VIOFO A229 Duo - First Look

Are Viofo using metal / plastic or other lens housings and lens mounts on these? Everything you're saying @rcg530 suggest thermal expansion maybe from sunlight which is causing the focus drift as it all warms up.

If it's doing it out of direct sunlight maybe it's struggling to shift the heat from the sensor quick enough.

It used to be a common problem on some of the much older DOD or Nextbase cameras even in our tame UK weather.

Are Viofo using metal / plastic or other lens housings and lens mounts on these? Everything you're saying @rcg530 suggest thermal expansion maybe from sunlight which is causing the focus drift as it all warms up.

If it's doing it out of direct sunlight maybe it's struggling to shift the heat from the sensor quick enough.

It used to be a common problem on some of the much older DOD or Nextbase cameras even in our tame UK weather.
They are normally fibre reinforced plastic these days, with the fibre mix chosen to minimize overall focus drift. Haven't taken one of these apart though...

Checking the focus, as far as I can see from the parcel shelf and the Shingle Springs Plaza sign, they are both perfect
Looking at both images side-by-side, I wouldn't call the A229 focus perfect. I would say only the parcel shelf is in focus.

These are 1920x1080 images, not the full 1440p resolution. I'll assume @rcg530 sampled them both the same way.

A119_Mini-A229-Rear-Cameras.jpg

These are 1920x1080 images, not the full 1440p resolution. I'll assume @rcg530 sampled them both the same way.
@Nigel I uploaded 2560 x 1440 jpeg images to DCT. They were resized on the DCT end. I noticed the downsizing of the images after I uploaded the screenshots to DCT.

I used Adobe Premiere Pro with a 2560 x 1440 @ 30 fps timeline to create the frame grabs that I uploaded to DCT. No blurring was performed by me!

dct_jpg_original_info.png

I've uploaded the original jpeg screenshots along with the A119 Mini / A229 Duo rear video files that contain the car behind my car to a Google Driver folder. I did not upload the videos that contain my home's location info in the video GPS info.

Google Drive Folder - 24-May-2022

@Nigel I uploaded 2560 x 1440 jpeg images...
That is better, yes DCT does resize images.

There are a few differences there, I've put an original resolution copy of the sign below.
A229 on the left A119 Mini on the right:
1653494707387.png

1. The A119 Mini has a narrower FoV, so is expected to capture more detail within the sign, as long as the sign hasn't fallen off the side of the image, while the A229 sees more image instead. To me, the loss of detail in the A229 sign is close to what should be expected for the different FoVs.
2. The A119 Mini is using its front camera (only camera), which runs at a higher bitrate than the A229 rear camera. 30.6 vs 25.7Mb/s, and this also results in less detail on the A229 rear when images are complex. In this case, the images are complex due to the reflections of the parcel shelf over much of the image, and also the amount of detail recorded in the parcel shelf itself. This does make a difference to the quality, it will be even more obvious if not using the "Maximum" bitrate setting. Viofo have chosen to record the rear at lower bitrate than the front because they had to make a compromise and they chose the compromise that they thought the customers would find most acceptable, not sure they got the compromise perfectly right for everyone, but it is a sensible compromise.
3. The A119 Mini image looks sharper because it is using more sharpening, I think because the type of people likely to buy an A119 Mini are likely to want more sharpening than people who buy an A229, so Viofo deliberately used more sharpening on the A119 Mini. In the image above I have added some sharpening to the A229 image so that it more or less matches the A119 image. Much easier to add sharpening than to take it away, hence the better camera having less and allowing you to edit more in if you wish.
4. The A229 rear image has more chromatic distortion than the A119 image, and this is making it look slightly less focused. I think the difference is partly due to it using a smaller (and thus not as good) lens, and partly because I think the A229 is not using chromatic distortion correction, while the A119 is, which may explain why the writing on the sign has turned almost black on the A119 image, while the A229 rear image has more accurate colour ... assuming the writing on that sign is actually green? I do wonder if the chromatic distortion is coming from the window glass rather than the lens, I haven't been finding it an issue on my A229 rear, but I have had it mounted on the front window which has higher optical quality glass, and I do have some chromatic distortion on mine.

Overall, yes the A229 rear is not as good as the A119 Mini (front), I think mainly because of lower bitrate, partly by the smaller lens. In these images the difference is made much worse by the A229 for some reason seeing a lot more reflections, I guess due to their positioning.

It might be worth putting something black and textureless over that rear shelf, or finding a CPL for the A229 rear camera.

I also recommend using 2560x1080 resolution, so that far less bitrate is used up on that rear parcel shelf which we don't need to see, thus allowing more bitrate for the useful parts of the image. Although last time I looked, there was no 2560x1080 resolution available on the A229, while there was on the A119 Mini. I am expecting it to get added.

I ordered a VIOFO CPL filter for the A229 front camera. I received and installed the CPL filter two days ago. Yesterday, I drove my local test route to gather footage to compare with the previous sample video without the CPL installed.

I started working on the CPL example video for my channel when I noticed that the CPL mount ring was slightly visible in the video footage.

It appears that I did not fully press the CPL filter on to the A229 front camera lens housing on the top side. This CPL filter fits very snugly on the front camera lens housing. I had to apply a little more pressure than I would have suspected as necessary to get it to fully seat on the front camera outer housing.

You can see the CPL mount ring in the upper left/right corners of this video screenshot. I'll gather more footage on Friday.

Left picture is with CPL (WDR off) and right picture from previous video without the CPL (WDR On)

viofo_a229_front_cpl_in_view.jpg viofo_a229_front_no_cpl.jpg

You can see the CPL mount ring in the upper left/right corners of this video screenshot. I'll gather more footage on Friday.
Using an A139 CPL, it does need to be fully, 100%, pushed on to avoid dark corners, I think Viofo are going to update the CPL so that it fits a little better.

Looking at your image, I think it might be worth adjusting the CPL a little. Although it has a white line to mark the correct alignment, mine was a mm off, and I suspect from the image that yours is 0.5mm off... if you can arrange a piece of white paper to reflecting off the glass in the centre of the image, then rotate the CPL until that disappears.

Looking at your image, I think it might be worth adjusting the CPL a little. Although it has a white line to mark the correct alignment, mine was a mm off, and I suspect from the image that yours is 0.5mm off... if you can arrange a piece of white paper to reflecting off the glass in the centre of the image, then rotate the CPL until that disappears.
Thanks for pointing out the rotational alignment issue with the VIOFO A139/T130/A229 CPLs. Before today's adjustment, I had the CPL's white line and the camera's white line aligned.

I went through the alignment process and found that the A229 CPL required a 5 mm (not 0.5 mm) adjustment offset from the white line. I adjusted the T130 as well and it required a 4 mm adjustment.

cpl_offset_a229.jpg cpl_offset_t130.jpg

That's a long way out! Hope most are more accurate than that.

Interested to see the results again now, it didn't look that bad before...

Rectangular filters have two advantages, you can't put them on at the wrong angle, and they don't cause dark corners on the image. However if you don't mount the camera on the window straight then you can't correct the CPL angle, so maybe it's better to have them round.

Rectangular filters have two advantages, you can't put them on at the wrong angle, and they don't cause dark corners on the image. However if you don't mount the camera on the window straight then you can't correct the CPL angle, so maybe it's better to have them round.
Alternatively, with a round CPL the user can correct any mis-alignment from the factory! That's more difficult if the filter is glued into a rectangular mount.

Alternatively, with a round CPL the user can correct any mis-alignment from the factory! That's more difficult if the filter is glued into a rectangular mount.
I think if they are rectangular then it is very difficult for them to manufactured mis-aligned?
With a circular circular polarizing filter, it can be assembled at any angle!

I think if they are rectangular then it is very difficult for them to manufactured mis-aligned?
With a circular circular polarizing filter, it can be assembled at any angle!

Isn’t it still a round filter mounted in a rectangular housing? I’m sure I’ve seen videos of people adjusting/rotating them to correct misalignment.

Isn’t it still a round filter mounted in a rectangular housing? I’m sure I’ve seen videos of people adjusting/rotating them to correct misalignment.
Yes, it is.
1653778414508.png

Last edited:
The original round CPL filter in a rectangular housing was something jokiin came up with when so many buyers of the SG9665GC began reporting unusually serious issues with windshield reflections. Eventually, Street Guardian and Viofo began collaborating on the production of the CPL to share the costs. The design was never great from the get-go and there were many reports of various problems since that CPL was released such as delaminations of the lenses, alignment problems and issues getting the housing to clip to the camera securely which led to a redesign. Personally, I'm happy to see a more practical, modern design replacing the original.

Last edited:
If they had used a rectangular filter in the rectangular housing then it would have saved a lot of problems!
Looking at your image, I think it might be worth adjusting the CPL a little.
How do you propose to adjust a filter that is lock-in one position? Perhaps that is why it was a circle. :unsure:

How do you propose to adjust a filter that is lock-in one position? Perhaps that is why it was a circle. :unsure:
I don’t want it to be adjustable, I want it assembled in the correct orientation at the factory so that nobody can ever get it wrong!

The filter I use on my A129Pro is rectangular with the polarisation exactly vertical, exactly as it should be. Much simpler.

I don’t want it to be adjustable, I want it assembled in the correct orientation at the factory so that nobody can ever get it wrong!

The filter I use on my A129Pro is rectangular with the polarisation exactly vertical, exactly as it should be. Much simpler.
However if you don't mount the camera on the window straight then you can't correct the CPL angle, so maybe it's better to have them round.

In an ideal world sure, BUT we don't live in that world and as you point out, see the second quote...
I intend to try out your tip for alignment. I like the scientific solution. "
a piece of white paper to reflecting off the glass in the centre of the image, then rotate the CPL until that disappears.

A229 Duo – Firmware V1.0_0516 / Bitrate Maximum / Parking Mode = Low Bitrate Recording / Powered Using VIOFO HK4

This past Friday, I had a somewhat odd incident take place with the A229 Duo. I was on my weekly shopping trip. I arrived and parked at stop number two for this route. When I returned to my car and started the engine, I heard the T130 announce that it was starting to record "3 channels", but the A229 Duo did not make any type of announcement like it normally does when exiting parking mode.

I observed the A229 Duo front panel LEDs were on and I was able to turn on the screen and I observed the blinking red dot on the showing that it was recording. I noted the odd behavior so I could review the video files on the microSD card when I arrived back at home.

It appears the A229 sort of switched to normal mode in that it created video files for normal mode, but it stored them in the "Parking" directory folder along with all of the other low bitrate parking mode files. There were two additional stops along this route and both times the A229 announced it was recording as it exited parking mode and the video files were stored in their proper locations.

viofo_229_duo_normal_files_in_parking_directory.png

Back