VioFo A229 Pro vs Vantrue S1 Pro

BowB83

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to upgrade my dashcam from a Vava VA-VD009 (battery finally went on one of them after 3 years).

Any recomendations? Upgrading from an Vava VA-VD009

Live in Florida, so need something that can withstand heat. I'm assuming anything with Starvis 2 will be a huge upgrade. Vantrue is currently $160 vs $209 for the Viofo A229 Plus.

Looking to upgrade my dashcam from a Vava VA-VD009 (battery finally went on one of them after 3 years).

Any recomendations? Upgrading from an Vava VA-VD009

Live in Florida, so need something that can withstand heat. I'm assuming anything with Starvis 2 will be a huge upgrade. Vantrue is currently $160 vs $209 for the Viofo A229 Plus.
I have the S1 Pro that I'm in the process of testing at the moment, so haven't got complete thoughts to share.

I have tested the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro and Viofo A229 Pro against each other though. Others have included temperature logging charts, and it appears that the Vantrue is running warmer in max 4k recording three-channel with HDR. However, the Viofo A229 Pro has implemented a shutdown feature where it will shut down in excessive heat.

I have ran both of these cameras here in the Australian summer heat, and the Viofo has shut down a couple of times (although in the oddly specific situation where my car is in mid-afternoon 35C+ heat facing the sun directly, parked for about 20 minutes). Both cameras ran hot but I would much rather have the Viofo shut down on me to avoid component damage, rather than the Vantrue's approach.

I have the S1 Pro that I'm in the process of testing at the moment, so haven't got complete thoughts to share.

I have tested the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro and Viofo A229 Pro against each other though. Others have included temperature logging charts, and it appears that the Vantrue is running warmer in max 4k recording three-channel with HDR. However, the Viofo A229 Pro has implemented a shutdown feature where it will shut down in excessive heat.

I have ran both of these cameras here in the Australian summer heat, and the Viofo has shut down a couple of times (although in the oddly specific situation where my car is in mid-afternoon 35C+ heat facing the sun directly, parked for about 20 minutes). Both cameras ran hot but I would much rather have the Viofo shut down on me to avoid component damage, rather than the Vantrue's approach.
Thanks for the info. I went with the Viofo A229 Plus for that exact reason since I live in Florida and read the Pro runs hotter due to recording in 4K. 4K would be nice to have, but if it's not recording at all due to heat, it does me no good.

I also didn't realize the Vantrue S1 Pro had an lower spec rear view camera. There were a few other quirks tha made me go Viofo

Thanks for the info. I went with the Viofo A229 Plus for that exact reason since I live in Florida and read the Pro runs hotter due to recording in 4K. 4K would be nice to have, but if it's not recording at all due to heat, it does me no good.

I also didn't realize the Vantrue S1 Pro had an lower spec rear view camera. There were a few other quirks tha made me go Viofo
No worries, yeah don't get me wrong the 4k is nice to have but if it has downtime then that may be an issue for me etc. Like I said, only happens if you're stationary - it can be a 40C+ day out, and you're driving around and it's just fine. Parking mode and being stationary causing it issues.

Yeah the rear camera on the Vantrue isn't the greatest, each brand has its strengths - constant IQ refinement is Viofo's strength, while Vantrue for me is it's long support period and aesthetics and build quality. I'd pick each for different reasons, but I think you've made a good choice with the Plus n

Back