Viofo MT1 - Continuous Recording

Vne165

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,
Thanks for the great forum, has made my research easy!. I just have one question regards the MT1 - when in continuous mode, how long will the device shoot video for?
Until it runs out of memory space?

I want to use it on an open wheel race car, our heats are usually around 20-30 mins start to finish depending on whether there is an incident. Would just prefer to have one video file to deal with rather than lost of little ones.

Thanks in advance
Vne

It will reach the limit of the FAT32 file system file size at around 4GB, so 10 minutes is about the maximum file size, then it will have to start another file, and I think once the card is full it will stop recording.

You can easily concatenate a sequence of files in most video editors and any dashcam viewer, there is no need to use continuous mode. For several reasons, 3 minute files seem to be the best choice, with 1 minute second best.

Hi Nigel, thanks for your answer.

Is it really easy to concatenate video files? I am a bit of a luddite at this stuff.
Do you think it is an ok solution?

There are dedicated race car cams you can buy, but they are very expensive.
I'm looking for a cost effective solution, just to analyse where I'm going wrong.
Don't need broadcast quality!

Is it really easy to concatenate video files?
Well, you do want a computer, I wouldn't try on just a phone, although it is probably doable.

With most video editors, you can just open the files you want together and it will arrange them in time order, so yes, just a few mouse clicks.

If you use a dashcam viewer application then I would expect it to show you the journeys rather than the individual files, you can just play the videos as though there are no joins, and if you choose a start time and end time and export a single video file for that time period. Probably the best solution if you are not into video editors, but it will depend on what you are trying to do with your video files.

If you are just going to watch the videos, I quite often just select the files I want to watch and drop them all on my normal video player, it plays them in order, with a brief pause between segments.

Back