Beware: Viofo MT1 GMT+13 bug that could cause missing video.

SergeiF

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have bought Viofo MT1 almost a year ago, due to bad weather here I wasn't riding much, thus there was no reason for me to check the footage.
I have superficially checked the video recording at the installation (yes it records), and never gave another thought.
Until couple of months ago I wanted to check my GPS extractor script on the files it generated (yes, I haven't abandoned it).

This is when I noticed two things:
  1. The recording out of order with strange filenames with bogus date and lots of 000000.
  2. Some of the files were missing.
I have contacted Viofo about, applied latest firmware, format the card, you know - usual stuff.
While trouble shooting I figured the following:
  • The filenames were a symptom of, what appeared to be, an internal RTC fault.
  • When enabled timestamp on the video it was clear the time was resetting every 8 to 16 seconds to zero.
  • On the first start the time was random, on second file it would be either 000000 or 000008 or similar.
The consensus was the recorder was faulty, thus I shipped it back to Viofo (at my own cost, and being in NZ shipping out is very expensive, about $40NZD).
A few weeks later I got the replacement camera, only to have the same problem. Since I knew GPS was working correctly (as I have extracted correct GPS data from the files), I started poking around time settings, this is where I discovered the bug.

If you are in GMT+13 (NZDT), ie you are in New Zealand, set the camera to GMT+12 to get a close enough date without triggering the bug.
With GMT+13 the files will be out of the order and some of the files will be overwritten due to filename clash.

This bug is present in firmware up to and including V1.0_20220707.

I have let Viofo know of the issue, but who knows when this will be fixed.

Still bummed about wasting so much time and $40 on this.

A bit of an update:
VIOFO support refunded me the shipping cost and provided with the updated firmware that resolves the issue.
Thank you @VIOFO-Support

Back