VIOFO RTC300 TELEPHOTO CAMERA FOR A229 PLUS/A229 PRO

Karagandinez

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue
Additional cameras for the A229 Pro/Plus with telephoto lenses are now available.

Additional cameras for the A229 Pro/Plus with telephoto lenses are now available.

Very nice.

So I'm presuming this takes the place of the interior IR cabin camera instead, you have to choose one or the other....

Actually looks like it uses the rear camera connector, assuming the picture of the cable and the connection diagram is correct :(

Very nice.

So I'm presuming this takes the place of the interior IR cabin camera instead, you have to choose one or the other....
The camera with a telephoto lens has its own processor and firmware and is connected instead of the rear camera.

The camera with a telephoto lens has its own processor and firmware........

This means it would be possible to use the basic components from this remote telephoto camera module to create a really small, affordable, stand alone telephoto camera that could be added to any already existing dash cam installation as I've been suggesting to @viofo.

Basically, all it needs is a memory card slot, wifi, a few control buttons and you'd have it.

This means it would be possible to use the basic components from this remote telephoto camera module to create a really small, affordable, stand alone telephoto camera that could be added to any already existing dash cam installation as I've been suggesting to @viofo.

Basically, all it needs is a memory card slot, wifi, a few control buttons and you'd have it.
This is Viofo's first camera with a telephoto lens. I think if it performs very well,
then in the future Viofo will release a camera like the one you suggest.

This is Viofo's first camera with a telephoto lens. I think if it performs very well,
then in the future Viofo will release a camera like the one you suggest.

Well, yeah, my suggestion is a conceptual idea for a future product, not something to introduce now. There are many reasons for that with the primary one seeing how the remote telephoto camera is received in the marketplace and how well it sells. This is a specialty product that might seem very appealing to those of us who frequent this website but might turn out not to have widespread appeal to the general public.

Then again, I was amazed by the interest my original introduction of a telephoto camera mod generated. I even got PMs from members asking where they could buy one or if I would build one for them.

Last edited:
I thought it was mentioned there was a new cable for interior camera cable extended?? It is not on Viofo website.

I thought it was mentioned there was a new cable for interior camera cable extended?? It is not on Viofo website.
Are you talking about this?

Screenshot 2024-06-21 7.38.15 AM.png

Reactions: Mtz
they did a really bad job of listing it on their website. it should be listed as 2 seperate parts. I am going to try and extended the wires myself and see if it works.

they did a really bad job of listing it on their website. it should be listed as 2 seperate parts. I am going to try and extended the wires myself and see if it works.

Can anyone tell me where the firmware for this camera is?
My camera has V1.0_231207 installed, but I would like V1.3

Can anyone tell me where the firmware for this camera is?
My camera has V1.0_231207 installed, but I would like V1.3
Isn't it just running the same firmware as the existing rear camera for the A229 Pro. Version numbers look the same...

The telephoto camera was Nigel's idea I heard.

The telephoto camera was Nigel's idea I heard.

No, that was me six years ago and @TonyM presented the first viable DIY prototype with his A139 Pro mod. Nigel has actually been against telephoto cameras for a very long time and has no experience with them,. He claims that 4K camera resolutions allow you to zoom into the image, so you don't need a telephoto and also has erroneously claimed that telephotos make it appear that you are traveling much faster than you really are and therefore this makes viewers of the video feel sick or frightened. :rolleyes:

I've posted this before but here it is again. It is from June 6, 2018

Now that we have viable high quality dual channel dash cams, the chipset technology already exists to build a dual focal length front facing dash cam. All that needs to happen is to get rid of the cable and relocate the remote cam module to the front camera housing and engineer the best telephoto into it. Or it could be a base cam with a short cabled front facing telephoto with flexible positioning and aiming. I predict such a product may yet come about.

As I've also mentioned previously but feel compelled to point out again here, I introduced the concept of a telephoto dash cam to the forum seven years ago and posted the first working examples on September 3, 2017 in THIS POST and THIS POST initially using a color corrected (via software) infra-red lens. These examples sparked a strong interest among a small and growing group of DCT experimenters and DIYers and this is what eventually led to the commercial product Viofo has finally brought to the market.

Last edited:
Nice.
Just a few problems.

1: how many mm are the lens ?
2: i do not have a model compatible with this, actually i dont even have a viofo camera in my car at the moment.
3: i would not like to loose the rear camera, interior i can easy be without.

I have been a zoom lens fan for a long time, using something modded for many - many years.
I have also requested Brands should have a zoom camera option, i would assume since dual channel cameras became viable.
BUT ! i have not had a zoom camera for a long time now,,,,, so thanks a bloody lot for reminding me.

I also invented the wheel again only a few weeks ago ;)

1: how many mm are the lens ?

I've been wanting to know the answer to that exact same question ! - Especially because I've raised the question about the optimal focal length for the secondary telephoto dash cam lens on the A229.

Isn't it just running the same firmware as the existing rear camera for the A229 Pro. Version numbers look the same...
It’s better to ask knowledgeable people once than to ask for a replacement camera later.
The A229 Pro and Plus also have the same firmware version: V1.3_240612, but this does not mean that they are interchangeable.

Last edited:
Back