Viofo VS1

fast boot is not mandatory for the dashcam
No at least not super fast, i have yet to see a functioning dashcam that is too slow in booting.
But as i have operated many cameras in the car at the same time for years, it is clear that they do boot in significant different speeds

I am quick to get under way though, i am most often 50 - 100 M down the road before i get around to putting on the seat belt.
Only in winter am i slow, CUZ then i start the car, but then i have to remove snow / frost on the windows, get back in the car and complain to myself about the weather and why the hell are car seat heating not instant, before i can drive.

VS1 arrived yesterday with firmware: V1.0_240105.
8.jpg

There isn't much space on the windshield so I decided to mount it on the dashboard.
VS1.jpg

Videos and screenshots will come later.

.... and if you will mount it on some magnetic plates you can even rotate it

You can buy such mounts, like the ones for smartphones, not needed for Viofo to create them after they already created actual mounting system.

Screenshots from VS1, Mini 2, A229 Pro and the rear camera of the A229Pro installed on the windshield just to the right of the left pillar.

View attachment 71045 View attachment 71046 View attachment 71047 View attachment 71048

View attachment 71049 View attachment 71050 View attachment 71051 View attachment 71052
That is a very good lens on the VS1!
Should be a cheaper lens than the others?

Seems to be a lack of bitrate... what are the bitrates?

Reactions: Mtz
On all models installed in my car, I set the maximum bitrate.
Mini 2 = 30.6 Mb/s
VS1 = 25.7 Mb/s
Not too bad, but I guess all those tree branches with no leaves use a lot at that speed, and low light levels always seem to use extra bitrate on Novatek processors.

This is how I have it mounted in a Tesla ;)
That looks a good setup, it has a decent height there, Karagandinez's is a little low, hides the hedge in front of the car in the parked images.

You will have all the raindrops on the glass in focus though, which is not so desirable...

That looks a good setup, it has a decent height there, Karagandinez's is a little low, hides the hedge in front of the car in the parked images.
I think these couple of centimeters just before the hood will not play a role in the visibility of the situation on the road...

I think these couple of centimeters just before the hood will not play a role in the visibility of the situation on the road...
I think, because yours is further forward than runtohell121's, they probably have about the same view!

If you are going to follow Mtz's advice for a magnetic mount, I would make a taller mount instead of trying to make it thin, to increase the height a little. Too tall and you will get extra vibration though.

On my car, I have always mounted them on the instrument binnacle for a little extra height, which does improve the view, but it will depend on the car design.

A low position does mean that when you are close behind someone, it looks like you are closer to them, the gap between the cars is not so visible and the front corners of the your car are not visible. You shouldn't be driving close enough for it to make a difference, but if you are driving too close then it may make a difference to how the insurance assessor or police judge your driving. It also makes it less easy to see if you actually hit someone when they claim that you did.

When driving it does not make much difference, should actually reduce the motion blur a tiny amount, and it can reduce the dashboard reflections considerably.

For a permanent install, I would choose to put it up by the mirror, but at the bottom is fine for a temporary install.

On all models installed in my car, I set the maximum bitrate.
Mini 2 = 30.6 Mb/s
VS1 = 25.7 Mb/s
It is looking really good for a cheaper dashcam, excellent lens and excellent HDR on your last post.
I wonder if it can manage a bit more bitrate?
Maybe they don't want it looking better than the more expensive dashcams!

It is looking really good for a cheaper dashcam, excellent lens and excellent HDR on your last post.
I wonder if it can manage a bit more bitrate?
Maybe they don't want it looking better than the more expensive dashcams!
Have to maintain product differentiation somehow...

A low position does mean that when you are close behind someone, it looks like you are closer to them, the gap between the cars is not so visible and the front corners of the your car are not visible. You shouldn't be driving close enough for it to make a difference, but if you are driving too close then it may make a difference to how the insurance assessor or police judge your driving. It also makes it less easy to see if you actually hit someone when they claim that you did.
For arguments, I always have at least 2 cameras filming the situation in front. One of them is near the rearview mirror.
And at least one camera on the back. I think this will be enough. ;)

For a permanent install, I would choose to put it up by the mirror, but at the bottom is fine for a temporary install.
I don't plan on installing the VS1 on my windshield. Mini 2 occupies a place of honor there and I will not remove it.
For a long time, this place was occupied by A119V3, but now Mini 2 suits me better.
Well, VS1, in the place where it is installed, copes with its duties very well and does not attract attention with its size.
It will stay there for now, but in the future I plan to put it on the back door. If it works out, then in the same position.

Screenshots from VS1, Mini 2, A229 Plus.

VS1.jpg Mini 2.jpg A229 Plus.jpg

Back