VIOFO A229 Duo - First Look

Your A229 rear camera looks soft, as if out of focus, particularly in the daytime videos. It doesn't have the definition I'd expect from 1440p compared to the others.
I believe your assessment of my particular A229 Duo's rear camera focus issue is correct. It appears soft to me as well. The only thing that looks "in focus" is the rear deck area inside of the car. The VIOFO T130's 1080p rear camera looks much sharper (more in focus), but it's not 100 percent in focus.

The BlackVue DR750X Plus rear camera (RC110F) also appears to be "very soft" and it's very underexposed (dark). After testing five different BlackVue "X Plus" products with the same model RC110F rear camera, they all look "soft" (with some small amount of difference between RC110F cameras) and very underexposed in most daylight lighting situations (thus the reason I have a open issue with Pittasoft). Pittasoft and I stopped exchanging dash cams back in January while their R&D group is "researching the issue".

When I first started reviewing dash cameras and I noticed an out of focus issue with one of the cameras, I would spend a lot of time trying to get a more in focus unit to test. Sometimes that effort was worth it and many times it was not. I received replacement units with the same or worse focus problems. Getting dash cameras replaced for focus issues can sometimes take 1 to 4 weeks. It also delayed my video release schedule and it multiplies the time investment because of all of the additional driving / testing to gather more video footage. If something is defective or grossly out of focus, I'll try to work with the dash cam company to get that resolved.

For YouTube videos that will only generate $1 USD to $10 USD, it's not worth my time and effort to resolve those kind of issues up front. I now show what I get and if that's a good thing or a bad thing, so be it.

I'll report this A229 Duo rear camera focus issue to my VIOFO contact and see if he wants to swap out the unit.

Getting dash cameras replaced for focus issues can sometimes take 1 to 4 weeks. It also delayed my video release schedule and it multiplies the time investment because of all of the additional driving / testing to gather more video footage. If something is defective or grossly out of focus, I'll try to work with the dash cam company to get that resolved.

For YouTube videos that will only generate $1 USD to $10 USD, it's not worth my time and effort to resolve those kind of issues up front. I now show what I get and if that's a good thing or a bad thing, so be it.
I completely understand the time investment. I wasn't suggesting that you re-do any of the footage. It's just a shame that Viofo didn't send you a good copy to demonstrate one of the key upgrades from the A129 to the A229.

Your A229 rear camera looks soft, as if out of focus, particularly in the daytime videos. It doesn't have the definition I'd expect from 1440p compared to the others.
I wonder if it is the bulletproof glass of the police car?

The vehicle I use to review most all of the dash cams I review is an ex-police service vehicle,

I take great care in making sure the my vehicle's windows are clean/clear on the inside and outside.
I would be interested to see some raw footage from one of your rear cameras without the rear window glass in the way... see if the softness disappears.

I am doubtful that it is a focus problem given that the furthest point from the lens that is still inside looks perfectly in focus.

There are reflections on the rear glass that don't help, but there are also artifacts that really look like grease/polish or some sort of film that is reducing the clarity of the image.

Nigel, you're making an assumption that the window glass in my ex-police car is bulletproof glass. While it is an ex-police car (former Unit 41 of the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department in California), it was never fitted with bulletproof glass or door panels. Some police upfitting companies may make such changes, but it's extremely expensive and many departments don't want the spend that kind of money on their patrol vehicles.

My car is a 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle). It was manufactured by the former GM Holden division in Australia (before they closed their doors in 2017). The base vehicle is a Holden Statesman and/or Caprice. Holden also manufactured the Holden Commodore VF and VF2 which is what the 2014-2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan was based on.

In the past, I owned a Chevrolet SS Sedan as well and installed dash cams to use and test. The 14-17 Chevy SS Sedan and 14-17 Chevy Caprice PPV are extremely similar in design with a few tweaks to the Caprice PPV for police service. It has a higher capacity alternator to allow it to charge the primary battery and an optional auxiliary battery. The interior of the 14-17 Caprice PPV has many low end plastics used and most of them came with a rubberized floor instead of carpet.

My point being that my 2014 Caprice PPV is for the most part a regular passenger vehicle with subtle tweaks to make it better for police service.

I wonder if it is the bulletproof glass of the police car?
The rear window glass in my car is rated as AS2 glass. AS2 is tempered with at least 70% light transmissions, and can be used anywhere except the windshield.

The windshield is rated as AS1 glass. AS1 is the clearest glass (at least 70% light transmission), is laminated, and can be used anywhere in a motor vehicle (typically just the windshield),

I checked my other two vehicles and their rear window glass are rated as AS3 glass. AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered, and has less than 70% light transmission).

Of the three vehicles I own, my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV has rear window glass that allows the most amount of light and it has no protection films installed nor any additional window tint installed.

I would be interested to see some raw footage from one of your rear cameras without the rear window glass in the way... see if the softness disappears.

I am doubtful that it is a focus problem given that the furthest point from the lens that is still inside looks perfectly in focus.

There are reflections on the rear glass that don't help, but there are also artifacts that really look like grease/polish or some sort of film that is reducing the clarity of the image.
The only things "on the inside of the rear window glass" are the heat element lines (rear window defroster) and FOB antenna line.

As far as the reflection on the inside of the rear window glass, that comes from the rear deck area behind the rear passenger seat. Most any car that is a sedan, will likely have the same type of rear deck area behind the rear seat. Not everybody drives a SUV (yet).

VIOFO and BlackVue do not offer CPLs for the rear cameras, otherwise I would use one. When I owned my former Chevy SS Sedan (same basic vehicle), I had my Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam installed. When Thinkware started selling their stick on CPL filters, I purchased them for both the front and rear cameras. I don't have that option for the dash cams I'm testing.

I have two screen shots from video I captured today with the A229 Duo rear camera. The first one is when I was backing out of my garage but just before the point when sunlight would hit the deck area behind the rear seat. I wanted to show an example with no reflections in the rear window glass. The clarity/focus of the image is quite good (I had to scale down the image size to allow them to be uploaded to this site).
viofo_a229_rear_20220520_100428.png

Now look at the same camera after the camera has been powered up for about 38 minutes. I picked an example with no sunlight reflecting off of the rear deck area. Notice how horrible the focus is now. The speed info shows 17 MPH, but I had just come to a full stop and the GPS speed updated downward a second or so later as I started moving again.
viofo_a229_rear_20220520_104252.png

This is the first time I've observed a focus issue get worse the longer the camera is running, but here's one example of that.

I also changed the settings of the T130 and the A229 Duo to turn off the WDR feature. I had to move back to my DR900X-2CH DMS Plus dash cam for my third powered dash cam in the car today (more firmware testing). I installed a CPL I purchased for the T130 front camera and I installed a CPL on the DR900X Plus front camera. As we all expected the windshield reflections were greatly reduced for those two cameras. I don't have an extra CPL that will fit the A229 Duo, so it was run without a CPL today (I ordered one and I hope to get it tomorrow).

The T130 front camera video looks much better with the CPL on during the daytime. The A229 front camera video looks good as well except for the windshield reflections.

viofo_a229_front_20220520_nocpl_lp.png viofo_t130_front_20220520_cpl_lp.png bv_dr900xplus_front_20220520_cpl_lp.png

The DR900X Plus front camera video has better colors as well, but there appears to be a focus issue with that camera. The left side is in focus, but gets worse if as you go the right in the image.

bv_dr900xplus_front_20220506_nocpl_badfocus.png

:unsure:

Last edited:
Hopefully a bit more evidence that my car's rear window glass has nothing to do with any particular dash camera's rear camera focus or exposure issue. Back in November 2020, I reviewed the BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE dash camera. From my video archive, I located dash cam footage used in that review video. The rear 1080p 30fps camera supplied with the DR750-2CH LTE was model RC100F. I also had my original Thinkware F800 Pro 2-channel dash cam installed. Both the front and rear F800 Pro cameras had the Thinkware stick on CPL filters installed.

Both 1080p 30fps rear cameras had relatively good focus/clarity (for a 1080p camera) and appropriate brightness levels (unlike the RC110F rear camera that's provided with the BlackVue "X Plus" dash cameras).

thinkware_f800pro_rear_cpl.png bv_dr750_2ch_lte_rear_rc100f.png

If the rear window glass in my car was that messed up to cause the type of blurriness and underexposure issues that some rear dash cameras have, I would also have difficulty seeing objects clearly while driving. I'm able to clearly see through my car's front/rear/side windows.

Hopefully a bit more evidence that my car's rear window glass has nothing to do with any particular dash camera's rear camera focus or exposure issue. Back in November 2020, I reviewed the BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE dash camera. From my video archive, I located dash cam footage used in that review video. The rear 1080p 30fps camera supplied with the DR750-2CH LTE was model RC100F. I also had my original Thinkware F800 Pro 2-channel dash cam installed. Both the front and rear F800 Pro cameras had the Thinkware stick on CPL filters installed.

Both 1080p 30fps rear cameras had relatively good focus/clarity (for a 1080p camera) and appropriate brightness levels (unlike the RC110F rear camera that's provided with the BlackVue "X Plus" dash cameras).

View attachment 60579 View attachment 60580

If the rear window glass in my car was that messed up to cause the type of blurriness and underexposure issues that some rear dash cameras have, I would also have difficulty seeing objects clearly while driving. I'm able to clearly see through my car's front/rear/side windows.
Ever heard of the expression "come in spinner"
This is what Nigel has done to you.

Nigel, you're making an assumption that the window glass in my ex-police car is bulletproof glass.
No, I was just wondering if it might be something different, or thicker than normal, or if it might have some sort of film over it to provide some extra protection against flying objects.

I have two screen shots from video I captured today with the A229 Duo rear camera.
Unfortunately, I am seeing those at HD resolution, not even FHD...

If the rear window glass in my car was that messed up to cause the type of blurriness and underexposure issues that some rear dash cameras have, I would also have difficulty seeing objects clearly while driving. I'm able to clearly see through my car's front/rear/side windows
How about you take the front A229 camera, remove it from the mount and power it from a powerbank, then post two framegrabs, one with it inside the rear window looking through the glass, and one with it outside looking at the same view, then we can rule out any glass issue without worrying about what type of glass it is, especially if you post a framegrab from the rear camera taken at the same time and showing the problem.

Both 1080p 30fps rear cameras had relatively good focus/clarity (for a 1080p camera)
It is not really fair to say that a 1080 camera has good focus while a 2K camera doesn't, maybe that is a focus issue, but it should have twice the detail, so it is much easier for it to show other issues, such as caused by a film of polish on the glass. We need to compare 2K with 2K.

Could be any number of things really. These cams are focused by hand on a production line, and a less-than-perfect component or lens might slip through sometimes. Heat-related focus shift is a known dashcam issue too. As a cam tester you should ask the manufacturer first, but if you can't find any other reason for an OOF condition you should consider refocusing it yourself as a means to positively identify what the problem is so they can resolve it. The work goes along with the position.

YouTube doesn't pay off until you get really big, and most of those who succeed to that level spent years getting there making little money, just doing it because they wanted to. Dashcam reviews are abundant there and the topic is somewhat limited in viewer interest so I'd say not to expect it to carry a channel too much. The established channels are going to get the subs and views necessary for success, and unless you've got something to offer which they don't you're not going to make much money there if any. Don't quit your day job trying to make a living on YT.

Phil

A229 Duo Firmware V1.0_0516 - AED Parking Mode Bug Fixes

A couple of weeks ago, I reported to VIOFO some auto event detection (AED) parking mode issues with the A119 Mini and the A229 Duo. I was supplied a test firmware for both dash cams to address those AED parking mode bugs.

A229 Duo - AED Parking Mode Bugs - Posted on 11-May-2022

AED Parking Mode Video - Video Before Triggering Motion

The user manual for the A229 Duo states that there should be 15 seconds of video before and 30 seconds after the triggering motion for a total length of 45 seconds. The AED video files are always 45 seconds in length, but I found that the very first set of AED parking mode files (front/rear) after it enters AED parking mode, will have zero seconds before the triggering motion. The 2nd through 'n'th AED parking mode video file sets will have about 13 seconds of video before the triggering motion.

The update to this issue is that with the V1.0_0516 firmware this issue has been resolved. All AED parking mode video files now contain the buffered video/audio before the triggering event (including the first set of video files for the first event after entering AED parking mode).

AED Parking Mode Power Consumption - mA @ 12.6 volts (for Watts see power consumption chart)

This may be related to the previous behavior of it having zero seconds of video prior to the triggering motion for the very first motion event after entering AED parking mode.

Before firmware V1.0_0516:

I observed the A229 Duo would reduce its power consumption to the 299 mA - 335 mA range when it first entered AED parking mode. As soon as the first motion event was detected, the mA values would rise to the 357 mA - 376 mA range and it maintained that power consumption level for the entire remainder of AED parking mode.

Starting with firmware V1.0_0516:

The A229 Duo reduces its power consumption to the 344 mA - 360 mA range when it first enters AED parking mode. The power consumption in AED parking mode remains consistent for the entire AED parking mode and it now properly includes buffered audio/video for all AED events after entering AED parking mode.

viofo_a229_duo_power_consumption_v10_0516.png

Am i the only one thinking at in regard to the MIC sensitivity, that it could be dialed back a little, sitting idle the MIC i feel go up very high in gain and pick up too much. ?

Am i the only one thinking at in regard to the MIC sensitivity, that it could be dialed back a little, sitting idle the MIC i feel go up very high in gain and pick up too much. ?
Kamkar have you considered using say a CD and play the music/voice at the same volume and compare the difference on your computer?
I don't have this model but all the other Viofo dashcams I have I think the Mic works just about right.
If anything I would suggest it works a little to good when it comes to picking up bass in music but not really a problem just an observation.

Kamkar have you considered using say a CD and play the music/voice at the same volume and compare the difference on your computer?
I don't have this model but all the other Viofo dashcams I have I think the Mic works just about right.
If anything I would suggest it works a little to good when it comes to picking up bass in music but not really a problem just an observation.

The early Viofo A119 V3 units had an issue with low audio volume that was fixed in later firmware, so it seems plausible the opposite could be happening here. It may be a simple matter of adjusting the gain, assuming there are other reports of the same issue.

Ill see if i can recover a recording tomorrow of the car just idling with the windows open.

Mine seems great.

Phil

A229 Duo Rear Camera vs A119 Mini - Focus Test

There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about the focus sharpness of the A229 Duo rear camera that I have installed in my vehicle. Many things were stated as the likely reasons why the A229 Duo rear camera's video was out of focus (related to my vehicle's rear window glass and its cleanliness).

I installed a VIOFO A119 Mini dash camera on the rear window of my vehicle right next to the A229 Duo's rear camera. Both cameras were recording QHD 1440p @ 30 fps. A119 Mini's video bitrate is set to "High" (max value) and the A229 Duo's bitrate is set to "Maximum". Both have the WDR setting "off" (default value).

The A119 Mini's video is in focus, while the A229 Duo's rear camera video is a bit blurry. Based on these tests, the A229 Duo's rear camera focus issue appears to be an issue with the camera itself, not the car.

rear_focus_check_095232_a119_mini.jpg rear_focus_check_095232_a229.jpg

I wanted to see if the A229 Duo's rear camera was out of focus right at the very start of the trip (no sun/heat exposure influence yet).

It looks like the A229 Duo's rear camera is a bit out of focus at the start of the trip as well. I believe the A229 Duo's rear camera is less out of focus to start (at my garage) and after about 15 minutes of driving it appears to be more out of focus (previous pics).

rear_focus_check_garage_a119_mini.jpg rear_focus_check_garage_a229.jpg

A229 Duo Rear Camera vs A119 Mini - Focus Test

There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about the focus sharpness of the A229 Duo rear camera that I have installed in my vehicle. Many things were stated as the likely reasons why the A229 Duo rear camera's video was out of focus (related to my vehicle's rear window glass and its cleanliness).

I installed a VIOFO A119 Mini dash camera on the rear window of my vehicle right next to the A229 Duo's rear camera. Both cameras were recording QHD 1440p @ 30 fps. A119 Mini's video bitrate is set to "High" (max value) and the A229 Duo's bitrate is set to "Maximum". Both have the WDR setting "off" (default value).

The A119 Mini's video is in focus, while the A229 Duo's rear camera video is a bit blurry. Based on these tests, the A229 Duo's rear camera focus issue appears to be an issue with the camera itself, not the car.

View attachment 60602 View attachment 60603

I wanted to see if the A229 Duo's rear camera was out of focus right at the very start of the trip (no sun/heat exposure influence yet).

It looks like the A229 Duo's rear camera is a bit out of focus at the start of the trip as well. I believe the A229 Duo's rear camera is less out of focus to start (at my garage) and after about 15 minutes of driving it appears to be more out of focus (previous pics).

View attachment 60605 View attachment 60606

Great examples.
Did you blur the 229 image as it seems to have trouble reading the number plate on the mini.
The 119 mini makes it so clear to read. Quite a difference.

Great examples.
Did you blur the 229 image as it seems to have trouble reading the number plate on the mini.
I did not blur the front plate at all. There is a small amount of light being reflected on the inside of the rear window glass from the rear deck area behind the rear seat. That may be contributing a small amount of the difficulty of reading the plate in the A229 Duo rear screen shot, but that reflection is present for both the A229 Duo rear camera and the A119 Mini. Since the A229 Duo rear camera does not have a CPL available for it, I did not install the CPL I have for the A119 Mini so that both are on an even playing field.

I did not blur the front plate at all. There is a small amount of light being reflected on the inside of the rear window glass from the rear deck area behind the rear seat. That may be contributing a small amount of the difficulty of reading the plate in the A229 Duo rear screen shot, but that reflection is present for both the A229 Duo rear camera and the A119 Mini. Since the A229 Duo rear camera does not have a CPL available for it, I did not install the CPL I have for the A119 Mini so that both are on an even playing field.

Yeah I didn't think you did but I wanted to give the 229 a chance

Is the 229 rear cam connected via a shield coax cable? If so does this mean there is no on board circuit in the camera? Is the rear camera just AHD?

Yeah I didn't think you did but I wanted to give the 229 a chance

Is the 229 rear cam connected via a shield coax cable? If so does this mean there is no on board circuit in the camera? Is the rear camera just AHD?
The A229 Duo rear camera is connected via a coaxial cable. There is no separate firmware for the A229 Duo rear camera like there is for the T130 rear camera.

Great examples.
Yes, the A229 image has been blurred!

Looking at the A229 image, from here, it has a resolution of FHD instead of 2K, so half the detail has been lost, and since 2K to FHD is not a whole pixel to whole pixel scaling, it is inevitably blurred.

There is a second problem that the A229 is seeing a stronger reflection of the parcel shelf over the area of the plate than the A119 Mini, so even without the halving of the resolution, the plate would still be less readable.

Checking the focus, as far as I can see from the parcel shelf and the Shingle Springs Plaza sign, they are both perfect, although I would want to see an original resolution image to judge accurately.

Back