Viofo Telephoto Dash Camera Add On

Last edited:
Look into my post about sensor setting. So if you are strong enough for it you be able to change many settings for Novatek too. Yes, it is not so user friendly as for Mobius and as I know does not have any GUI utility for this. Even if I want to write some GUI for it I do not have nor Novatek SDK nor Sony technical datasheets for Starvis2 sensor.

Thanks for your post Dex. I do have some rudimentary coding and scripting skills and have worked with hexadecimal codes but I'm not sure how practical it might be to have to reprogram the firmware every time I want to change an imaging parameter on a camera. Every time I've tweaked a camera's settings on a Mobius I usually make small adjustments to see how they affect the image and then keep adjusting up or down until I find the sweet spot. The GUI makes this a quick and easy process. I think having to repeatedly reload the firmware each time I make a small change might be too cumbersome and time consuming. (for me at least).

One interesting feature of the Mobius is the ability to create and manipulate a SYSCFG.TXT file that can be loaded onto or downloaded from the camera via the memory card. This way you can control camera parameters without using the GUI at all. In theory you could keep several copies of differently configured SYSCFG.TXT files on hand and load them at will.

Date time=[2024/07/04:33:34];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss

Video Mode 1 resolution=[0];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p,1:720p
Video Mode 1 Frame Rate=[2];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p), 2:30fps
Video Mode 2 resolution=[1];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p,1:720p
Video Mode 2 Frame Rate=[1];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p),2:30fps

Photo Mode Capture Size=[0];set photo size,0:2304x1536,1:1920x1080,2:1280x720
Set Time Lapse Shooting=[0],0ff,1:0.25s,2:0.5s,3:1s,4:2s,5:5s,6:10s,7:30s,8:60s

Movie cycle time=[2];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte,
Movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off,0ff,1n,
Time stamp=[1];set date/time stamp on or off,0ff,1n,
Movie sound=[1];set movie sound,0:mute,1n,
Movie Flip=[0];set movie rotate,0ff,1n,
Movie quality=[1];set movie quality, set movie data rate,0:Super,1:Standard,2:Low,
Movie high dynamic range=[0];set movie high dynamic range,0ff,1n,

Power on=[1];set system power on time,0:delay,1:fast
Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0ff,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Auto Record=[0];set connect or disconnect with power to start or stop video recording automatically,,0ff,1n,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0ff,1n,
Charge from USB Host=[0]; when connecting with USB host, charge camera or not,0n,1ff

TV out=[0];set Tv out,0:NTSC,1AL,
TV Display Ratio=[0];set display ratio,0:4*3,1:16*9

{TLCAM MOV:2024/07/04 v0.32}
{LDTLCAM,v001}

I purchased my very first dash cam in 2010 - a generic camera ordered from China back when there were no North American dash cam sellers and dash cams were something most people here in the U.S. had never heard of.
It was a 1080P cam which was a new thing back in those days as most dash cams on the market offered only 720P. The camera performed amazingly well but by today's standards it wouldn't hold up well. However, the camera's menu included the ability to adjust for sharpness, exposure, contrast, brightness and hue (warm, cool, neutral, etc,), so you could actually improve on the cam's default settings. There were some other parameters you could control too that I don't even remember at this point.

Anyway, I thought that all dash cams would come with image adjustment features like this in the menu tree but no dash cam I've ever owned since has them. Based on this experience with my first dash cam, I don't see why this can't be included in today's models unless there is some SDK or technical limitation with the DSP.

I understand that one of the main reasons for using the 2K camera is to take advantage of HDR on the IMX675, rather than use the interior 1080p Starvis 1 camera. I have seen that it is very effective for reflective number plates at night, which is very useful, but that is not the only reason I might want to buy this camera.

The interior 1080 camera also has HDR, so that i not the reason for using 2K, I think that sensor actually catches most night time reflective plates just about as well as the IMX675 if it is set up as a front facing camera with HDR on, although it has less resolution, so can't see as far, which will mean it will miss some that the 2K sensor catches. The 2K is used because it has twice the detail of 1080, some of which is used for reading plates at greater distance, and some of which is used to keep a decent field of view.

Are there any downsides to using HDR on a telephoto? Hopefully there are none and it's all good.
No, it's a big advantage at night, just as it is for the normal front cameras, if it's calibration matches the performance of your headlamps. People do seem to have varying success with HDR, but it can work really well on both normal and telephoto cameras.

In daytime, most people are choosing to disable the HDR, most using the Auto HDR setting, although I think eventually HDR will work during daylight at least as well as no HDR. Not sure if the current hardware will get there, but future hardware will.

Last edited:
Has someone demonstrated HDR ON vs OFF with the telephoto, both day & night?
Are there any downsides to using HDR on a telephoto?
Based on my testing HDR only works at night.
HDR enabled during DAYTIME makes the plates blurry.
My definition of night is: 1 hour after sunset, or total darkness with no sunlight.
-Chuck

Back