Wasn't really looking for a new dashcam... BUT...

I'd seen a few clips from @Paul Iddon on youtube and wasn't sure if it was just his edit, as his were also very quiet in relation to reality.

What I may do shortly when I nip out is put my Mio 508 alongside it and do a comparison for audio, a bit of stereo, me farting if time allows, whatever happens along the journey, you'll see (hear) the difference

Mine too is quiet - but normally I switch off the mic anyway, so to me, I din't consider it an issue.

Here is a quick audio test. Sounded OK with my headphones on playing through the computer, but when I casted it to the TV it was very quiet:

Paul.

@Paul Iddon , love those thick letters on licence plates! They are very thin in North America! lol

@Paul Iddon , love those thick letters on licence plates! They are very thin in North America! lol

YouTube has messed the quality though...

I'll see if it looks better on Vimeo.

Here's the Vimeo upload - lets see if their compression ratio holds out better...

Those are nice licence plates, how fast are you going? And what speed do the licence plates become more difficult to read?

Also, is your car a right hand drive and you have the dashcam to the left side of your rear view mirror? I see the image is more to the left of your car. I noticed mine also sees more of the right side being a left hand drive. That makes sense to me.

@mealto

I would be driving at a maximum of 30mph (45-48khp) which is the speed limit. I would have to drive down a faster road to see where plates start to lose vision.
Yes, my car is left hand drive (UK).

My cams at the moment are the A119 Pro on the left side, because centrally I have my Nextbase 612GW Elite (4K) cam, and to the right, the space is reserved (ahem) for the A129 when I get it delivered from @viofo in the next few days.

First half of the clip actually makes it seem like the music is blasting out of the car, but it's really not, it's just picked up extremely well on the 508, it's as if reality is right in the middle of both cams

Might be worth peeping inside. The case will be held on by just 4 screws I suppose? Would there by a gap between the case hole and the end of the Mic which might have some foam there? I'm not one for tinkering inside things like this....

Might be worth peeping inside. The case will be held on by just 4 screws I suppose? Would there by a gap between the case hole and the end of the Mic which might have some foam there? I'm not one for tinkering inside things like this....

I may just do that. Will let you know if I discover anything.

If it's like the A119/A119S inside, then there will only be a very small gap between the mic and the case. Shouldn't be any foam in the area. Possible the hole in the casing didn't fully develop in the molding process? Can you see that there is an actual opening in the case for the mic?

Last edited:
So it hasn't officially been "solved".. just a speculation that a firmware upgrade may cure it?

So it hasn't officially been "solved".. just a speculation that a firmware upgrade may cure it?

At this point, no one can confirm if it's a mechanical issue or firmware controlled.

That's the speaker he is pointing to on that website.

He appears to have updated the photos on that link (I feel like we're being watched! :eek::ROFLMAO:)

Mr Ian Lee if you are watching, have you done a firmware upgrade? I can't do mine until weekend (too lazy)

Last edited:
Looks like the post has been updated with a better image of the microphones.

if they all do it then it could just be a firmware bug, lots of users have made no comment about audio but that might not be conclusive evidence, if it's only some that are doing it then they may have got some bad mics

Deleted my earlier posts as they are no longer relevant since the site was updated so quickly.

Well if he's out there... thanks!! (like telling Clark Kent to thank Superman!!)

The photos are brilliant, on Saturday I'll investigate my own cam further, as I have cokctail sticks in (for vehicle scratch/stonechip repair believe it or not, they're a godsend!)

I think its possible some people won't think of the quiet audio as an "issue" if they haven't had another cam to compare it to, but I was always aware of how good the audio sensitivity is, on my Mio 508s

Back