What 3M adhesive product should I use?

patrick0525

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan to mount on the windshield black-dot area. What 3M product should I use without damaging the block-dot area after one year in the sun. Thanks

If you want to be able to swap it between two cars after you install it use but still want a great black dot hold use 3M dual lock tape. Here
You can probably find it locally cheaper. Walmart carries it for about 3 dollars per pack.

Was able to hunt down a few pictures. It's all I use to install my cameras.
ZSXvpVRm.jpg
1LOnFcHm.jpg

v4Rdmiym.jpg
appT3MCm.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JDT0HV6
Does the adhesive of this product works the same way as 3M VHB tape? Non-damaging to the windshield black-dots? Has anybody tried removing it ? Does it come off cleanly as VHB?
I've used it and had no issues getting it off. I can't remember if it left any residue or not but if it did there wasn't much and it cleaned up.

The problem with the dual-lock tape is the black version has a white backing where the adhesive is and it's very visible from the outside if you mount it on the glass. The 'clear' version is also visible from the outside but not to the same degree.

The problem with the dual-lock tape is the black version has a white backing where the adhesive is and it's very visible
That might be a down side for some people I did forget about that.
FicwdMH.jpg

Clear in back

CCyUka4.jpg

White upfront.

Again the trade off to this being if for some reason you need to take the entire mount off like switching it between cars without buying a new mount or putting a little bit longer piece like I have in the back and being able to move it to the right or left a little

The problem with the dual-lock tape is the black version has a white backing where the adhesive is and it's very visible from the outside if you mount it on the glass.

I'm puzzled about this comment. All the black Dual Lock tape I've ever purchased has a black adhesive. Some versions do come with a white protective release strip covering the black adhesive that is removed before installation. Why is this a problem?

I'm puzzled about this comment. All the black Dual Lock tape I've ever purchased has a black adhesive. Some versions do come with a white protective release strip covering the black adhesive that is removed before installation. Why is this a problem?
Not talking about the release strip but the actual adhesive strip itself. All the black dual lock I've seen in the stores has white adhesive - if I could find it with black I'd buy it in bulk. :D

Look at the Amazon link in the above post and you can see where the backing on the 'knobby' stuff is white. :(

Not talking about the release strip but the actual adhesive strip itself. All the black dual lock I've seen in the stores has white adhesive - if I could find it with black I'd buy it in bulk. :D

Look at the Amazon link in the above post and you can see where the backing on the 'knobby' stuff is white. :(

3M sells a vast array of VHB and Dual Lock tape products, and while it is available with a white adhesive it is widely available with black adhesive. Of the 47 different 3M Dual Lock products they sell only a few come with white adhesive. Locally, Target, Walmart, Walgreens and three hardware stores in my area sell black Dual Lock tape and all of these come with black adhesive.

...Locally, Target, Walmart, Walgreens and three hardware stores in my area sell black Dual Lock tape and all of these come with black adhesive.
I don't doubt that. Unfortunately it seems that all retailers around here choose to sell the white backed version. :(

Even Walmart, Walgreens and Target?
Haven't looked in Walmart and haven't seen it in the others. Seems that only hardware type stores carry it around here - ACE, ACO, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. A Menard's just opened not too far from me so I may take a look there.

Haven't looked in Walmart and haven't seen it in the others. Seems that only hardware type stores carry it around here - ACE, ACO, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. A Menard's just opened not too far from me so I may take a look there.

Sorry you are having such trouble finding it.

Edit: Now that you mention it, the local Home Depot sells it only with black adhesive too. I wouldn't know where to find it with white adhesive. Are you sure you can only find it with white adhesive?

...Are you sure you can only find it with white adhesive?
Last time I looked (maybe 4 months ago, at Home Depot for that matter) it was either clear with clear adhesive or black with white adhesive.

What width 3M VHB do most people go with? Was thinking the 1" 5952 style in black would work well.

Last time I looked (maybe 4 months ago, at Home Depot for that matter) it was either clear with clear adhesive or black with white adhesive.

Maybe try calling 3M's Help Center to ask where to obtain the product with black adhesive? --- (1-888-364-3577)

My Walmart is white backing. That's where I got what is in my front windscreen.

I dunno. I don't remember exactly which of the stores I bought this from but this is what I've got. I'll double check next time I drop by local retailers.

Edit: I think it was Target.

dualLk.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jfsoto1988 G1WX 3
R G1WX 2
Back