Viofo A329 Review

Max SD Card capacity is unchanged at 512GB.
So what is the benefit of using an SD Card reader plugged into the USB port?
I am not sure about 512GB limit for the USB port/SD card.
The USB port limit should be the same no matter SSD or SD.
I think the limit is the SD card reader itself which is 2TB for the linked options.
Although personally I don't see any need for more than 512GB for a 2ch dashcam

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 4
So after all that explanation do you know what the fov is for the A329?

Is it wider or narrower? From @safedrivesolutions video i used previously it looks narrower which i think works better.
I did have a chance to drive my car with the A229 Pro front camera on 10-Sep-2024 and using the same GPS mount with the A329 on 11-Sep-2024. The A329 that I had at that point in time was a very early prototype and there was a known problem with the lens in my particular A329 since there were noticeable light flares around bright objects (at night). The A329 camera I received close to the A329 pre-sale time does not have the light flare issue. Both nights, I drove the same path. I have footage from both cameras with an almost identical road position and camera position within the car.

It does appear that when I drove with the A329 camera, my vehicle was about two (2) feet to the right in the turning lane compared to the position that vehicle had the night before with the A229 Pro front camera. That seems to account for the difference in the left-to-right field of view. The overall left-to-right field of view appears to nearly identical. The vertical field of view also appears to be identical. The green overlay lines are in the center of the horizontal and vertical positions within the image.

1729576335970.png

VIOFO have told us time, and time again 512GB is the max SD Card capacity.
We need someone with a 1TB SD Card to test this.
I honestly wonder how much temperature reduction it will be by using the SD card reader, but that is an option if it does help in summer. Might try that myself actually

The A229pro front cam seem a little OOF ?

When I combine video footage from two or more cameras in the same video editing timeline, I use the audio sync feature to get them 99.5% in sync. I then look for visual clues to allow me to adjust the placement of the videos in the video editor timeline to make the visual content become synchronized. I look for stoplights changing, vehicle turn signal(s) turning on/off or any shadows that are cast on the vehicle's window glass to know if they're in sync already or how may frames they need to be adjusted to get the video contents in sync.
(y)

Last edited:
1.) What SSD should I buy for testing, link please?
How about testing a USB-C memory stick instead of an SSD, the SSDs seem to work fine based on other people’s tests

You can plug a memory stick in direct or via a cable so that it can be hidden.

link please?

I only seem to find UK links, best you google for yourself.

That Samsung says that it is "USB 3.2 Gen 1", with decent speed, and looks a decent size for just sticking in the side of the camera - photo shows it stuck in the bottom of an iPhone recording in ProRes, so something like 760 Mb/s bitrate. Seems a good match for the dashcam.

I guess people are going to use all sorts of storage devices, so it doesn't really matter what you test, as long as we learn something about how well it does or doesn't work.

I only seem to find UK links, best you google for yourself.

That Samsung says that it is "USB 3.2 Gen 1", with decent speed, and looks a decent size for just sticking in the side of the camera - photo shows it stuck in the bottom of an iPhone recording in ProRes, so something like 760 Mb/s bitrate. Seems a good match for the dashcam.

I guess people are going to use all sorts of storage devices, so it doesn't really matter what you test, as long as we learn something about how well it does or doesn't work.
I was looking at that the other day cos someone else brought it up on bargain forums here in Australia.

It will work fine but when it comes to transferring footage off it, expect 100mb/sec at best. It's not an actual SSD in a thumb drive factor like that Silicon Power DS72 I showed Panzer a while back.

I'm also in the same boat as Panzer, trying to decide what's the best SSD to go about it the A329.

It's not an actual SSD in a thumb drive factor like that Silicon Power DS72 I showed Panzer a while back.
But why do you need an SSD over this?
USB memory sticks are a cheaper option than microSD, and I assume work just as well, probably better in some ways, they are available in larger sizes, should work on a cable, maybe they work not as well in other ways, like power consumption.

If you want 4TB then you probably need the SSD, and if you want to read it very fast then the SSD is faster, but very fast is not actually necessary for a dashcam where you are almost always writing, and writing fairly slowly for these devices.

But why do you need an SSD over this?
USB memory sticks are a cheaper option than microSD, and I assume work just as well, probably better in some ways, they are available in larger sizes, should work on a cable, maybe they work not as well in other ways, like power consumption.

If you want 4TB then you probably need the SSD, and if you want to read it very fast then the SSD is faster, but very fast is not actually necessary for a dashcam where you are almost always writing, and writing fairly slowly for these devices.
Fair point, I am gonna buy one because of stress testing needs haha. But for the normal person, sure USB stick will do.

Copying the footage over to PC is glacial, which bothers me a lot (always has). So I would personally get an SSD because of that

I am clueless as to external SSDs, so i will have to study up hard if i get to there with a dashcam.
I would like to transition to fast external storage with a new PC that i am probably going to build within a year or two, though also populate internal NVME drive slots, or at least a couple of them, CUZ my storage needs are quite modest now.

Next PC will probably have a couple of USB 4.0 ports.

I am clueless as to external SSDs, so i will have to study up hard if i get to there with a dashcam.
I would like to transition to fast external storage with a new PC that i am probably going to build within a year or two, though also populate internal NVME drive slots, or at least a couple of them, CUZ my storage needs are quite modest now.

Next PC will probably have a couple of USB 4.0 ports.
It's no different from PC. Have been using external SSDs for years with my PC and both my Playstation 4 and PlayStation 5. I steer away from SATA due to slow speeds but just about all new external SSDs are NVMe interface.

I had to chuckle though when folks here reviewing the A329 started quoting the SanDisk Extreme Pro external SSDs, cos those had big issues. Guess it makes sense though cos not everyone keeps up with PC world like you and I do, Kamkar.

People will probably try what they have if they have something, i do think though most will buy something for this application and like me not having anything to try.
Shooting for a PCIe 5.0 C: drive, the others 4.0 which are just fine speeds to me, most optimal for me would probably be a NVME based NAS like storage station, with nice encryption too, i really want to get on with encryption these days.

I got burned on this like so many others.

Back