then the problem may disappear.
If you have an adjustment for beam height (for towing) then turn them down so that the plates are not in the bright part of the beam.

You can also switch to "side lamps" (headlights off) for a second whenever you want to be sure of reading a plate.
Yes. Beams are stock. It's a SUV so the plates seem lower than the car.

If they were lower, then I'd have visibility issues. Some roads are pothole ridden, so need to keep it at that height.

I don't wish to switch to side lamps. It defeats the entire purpose of dashcam. See these images:

Some are with High Beam and some with low. Used high beam to match the height of my low beam of another car. Have blurred their plates for privacy, otherwise the plate was legible. Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 22.41.56.pngScreenshot 2022-08-16 at 22.42.40.png

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 22.40.41.png

I'm sorry I forgot to mention, these images are from Viofo A119 v2. This is for comparison with A229. Same road, same speeds, same traffic, same lighting and see the difference in images. Both cameras have CPL Filter installed.

One more point regarding car headlights, they are stock bulbs in stock headlamps (60/55W). I do get that they sit a lot higher than the sedan ones, which maybe the cause of overexposure. But isn't this known by Viofo how these cameras would work in SUVs? Mine has halogen bulbs. There are others which come pre-fitted with LEDs. What does the camera do then? I was planning to change the headlamps with better reflectors, now I am confused whether to go ahead or not because it'd increase the light output a bit and I'm afraid the camera's video quality would deteriorate further.

Even at crawling speeds the camera cannot set an equivalent exposure irrespective of WDR. I am afraid if this is with front camera, what would it be like in rear camera as it has to face direct beam of headlamps.

Any information if Viofo is working on this issue to fix it?

I'm sorry I forgot to mention, these images are from Viofo A119 v2. This is for comparison with A229. Same road, same speeds, same traffic, same lighting and see the difference in images. Both cameras have CPL Filter installed.

One more point regarding car headlights, they are stock bulbs in stock headlamps (60/55W). I do get that they sit a lot higher than the sedan ones, which maybe the cause of overexposure. But isn't this known by Viofo how these cameras would work in SUVs? Mine has halogen bulbs. There are others which come pre-fitted with LEDs. What does the camera do then? I was planning to change the headlamps with better reflectors, now I am confused whether to go ahead or not because it'd increase the light output a bit and I'm afraid the camera's video quality would deteriorate further.

Even at crawling speeds the camera cannot set an equivalent exposure irrespective of WDR. I am afraid if this is with front camera, what would it be like in rear camera as it has to face direct beam of headlamps.

Nice examples.

It seems the images of the A119 are darker.
Just wondering if you reduced the wdr would it improve the number plate readability?

Same road, same speeds, same traffic, same lighting and see the difference in images. Both cameras have CPL Filter installed.
But with the camera fitted to a car instead of an SUV?

All the new examples are dipped beam with the plates above the cutoff, so not in the bright part. The ones with the problem have the plates in the bright part of the beam.

If they were lower, then I'd have visibility issues. Some roads are pothole ridden, so need to keep it at that height.

Might be worth a try with it set a little lower, keep it safe, but unless you try, you will not know.

But isn't this known by Viofo how these cameras would work in SUVs?
This is a problem with SUVs, maybe the dashcam needs an "SUV" setting, so that it can expose differently!
I'm sure Viofo understands, I think the boss drives an SUV.

I was planning to change the headlamps with better reflectors, now I am confused whether to go ahead or not because it'd increase the light output a bit and I'm afraid the camera's video quality would deteriorate further.
Well it is not working as it is, so it can't deteriorate much further! If the new reflectors give a better spread of light, or a lower beam cutoff for dipped beam, then new ones might improve things, so I suggest you go ahead with your plans. Don't do it to improve the dashcam image though, it may, but I don't expect a big improvement.

I don't know currently, but it seems a few people do have this issue with the A229, so I am sure it will be looked at fairly soon.

But with the camera fitted to a car instead of an SUV?
Yes, this one is a Hyundai sedan. Will try both cameras in SUV side-by-side soon, it's just I've hardwired them and it's difficult to detach and move. Need to find mini-USB wire temporarily for this experiment.
All the new examples are dipped beam with the plates above the cutoff, so not in the bright part. The ones with the problem have the plates in the bright part of the beam.
No no. Not all are dipped beam. Let me clarify it, third image of #148 is with high beams on. You can see the beam near the plates, bumpers overexposed.
Might be worth a try with it set a little lower, keep it safe, but unless you try, you will not know.
I'll try that too. Right now it's at 0 level. We have 4 settings here, 0-3. Lower number indicates farther throw.
This is a problem with SUVs, maybe the dashcam needs an "SUV" setting, so that it can expose differently!
I'm sure Viofo understands, I think the boss drives an SUV.
They need to sort this out soon. If they could do it 5-6 years back, I hope they do it now too. A119 is what has kept me loyal to Viofo, even when they have insanely increased their prices.
Well it is not working as it is, so it can't deteriorate much further! If the new reflectors give a better spread of light, or a lower beam cutoff for dipped beam, then new ones might improve things, so I suggest you go ahead with your plans. Don't do it to improve the dashcam image though, it may, but I don't expect a big improvement.
True. Will change them soon and I'll post the results here, before and after. Could be my car's model is at fault but the chances are slim because I found atleast one person who shares the same problem and has a different vehicle although SUV.
I don't know currently, but it seems a few people do have this issue with the A229, so I am sure it will be looked at fairly soon.
I hope they do it soon. I was really excited to buy a new model as the last purchase I made was almost half a decade back. I thought they would have improved on the shortcomings of A119 and A119S but sigh!

Nice examples.

It seems the images of the A119 are darker.
Just wondering if you reduced the wdr would it improve the number plate readability?
WDR only has one setting - On/Off. Do you mean the exposure value? I have not tinkered with the exposure settings on either of the dashcam. They both are at stock value of exposure, which is at 0. Neither dark nor bright.

As you mentioned, if I decrease the exposure the roads which are not lit will come out really darker. I don't think it'd help much. It can work where the roads are lit properly, but considering the places I venture and the roads I travel I am apprehensive about reducing this value.

Last edited:
Yes, this one is a Hyundai sedan. Will try both cameras in SUV side-by-side soon, it's just I've hardwired them and it's difficult to detach and move. Need to find mini-USB wire temporarily for this experiment.

No no. Not all are dipped beam. Let me clarify it, third image of #148 is with high beams on. You can see the beam near the plates, bumpers overexposed.

I'll try that too. Right now it's at 0 level. We have 4 settings here, 0-3. Lower number indicates farther throw.

They need to sort this out soon. If they could do it 5-6 years back, I hope they do it now too. A119 is what has kept me loyal to Viofo, even when they have insanely increased their prices.

True. Will change them soon and I'll post the results here, before and after. Could be my car's model is at fault but the chances are slim because I found atleast one person who shares the same problem and has a different vehicle although SUV.

I hope they do it soon. I was really excited to buy a new model as the last purchase I made was almost half a decade back. I thought they would have improved on the shortcomings of A119 and A119S but sigh!

WDR only has one setting - On/Off. Do you mean the exposure value? I have not tinkered with the exposure settings on either of the dashcam. They both are at stock value of exposure, which is at 0. Neither dark nor bright.

As you mentioned, if I decrease the exposure the roads which are not lit will come out really darker. I don't think it'd help much. It can work where the roads are lit properly, but considering the places I venture and the roads I travel I am apprehensive about reducing this value.
Brain fade on my part. yes exposure settings.
Number plate flare out also happened in my sedan using the T130. Headlights are focus beams xenon's
The T130 I think uses the same sensor as the A229.

I also run a A129 Duo which I fall back on occasionally but haven't done a comparison on number plates recently but now I'm curious now.

It helps if you do post exactly the same images for comparison, as Nigel pointed out they weren't like for like and doesn't really prove your point.

Post the results of this please, it is not clear to me why some people are having this problem, is it just SUVs/pickup trucks/HGVs, or is the A229 actually worse than the A119 V3 for this problem on all vehicles.

When you point the beams down a little, remember that the more distance you leave to the car in front, the lower the beams will hit, and so the more chance of reading the plates - always a good idea to leave a good space to the car in front anyway!

I also run a A129 Duo which I fall back on occasionally but haven't done a comparison on number plates recently but now I'm curious now.
The A129 Duo might do slightly better for this particular problem, its sensor has a little more dynamic range than the A229 sensor, however it is only FHD resolution, so when not using headlights, the A229 will win easily, and even with headlights I expect the A229 will do better with plates that are not in the beam.

To make the numbers somehow readable, set the exposure to minus 3 !!!
But of course this is not an option! :)

To make the numbers somehow readable, set the exposure to minus 3 !!!
But of course this is not an option! :)
A better option would be to fit polarised headlamps, then you could block most of the reflected light off the back of the car in front while still seeing most of the other light... :unsure:

only HDR will solve the problem of reading numbers!! :mad:
Or a sensor with sufficient dynamic range so that it doesn't need HDR.

Alright guys. I did the comparison today. You can see the results down below, but before that few points.

A119 was affixed without CPL Filter as the camera cannot be mounted to a near vertical windshield without GPS Logger. A229 was affixed with CPL Filter, here I encountered something strange. GPS does not work always. When I was viewing the footage, found out GPS did not work in the trip.

Firmware of A229 is the factory one - V1.0_0511. WDR is set to off with exposure at 0.

Now, coming to the lighting part. Since it is an SUV, beam adjustment does not matter much because the plates are at the lower end of the bumper. So whichever position I choose for beams from 0-3, the case stays the same for hatchbacks i.e Plates are not readable on hatchbacks. For sedans, it varies because the plates are at the boot which is higher than the bumper. In some cars it makes a little difference as whereas in other none.

Point worth mentioning is it is unsafe to drive with beam set at 3 as the throw of light is reduced vastly. It makes driving really uncomfortable add potholes and people coming in on roads from divider, it's high risk. Not worth it IMO especially in my conditions.

I have blurred the last digits of the plate in images where plate is visible, so please don't think it is camera's fault. There have been 0 changes in these photos except for the blur. No colour enhancement, nothing. These images are screenshots from the footage.

The following images are from A119: (I'm not sure whether it's v1 or v2, as the box does not mention anything except A119. I assume it's v1)

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.08.10.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.09.56.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.11.16.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.14.29.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.16.50.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.17.41.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.20.20.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.44.26.png

Last edited:
The following images are from A229:

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.07.48.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.10.13.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.11.25.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.14.38.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.16.38.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.17.59.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.20.30.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 22.44.17.png

Viofo, please have a look here. IMO, Colours and legibility of plates are definitely better in A119. A119v3 had HDR, was it not working well? Why could that not be improved in A229, rather than just skipping it?

I bought A229 thinking it would be better and improved than A119. Sigh.

Post the results of this please, it is not clear to me why some people are having this problem, is it just SUVs/pickup trucks/HGVs, or is the A229 actually worse than the A119 V3 for this problem on all vehicles.
These results are from A119 not even v2 or v3.
When you point the beams down a little, remember that the more distance you leave to the car in front, the lower the beams will hit, and so the more chance of reading the plates - always a good idea to leave a good space to the car in front anyway!
True. But beam set at 3, closest to the vehicle just hinders the view. It's not comfortable driving at that level. FYI, this does not work on hatchbacks as their plates are already very low. No matter which beam or level I am on, their plates are not visible in direct light.

Last edited:
Back