VIOFO RTC300 TELEPHOTO CAMERA FOR A229 PLUS/A229 PRO

Very busy, lots of incomplete projects. :ROFLMAO:

Dashcams have moved up the prority list recently though as the car is currently getting more use, probably going to do some research and decide if I want to upgrade my main front to 4K as well.

Mobius 1S looks interesting, I will probably grab one and give that a test eventually

I have been wondering how well the interior camera would work as a rear camera (after turning off IR)

I believe it is IMX307 which is apparently a "cut down version" (just what I found online, not my words) of the IMX291 used in the A139/A139 Pro.

I haven't seen any comparisons using the IMX307 as a rear but I suspect you would really would want a Starvis2 sensor at the rear. Most of the youtube videos seem to concentrate on comparing front dashcams not rear unfortuately.
I don't think I've seen any decent tests of it used as a rear camera yet.

The IMX307 is a newer sensor than the IMX291, basically the replacement, and designed to be a bit cheaper. They are both Starvis, but the IMX307 is really a generation younger. The IMX291 is in some ways a little better, and more expensive, but it doesn't have the DOL-HDR, while the IMX307 does, and the DOL-HDR is used in the A229 interior camera, which means it should be a pretty good rear camera and should do a better job of license plates at night. It is an FHD camera instead of 2K for the normal A229 rear, but most people are happy with FHD for the rear.

I don't think I've seen any decent tests of it used as a rear camera yet.

The IMX307 is a newer sensor than the IMX291, basically the replacement, and designed to be a bit cheaper. They are both Starvis, but the IMX307 is really a generation younger. The IMX291 is in some ways a little better, and more expensive, but it doesn't have the DOL-HDR, while the IMX307 does, and the DOL-HDR is used in the A229 interior camera, which means it should be a pretty good rear camera and should do a better job of license plates at night. It is an FHD camera instead of 2K for the normal A229 rear, but most people are happy with FHD for the rear.

Thanks, it appears the article I found is a little misleading and seemed to imply the 307 had no HDR at all.

So like you said should be a slight improvement

Thanks, it appears the article I found is a little misleading and seemed to imply the 307 had no HDR at all.

So like you said should be a slight improvement
Without the DOL-HDR implemented, I think the IMX291 would be the preferable sensor, which is why Viofo used the IMX291 for the A139 Pro, but the difference is quite small.

IMX307 definitely has DOL-HDR: https://www.sony-semicon.com/files/62/flyer_security/IMX307LQD_LQR_Flyer.pdf

HDR on the rear isn't essential, but it is nice to read the license plate behind you without the sensor being overwhelmed by the headlights either side of it!

My patented idea is to make it have more detail in the center, like the human eye

Which I know a fisheye can do, but I request a brand new type of sensor

And AI algorithm that ignores unwanted details like trees moving

Yes, that cable was introduced for this purpose.
And of course the camera connected to that 6 meters long cable will be 1080p and without infrared light. So a new model is required from Viofo.
When buying the telephoto camera should be added as optional also this cable because maybe some people will want to use their interior camera as a rear camera.

Because of money spent on secondary cameras and cables it is better to buy a complete package with everything inside it something like Viofo A229 Ultra and this means 4K front + 2K telephoto + FHD rear. To be two versions, one 2CH and one 3CH. The price of the 3CH setup should be almost the same as the actual A229 Pro 3CH because more money spent on cables are taken from no IR LEDs used. The complete setup will be for sure cheaper than buying the cameras separately. I hope @viofo will agree with my calculations.

And of course the camera connected to that 6 meters long cable will be 1080p and without infrared light. So a new model is required from Viofo.
Infrared radiation can be turned off in the DVR menu. This means you can use the interior camera included in the kit. You only need a 6m cable.
This is for those who have already purchased the A 229 Pro/Plus with an interior camera.

When buying the telephoto camera should be added as optional also this cable because maybe some people will want to use their interior camera as a rear camera.

Because of money spent on secondary cameras and cables it is better to buy a complete package with everything inside it something like Viofo A229 Ultra and this means 4K front + 2K telephoto + FHD rear. To be two versions, one 2CH and one 3CH. The price of the 3CH setup should be almost the same as the actual A229 Pro 3CH because more money spent on cables are taken from no IR LEDs used. The complete setup will be for sure cheaper than buying the cameras separately. I hope @viofo will agree with my calculations.
Post in thread 'V1.3 beta firmware for A229Pro/Plus' https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/v1-3-beta-firmware-for-a229pro-plus.51177/post-621208

@Mtz
I informed the beta software and then I saw your article. Sometimes the analysis and solutions of some situations can converge on a common point.
The idea of a rear camera from the interior camera entrance now seems like a necessity. @viofo

Back