Viofo Telephoto Dash Camera Add On

Again, you demonstrate your lack of hands on experience here. As I keep saying, telephoto lenses are NOT just about capturing license plates (even though they do). They are about better capturing and telling the story of your journey in concert with your traditional dash camera.

Your technical notions about things like hyper focal distance seem to all be inside your head but disconnected from how things actually work in the real world. Hyperfocal distance is not just about maximum depth of field but also about where the user (or factory) who focuses the lens wishes to position the hyperfocal distance for the optimal and desired range of acceptable focus.
Somebody get this man a Viofo A229 Pro and RTC300 so we can settle this debate.....

where do i get one of those Mobius to test against the telephoto Viofo. I would love to prove that the 1080p telephoto would have been good enough

Unfortunately, the 1080p Mobius 1 camera is no longer in production but the identical looking Mobius 1S 2K camera is available. The original 1080p Mobius has become something of a prized collectible at this point. The best place to buy a Mobius would be on the Mobius developer's designated eBay seller's page - (eletoponline365) . There are numerous options available such as which lens you want on it, whether you want a battery or a super-capacitor (these are easily user swapable), important accessories, etc. There is also a 4K model. Mobius is a whole world unto itself and very different from any other action/dash camera on the market, so just know what you are getting into. You might really enjoy it and there are many dedicated fans of the camera here on DCT !

I don't necessarily want to turn this into a Mobius thread unless whatever is discussed is relevant to the RTC300 discussion so I'll leave it at that here but we can discuss this in greater depth via PM, if you want further advice and feedback.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is someone on DashCamTalk or a @viofo representative but they are literally spamming Reddit with telephoto lens push and my YouTube channel video.
I just deleted 10 comments as they are going to every person and commenting that there will be a new rear camera. View attachment 73154
View attachment 73153
I saw Viofo post on Facebook that they will release a new rear camera to plug into the interior camera port. I don't think they claimed it would be 2K rather than 1080p though, so probably just a swap to a non-IR camera.

I'm looking through some sample footage from this morning and I'm seeing a surprising amount of blockiness / compression in the telephoto video

Obviously the lens itself wouldn't cause a problem like that but as @TonyM pointed out things like bitrate (firmware) and perhaps processor could?

Are you saying that the normal video from the main camera doesn't have this issue but the telephoto camera module does? Since the RTC300 has its own processor, (and I assume firmware), then that's where the problem likely lies.

Are you saying that the normal video from the main camera doesn't have this issue but the telephoto camera module does? Since the RTC300 has its own processor, (and I assume firmware), then that's where the problem likely lies.
I just grabbed the memory card to look through another clip. Here's one from yesterday. Hopefully even with YouTube compression you can see the difference. It's a 1 min clip. First 20 sec is the wide cam, next 20 sec is the telephoto, then last 20 sec is a split screen from both cams.

This is with HDR on. I'm gonna look at footage with it off too. Also not sure why it was registering 0 mph as my speed. GPS was working fine today.

Edit: Sorry @safedrivesolutions, I just noticed this thread is about your review video. Would you like me to start a different one or continue posting in your thread?

I just grabbed the memory card to look through another clip. Here's one from yesterday. Hopefully even with YouTube compression you can see the difference. It's a 1 min clip. First 20 sec is the wide cam, next 20 sec is the telephoto, then last 20 sec is a split screen from both cams.

This is with HDR on. I'm gonna look at footage with it off too. Also not sure why it was registering 0 mph as my speed. GPS was working fine today.

Edit: Sorry @safedrivesolutions, I just noticed this thread is about your review video. Would you like me to start a different one or continue posting in your thread?
yeah actually i noticed that mine did no gps as well. But i assumed that was just the telephoto video file. But yeah looks scrambly

Check the bitrate on your videos.
It seems that the camera has not left the parking mode. I had this on the test firmware.

Check the bitrate on your videos.
It seems that the camera has not left the parking mode. I had this on the test firmware.
Ahh good call. It's about 8 Mb/s. That could explain the 0mph as well since I have GPS disabled in parking mode.

I just checked some footage from today with the GPS working and it was 24 Mb/s and the file sizes were 3x larger. Looks like you nailed it.

Yes, the difference is immediately obvious as the telephoto lens exhibits serious pixel blocking which is a low bit-rate artifact.

If the issue is because it's stuck in parking mode does that mean the telephoto functions during parking mode?

It is a fantasy, I know, but I would love to see a (pehaps hidden) sub-menu on traditional dash cams that would provide advanced photographic controls to those who know what they are doing and want to tune their camera to their exact imaging preferences.
Look into my post about sensor setting. So if you are strong enough for it you be able to change many settings for Novatek too. Yes, it is not so user friendly as for Mobius and as I know does not have any GUI utility for this. Even if I want to write some GUI for it I do not have nor Novatek SDK nor Sony technical datasheets for Starvis2 sensor.

Make one with mechanical shutter and 1/8000 shutter speed

You can find this video for reference, a user from Taiwan has done some comparison with the Z3 Plus.
What about oncoming traffic? that is where I seen the challenge

Has someone demonstrated HDR ON vs OFF with the telephoto, both day & night?

I understand that one of the main reasons for using the 2K camera is to take advantage of HDR on the IMX675, rather than use the interior 1080p Starvis 1 camera. I have seen that it is very effective for reflective number plates at night, which is very useful, but that is not the only reason I might want to buy this camera.

Are there any downsides to using HDR on a telephoto? Hopefully there are none and it's all good.

None of my DIY telephoto cameras have HDR so I cannot test this myself.

Back