Viofo A229 - Dual channel 2K+2K dashcam with Wi-Fi

I have a new FW from Viofo Support which appears to have sorted out the dropped frame issues.

All looking pretty good now. Here's a bit from today....

However ***EDIT***

It's been noticed that on a 3 minute file, the audio stops at around 1.67 seconds from the end.

Plus if you edit a front and rear file from the same time line, then the audio is out of sync.

Paul.

Last edited:
I have a new FW from Viofo Support which appears to have sorted out the dropped frame issues.

All looking pretty good now. Here's a bit from today....

Paul.
I tested that same updated firmware with similar results regarding the video. Unfortunately, there's now a loss of about 1.67 seconds of audio at the end of each video file.

I tested that same updated firmware with similar results regarding the video. Unfortunately, there's now a loss of about 1.67 seconds of audio at the end of each video file.

I just checked, and yeah, seems like I have the same problem. Best to let Bill know.

Also noticed audio is out of sync now.

Paul.

Last edited:
I dropped him a line as well Robert, mentioning that you had done so and that it affected mine too.

Paul.

If you play back the file, you will also hear that the audio isn't in sync from the 2 cameras.

Paul.

I do not have a new firmware.

If you play back the file, you will also hear that the audio isn't in sync from the 2 cameras.

Paul.
I just looked at front/rear video files from today's test and there's a 1 frame audio offset between the front/rear video files. The rear camera's video file audio track has one additional frame of audio in the beginning of the file making it offset from the front camera's audio by 1 frame for the entire video.

1655417745818.png

Both audio tracks get cutoff at the same frame from the end of the video file.

1655417965186.png

Any idea of the cause?

I wonder if it will do the same in different video lengths.

Any idea of the cause?

I wonder if it will do the same in different video lengths.
There are many potential causes. The other thing that should be tested by someone is to have the A229 record someone speaking with their mouth being visible to confirm the audio and video are truly in sync.

When I reviewed the BlackVue DR750X-3CH Plus dash cam, the interior video and audio were out of sync by 1/2 to 3/4 of a second, but it was easy to see the issue since the driver's face was always in view. Pittasoft issued a firmware fix to correct that bug.

The Coax socket for the rear camera cable, a little bigger than the one on the A139, but it does carry larger 2K resolution video!
The cable itself is only a tiny bit thicker than the A139 cable, and rather more flexible, which is good.
(I left the fingerprint on for scale!)

I wonder what the diameter of the cable is? Viofo say 2.8mm on their website, but I just measured my A139 interior cable and that is 2.8mm, the one in your picture does look bigger than the A139 cables.

I wonder what the diameter of the cable is? Viofo say 2.8mm on their website, but I just measured my A139 interior cable and that is 2.8mm, the one in your picture does look bigger than the A139 cables.
The cables I have measure at:
A139: 2.8mm
A229: 3.0mm

I didn't put the measurements in the original post because I am not certain that either of my cables are current production cables, they probably are, but it is possible that either or both have been updated by now.

As I suggested, the extra 0.2mm, if it exists in the production cables, is not something to worry about, the extra flexibility is nice and likely to be more of an advantage, but again, I am not certain that has made it into the current production cables.

If you are trying to squeeze the connectors through tiny holes then the extra size of the connectors could be an issue, but they are still very small connectors so this is unlikely, more of an issue might be if the cable has ended up with two right angle connectors, not sure if that is the case or not, I know some people wanted two right angles, but they are more difficult to thread.

The cables I have measure at:
A139: 2.8mm
A229: 3.0mm

I didn't put the measurements in the original post because I am not certain that either of my cables are current production cables, they probably are, but it is possible that either or both have been updated by now.

As I suggested, the extra 0.2mm, if it exists in the production cables, is not something to worry about, the extra flexibility is nice and likely to be more of an advantage, but again, I am not certain that has made it into the current production cables.

If you are trying to squeeze the connectors through tiny holes then the extra size of the connectors could be an issue, but they are still very small connectors so this is unlikely, more of an issue might be if the cable has ended up with two right angle connectors, not sure if that is the case or not, I know some people wanted two right angles, but they are more difficult to thread.

Thanks for the detailed answer, good point about the right angle cables.

I have straight cables on both my production and sample A139s, I know that some people recieved the right angle ones instead.
I guess this could happen with the A229 as well so something to bear in mind if you need to get the right angle ones through tight spots.

I guess this could happen with the A229 as well so something to bear in mind if you need to get the right angle ones through tight spots.
The difference between A139 and A229 is that the A139 will always have straight connectors on the camera end, so as long as you start threading the cable at the correct end, it can always be threaded. Like I said, I'm not sure what the A229 currently comes with, and for most people it will not be an issue anyway.

In my kit for the A229, the cable going to the rear camera has one straight plug and one at an angle of 90 degrees.
I connected the corner plug to the main camera, and the straight plug to the back.
A229_6.jpeg

The Viofo website shows a cable with different plugs at the ends.

21.png 7.png

Last edited:
Yes - such multiple images are common when driving by anything with an LED light source, including car headlights.
But the wheels of the oncoming car do not have an LED light source. :unsure:
2022_0706_230538_F.MP4_snapshot_00.02_[2022.07.07_12.21.50].jpg
A229 without HDR

Last edited:
Reactions: gse
But the wheels of the oncoming car do not have an LED light source. :unsure:
View attachment 60969
True, that is why we only see 8 wheels on an 8 wheel car ;)

Or maybe it is a 4 wheel car with reflective wheels, that only reflect when the surfaces are at the correct angle.

in the past week or so,,,,, since the new Samsung card stopped working in the A229, i have been running a dirt cheap Silicon Power card in it, and the damn thing just work so far.

True, that is why we only see 8 wheels on an 8 wheel car ;)

Or maybe it is a 4 wheel car with reflective wheels, that only reflect when the surfaces are at the correct angle.
A119V3_HDR=on
1.jpg

Reactions: gse
Back