Weird app behavior with 512GB card

RaggedEdge

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm having weird app behavior when trying to pull videos off of my 139 Pro. I record with loop time set to 1 min, so when the 512GB is filled up, there are a significant amount of files on it, when trying to access them with the app, it will not show the newest recordings. Like today, the newest recordings I can access via the app is from yesterday, 4/1/23. When I pull the SD card, all of the files are on there. Does the app just choke on the amount of files that are present on a 512GB card? I reformatted the card and if the card is only like 1/3 full, I can easily access all of the files. I guess I'll have to go to a smaller card if this is an app limitation.

It could be a APP issue, it not being able to load preview icons for as many videos as can be on a 512 GB card.
What video segment size do you use ?
I ask CUZ some like to use 1 minute, which i personally feel ar just insane, i use 3 minutes myself, but larger video files will mean less of them. But it might be something you can try to cut ´down the rumen of files, if that is the issue.
Of course using say 10 minute video segments, it would slow down download speeds if you was to share something in situ, personally as a Dane that would never be needed so share at the site of a event, i have shared with cops but then they have gotten mu footage when i bloody well please, meaning in a hour or so when i have gotten home and moved the footage to a disk or thump drive for them.

I will tag in Viofo here, so er can get some company feedback too on this
@VIOFO-Support / @viofo

That's too bad. I only use a Sandisk 256GB card and haven't filled it yet. The A139 Pro product FAQ page does say that 512GB cards are supported: "The camera supports cards up to 512GB, and a 128GB/256GB card is relatively more stable."

I suggest you report this to Viofo as a firmware bug. File a ticket at: https://support.viofo.com/support/home.

Hello.

128-Viofo-original Gb here. The more crowded the card gets, the longer it takes for the thumbnail-update process to get started. Seems to be a pattern here ... ^^

Same issue, using Viofo’s branded 512GB card.

The app takes forever to show the video files if there’s more than a day’s worth of videos, sometimes times out during this process, & when they do show, it’s random for how recent the video files are listed, even though they’re all there on the SD card (proven by loading SD card into laptop).

I’ve set loop time to 3 minutes to reduce how many files are created; this has helped somewhat, but hasn’t fixed the problem.

Seems like a bug to me.

Same issue, using Viofo’s branded 512GB card.

The app takes forever to show the video files if there’s more than a day’s worth of videos, sometimes times out during this process, & when they do show, it’s random for how recent the video files are listed, even though they’re all there on the SD card (proven by loading SD card into laptop).

I’ve set loop time to 3 minutes to reduce how many files are created; this has helped somewhat, but hasn’t fixed the problem.

Seems like a bug to me.
Okay, this is exactly what I was trying to describe in my OP. I've changed the loop time to 3 minutes, but it sounds like that won't completely fix the issue. Maybe move to a 256GB card with 3 minute loop time?

I feel like digging out my A139 and run it again.
But i am fairly sure i did check a few times using a 256 GB card ( which is the size i primarily test with and use ) and dident get any flaws using the APP.
Or maybe the APP dont give any error code, and people just notice that the loaded previews only load to some date before the day they check and so do not load them all.
I have to admit i did not look at it that way when i tested the A139, primarily i looked at the DL speed which have long been awful in dashcams,, personally i dont really ever use the WIFI abillity of dashcams as i have no need for it, and intensely dislike touching my phone.

I might buy a 256 GB card to try out, as I can’t fill the 512GB card anyways without the app choking up w/ all of the files. To use the app to review footage, I’ve gotta format the SD card when it gets around 200GB full, making the extra capacity somewhat useless

I have not yet been brave enough to pick up a 512 GB card for testing, i do feel that 256GB tie me over just fine.
But as a retiree on a pension i do not drive a whole lot comparing to my younger days among the hard working and earning folks.

So I'm having weird app behavior when trying to pull videos off of my 139 Pro. I record with loop time set to 1 min, so when the 512GB is filled up, there are a significant amount of files on it, when trying to access them with the app, it will not show the newest recordings. Like today, the newest recordings I can access via the app is from yesterday, 4/1/23. When I pull the SD card, all of the files are on there. Does the app just choke on the amount of files that are present on a 512GB card? I reformatted the card and if the card is only like 1/3 full, I can easily access all of the files. I guess I'll have to go to a smaller card if this is an app limitation.
Do you mean that you can just find recent files on the app from yesterday or you can just find previous files before yesterday? Could you please send us some screenshots for analysis? The screenshot of files shown on the computer and screenshots of files on the app in the same period are needed.

I'm seeing long load times on my 256 gig cards as well. I'd imagine the problem might be even worse with 512 gig cards. I'm also not seeing image previews load on either Android or iOS. IIRC it used to work, but it's not right now.

I will have to admit, that when i tested the A229 and the APP / DL speed. It was with a 256GB card that was not full.

I can not test it again, CUZ the A229 have developed a " error " where i can no longer connect to it using wifi,,,,, just like i experienced with the test sample of the SG9663DR system back in the day.
Other than that the A229 i have work excellent, i think of it as my main camera these days, and it is also the one i rely for doing parking guard.

I confirm. There is a problem with 512 GB cards. The application reports a card reading error when the entire card is saved and files are overwritten. Only reading files from the card in the computer helps. The application hangs.

Yeah it would seem it is a APP problem, though i am also amazed that there would be a max file number, or maybe a finite memory space that can not handle all those files.
Then again i couldent code anything if my life depended on it, and i have a tendency to think are easier than they are.

It sort of make me want to try with smaller than the 3 minute files i use in my A229 duo, just to see if i could replicate the issue that way.

Do you mean that you can just find recent files on the app from yesterday or you can just find previous files before yesterday?
I mean I can only access files that are almost a day or so old via the app, newer files are not available unless I pull the SD card and access them that way.
Could you please send us some screenshots for analysis? The screenshot of files shown on the computer and screenshots of files on the app in the same period are needed.
Here are the files accessible via the app:
Screenshot_20230407-192329.png

As you can see, the newest file that's available is from 6:15am

Here is the screenshot when I pull the card:

Viofo A139 Pro SD Card.png

As you can see, I have files that are from much later the same day that I can only retrieve if I pull the sd card from the camera.

Hmm, very interesting. I have the same problem. I checked my 512GB that was full, and it indeed was full, yet I could only see recordings from multiple days ago within the app.

Hmm, very interesting. I have the same problem. I checked my 512GB that was full, and it indeed was full, yet I could only see recordings from multiple days ago within the app.
Somewhat older thread, but having recording issues with the A139 Pro. Once my SD fills, it doesn't overwrite.

It just simply is not saving video after the card is full. It should overwrite but it doesn't; it stays full and records nothing at all, even though the Rec light is on and it gives audible confirmation as well when recording supposedly starts. BT Pushbutton doesn't save/lock the video either. The card currently in use is a Max Endurance 256GB that I have to format manually after it fills.
So are you saying that your dashcam is actually overwriting older files and there are recent recordings on your 512GB SD card, but it's just that the app doesn't show the recent recordings? That's still a bug in the app but at least you're not losing recordings (which would be a much more concerning).

So are you saying that your dashcam is actually overwriting older files and there are recent recordings on your 512GB SD card, but it's just that the app doesn't show the recent recordings? That's still a bug in the app but at least you're not losing recordings (which would be a much more concerning).
Yes, it does indeed seem to be an app issue. Checking the cards, it is overwriting as it should, but I can't see any files in the app after a fairly short period. I have loop on five mins and max bitrate, which really seems to bog it down. Heavily.

The one thing that is still weird... it won't work with a Viofo 256GB card at all. Even after formatting it to hell and back, the DC itself won't format it and thus use it.

Yes, it does indeed seem to be an app issue. Checking the cards, it is overwriting as it should, but I can't see any files in the app after a fairly short period. I have loop on five mins and max bitrate, which really seems to bog it down. Heavily.

The one thing that is still weird... it won't work with a Viofo 256GB card at all. Even after formatting it to hell and back, the DC itself won't format it and thus use it.
That's unexpected - Sorry, maybe there is some hardware problem with the card so you need an RMA. But before that try using the PC program to format the card:
  1. Format on a computer like Windows: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...-should-i-format-the-card-and-how-to-do-that-
  2. Download and format using the SD Memory Card Formatter tool (Windows/Mac): https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a139-pro-stopped-recording-suddenly.48215/page-3#post-591772

I mean I can only access files that are almost a day or so old via the app, newer files are not available unless I pull the SD card and access them that way.

Here are the files accessible via the app:
View attachment 64655

As you can see, the newest file that's available is from 6:15am

Here is the screenshot when I pull the card:

View attachment 64656

As you can see, I have files that are from much later the same day that I can only retrieve if I pull the sd card from the camera.
It seems that you have not loaded them completely on APP. Since there are many files on your card, it needs longer times for downloading. If you have waited enough time for downloading, shall we get a video for analysis? Please upload a video here:
https://viofo.wetransfer.com/
Please advise us after uploading. It is better to open a ticket on our official website to get help:

Back