What cam for massive internal mirror ?

croustx

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi ! :)

Since few days, I'm driving a Renault Espace 5.

Compared to other cars I may have, I cannot find a good way to place a dashcam on it.

And this is because of the massive plastic cover around the internal mirror

renault-espace5-2015-10.jpg

upload_2016-2-5_13-52-16.png

The thing is :
- I cannot place the dashcam on passenger side, as the wiper is not swipping very high on that side ;
- I cannot glue a cam on the plastic behind the mirror : there are many sensors
- I'm not a big fan of having the cam on driver's side.

So I need your help !

What cam / form factor should I purchase and where should it be located ?
As I want a very discreet setup

Thanks a lot !

... I want a very discreet setup ...

Welcome to DCT. I appreciate you'd prefer not to have the cam on the driver side, however, there appears to be room at the bottom of the dotted zone for a tiny, discreet cam like the SGZC12RC or Mobius, which you probably won't even notice.

image.jpg

Welcome to DCT. I appreciate you'd prefer not to have the cam on the driver side, however, there appears to be room at the bottom of the dotted zone for a tiny, discreet cam like the SGZC12RC or Mobius, which you probably won't even notice.

View attachment 20670

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just effraid that if I place a camera at the bottom of the dotted area, the plastic cover may hide the visibility of the dash cam, isn't it ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just effraid that if I place a camera at the bottom of the dotted area, the plastic cover may hide the visibility of the dash cam, isn't it ?
It's difficult to state with certainty that there wouldn't be some intrusion. The sensor housing in my car is smaller than yours, & isn't a problem for me ...

image.jpg image.jpg

Welcome to DCT croustx.

The sensor housing on the espace 5 do look to be pretty round shaped, and it do take up a lot of room on the windscreen i think.
maxresdefault.jpg

I would prefer to hang a camera off the bottom of the sensor housing, but that might be problematic with this car, so i think you will have to offset it a little to one side like russ have done.
Only way i can see a more or less offset camera to be problematic is if you make trip videos, it can be annoying to watch with the camera offset to one side.
But otherwise for insurance and safty / dokumentation i dont see it as a problem, you should still be able to capture all you need.

Good thing with the SGZC12RC is it have a screen, so you can experiment by just holding the camera in places around your windscreen and see the results you can get before you start to glue things in place.

You can make the camera take up even less place compared to the install russ have, you can do that by having a USB angle adapter between the camera unit and the USB wire, that way you can change the direction of the wire as it come off the camera to somthing that suit your plans better.
I think niko that sell the SGZC12RC in EU have those too, or i am sure he can help you find the one you would need for a discrete install in your car.

Last edited:
Welcome yo DCT forum @croustx.
If you have any question in regards yo SGZC12RC feel free to ask. I am always here to assist you.

Hi !

I think I'll try a cylinder shaped dashcam.

I was about to purchase a mini 0806. But I just wonder if I should add some extra bucks and get a more expensive cam like the blackvue dr600gw-hd.

It is worst the extra money ?

Mini 0806 is around 120e and BV at 180.

Thanks !

Hi !

I think I'll try a cylinder shaped dashcam.

I was about to purchase a mini 0806. But I just wonder if I should add some extra bucks and get a more expensive cam like the blackvue dr600gw-hd.

It is worst the extra money ?

Mini 0806 is around 120e and BV at 180.

Thanks !

The best way to know about pros and cons of 0806 and BV, is to read feedback which you may find from their sub-forums.

Back