what dash cam should I buy?

So? It is a good camera, and most people have a smartphone these days, especially the poor.

Googled and it does offer wireless viewing via smartphone app. My only concern with cameras that lack a display are you can't tell if the camera has an issue. I.E. No display to see if camera has malfunctioned for some reason.

Also SD card is limited to 64gb according to amazon.

Not saying it's a bad camera just it's definitely an entry level model, that for a few extra bucks, could be bested by say a VIofo V119 or the upgraded
Blueskysea B2W 1080P

Last edited:
No display to see if camera has malfunctioned for some reason.
It tells you via voice, you can't miss that it has a problem!

Yes, the B1W is a budget camera, and you can save a few $ over the Viofo, but it is reliable and does a good job.
Yes, the Viofo A119 is a better dashcam with better image quality, but it is also bigger and more expensive.
And the A129 Pro is even better, and even more expensive!
Everyone has a different requirement, and the B1W is a good reliable dashcam for those that want to pay a minimum and don't need movie quality video.

It tells you via voice, you can't miss that it has a problem!

Well that solves that quandary then...

Yes, the B1W is a budget camera, and you can save a few $ over the Viofo, but it is reliable and does a good job.
Yes, the Viofo A119 is a better dashcam with better image quality, but it is also bigger and more expensive.
And the A129 Pro is even better, and even more expensive!
Everyone has a different requirement, and the B1W is a good reliable dashcam for those that want to pay a minimum and don't need movie quality video.

I'm still from the school of thought that some things aren't worth cutting corners on. I want clarity and reliability with a dash camera. Sure, a budget one in 1080p might do a satisfactory job, but their lenses and sensors are by no means cutting edge. Sufficient at best.

Way I look at things, if someone clobbers my car, I want proof in the best possible way. Cutting corners on say 50 or 60 USD / Pounds / Euros might cost you more in the long run. If say someone hits your car and lack of clarity doesn't capture the plates.

Ultimately, I'd save for a "Good / Great" camera and have the best possible outcome, than spring for an "Functional to Decent" Camera. But at the end of the day, capturing an event on video is still better than having NO PROOF.

Sure, a budget one in 1080p might do a satisfactory job, but their lenses and sensors are by no means cutting edge. Sufficient at best.
That is true of many budget cameras, but the reason the B1W gets recommended and is in: https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/
is that it does have a good lens, and stores a lot of detail, and is reliable, it is better than the rest. Could do with a sensor upgrade, but that would increase the price, and it was a good sensor in the last generation of dashcams.
Ultimately, I'd save for a "Good / Great" camera
But when do you stop and actually purchase?

If you can afford a tank of fuel then I would suggest the A119 V3 rather than the B1W, but the B1W makes a perfectly good rear camera...

The A119v3 is an excellent choice for a single cam, just not the ONLY good choice. Which is my entire point.

I do recall some members here who would tell newbies that they absolutely needed a Blackvue cam and that anything "less" wasn't worth considering, total BS :mad: I remember myself saving and scrounging for weeks to buy my first G1W/C which IIRC cost me either $48 or $52 total plus a 32GB card. There was no way I'd be able to afford a Blackvue back then, so to hear that niothing else was going to work for me was very disheartening :cry: Luckily several others here gave me better advice, and I was able to get into dashcamming :) Since that time many people have come here to DCT in similar financial situations so I've made it a point to always tell them of the good cheap cams unless they stated that they were looking for something more upscale or needed a feature not found in the cheaper cams. And as best I can recall, only one person who came here looking for a cam was still unable to get one, so I feel vindicated in my approach :cool:

And to those wanting better I've always pointed them that way too. But I've never told anyone which cam they need based on my own perspective instead of theirs, which is exactly what @HonestReview and @Nigel are doing here. Look back at the OP and see what they asked about. For the purposes they stated they needed, a low-end cam will do every bit as well as a high-end cam. You're both being like the "Blackvue" people I spoke of- something you should really think about. You're not being very helpful to the OP by not letting them know of the many choices and different levels of dashcams. You're spending their money for them and possibly directing them to far more than they need. You should leave that choice to them.

And to @ronberge I apologize for the mess this thread has turned into- we've not been very helpful to you at all which is probably why you haven't posted anymore. I do hope you find a suitable cam and end up with a good enough reliable one which is there for you when you need it.

Phil

And to those wanting better I've always pointed them that way too. But I've never told anyone which cam they need based on my own perspective instead of theirs, which is exactly what @HonestReview and @Nigel are doing here. Look back at the OP and see what they asked about. For the purposes they stated they needed,...
The OP hasn't stated any purposes they need other than to avoid wrongfully being ticketed, and hasn't stated a budget or what type of vehicle, might be for a motorbike. Bit difficult to guess much other info when they appear to be in Vietnam but claim to be in New York and have only made a single post. Could maybe guess that it was not a genuine question!

As for me telling them exactly what camera to buy, I have only pointed at https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ twice and defended the B1W as a decent choice of budget camera, which happens to be listed in https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ , a page that is nothing to do with me. I am not suggesting that they should buy that camera, only that it is a decent budget camera, and that they should read https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ to get a decent overview of the range of cameras available, which based on the OP, they may well already have done.

As for looking back at the question that was actually asked, well none of the above posts actually answers that question in any way!
There was only one sentence with a '?' at the end: "Has anyone had experience with either of those?"

The OP hasn't stated any purposes they need other than to avoid wrongfully being ticketed, and hasn't stated a budget or what type of vehicle, might be for a motorbike. Bit difficult to guess much other info when they appear to be in Vietnam but claim to be in New York and have only made a single post. Could maybe guess that it was not a genuine question!

As for me telling them exactly what camera to buy, I have only pointed at https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ twice and defended the B1W as a decent choice of budget camera, which happens to be listed in https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ , a page that is nothing to do with me. I am not suggesting that they should buy that camera, only that it is a decent budget camera, and that they should read https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ to get a decent overview of the range of cameras available, which based on the OP, they may well already have done.

As for looking back at the question that was actually asked, well none of the above posts actually answers that question in any way!
There was only one sentence with a '?' at the end: "Has anyone had experience with either of those?"

OP hasn't given ANY GUIDANCE and is absent from his own thread. All we're doing is giving multiple options from the lower affordable models (single cams) to dual dash cameras that cost a little more.

I recently had the unpleasant experience of being wrongly ticketed by a LEO (the first ticket I've ever received) and I'm determined not to let it happen again. I've been doing research on dash cams and have found the following two which seem popular:

1. http://www.spytechs.com/car-cameras/dual-view-cam.htm
2. http://thevideocopilot.com/Order_VC-250.php

Has anyone had experience with either of those? I'm wondering how they compare to the dash cams reviewed on this website.

Thanks for your advice.

Dear all,

I look for a little support here. I look for a good dual dashcam here. My requirements are the following:

-Usable recorded footage, both in day and night conditions, both front and rear, stored on a common codec
-Usable parking recording (I need to park my car on the street)
-Records on SD card or internal storage (doesn't matter)
-Records GPS information
-It does not die during extreme conditions (very cold or very hot, if I forget it in the car by mistake)
-In case it's needed, I can take it of very easily (i.e. magnetic holder or something like that) --> There are countries around me where it's forbidden to use a dashcam, so I would be able to remove it, even during driving
-It is stable during driving,
-It is reliable and/or 2-3 years of warranty

-it is cheaper than a gold bar - so preferably a good back for the buck.

What I have found:
Viofo 129 Duo - 185 EUR
Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dashcam - 140 EUR
iTracker mini0906 Pro - 130 EUR
TrueCam A6 - 130 EUR
Z-Edge Touch - 124 EUR
Z-Edge GPS - 120 EUR
Apeman - 45 EUR

Do you have any info besides the Viofo and the iTracker? It seems the TrueCam A6 is a very good contender, and the Vantrue is also have interesting features...

Most of the cameras you look at are types that hang off the windscreen, and so are not that stealthy which as you mention can be a problem visiting some countries.
Of the A129 and the 0906 i think the viofo have the better support, not even sure what itracker can do, it is just a 0906 their put their name on so not like they make the cameras them self.

The vantrue camera are also a front + cabin camera, so no camera for your rear window, and the cabin camera only capture a little out of the windows. It is a camera type we call Uber cameras as they are popular with Uber drivers.

I would avoid the Vantrue just because of the wobbly mount, you will see significant vibration on rough roads, while the A129 image is very steady. The rear image is also much better on the A129 because of the position of the rear camera, it will read plates of the cars behind.
Also, the Vantrue has a battery, not good for hot weather, and likely to need replacing after a year or two, while the A129 uses a super capacitor and will live for many years.

If you want an internal camera like the Vantrue, there is a A129 IR, and also look at the Blueskysea B2W which uses a super capacitor.

Dear all,

I look for a little support here. I look for a good dual dashcam here. My requirements are the following:

-Usable recorded footage, both in day and night conditions, both front and rear, stored on a common codec
-Usable parking recording (I need to park my car on the street)
-Records on SD card or internal storage (doesn't matter)
-Records GPS information
-It does not die during extreme conditions (very cold or very hot, if I forget it in the car by mistake)
-In case it's needed, I can take it of very easily (i.e. magnetic holder or something like that) --> There are countries around me where it's forbidden to use a dashcam, so I would be able to remove it, even during driving
-It is stable during driving,
-It is reliable and/or 2-3 years of warranty

-it is cheaper than a gold bar - so preferably a good back for the buck.

What I have found:
Viofo 129 Duo - 185 EUR
Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dashcam - 140 EUR
iTracker mini0906 Pro - 130 EUR
TrueCam A6 - 130 EUR
Z-Edge Touch - 124 EUR
Z-Edge GPS - 120 EUR
Apeman - 45 EUR

Do you have any info besides the Viofo and the iTracker? It seems the TrueCam A6 is a very good contender, and the Vantrue is also have interesting features...

I would suggest using an Arkon suction cup to mount the camera instead of the 3M adhesive. I do this on my front camera so I can pivot if ever needed (Police Stops Me, to Record out my Window, etc). Rear Camera I have mounted using 3M adhesive. But if you are worried about entering countries where Dash Cameras are Illegal, using a suction cup is the most ideal solution. I have no wobbling in my videos and the Arkon is very solid, well made, product.. Allowing you to unhook the camera where not permitted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0
1591123965274.png

Street Guardian and Viofo are very good brands. Street Guardian only releases features that are proven and tested to work. @jokiin and Street Guardian are very active on the forum. Viofo makes a great product. The A129 Duo has a few bugs, but is rock solid. Dupe frame every 92 frames and occasional dropped frame. Both related to a bug introduced in an earlier SDK. However, you aren't filming Hollywood Movies with the thing. My Viofo has already come in handy with one accident. +1.

So I have eliminated some of them. The contenders, and what I've found out...

Viofo 129 Duo - 185 EUR - This looks overall by far the best choice - just I am worried with the detachment. That suction cup solution can come handy, but further increases the price gap.
iTracker mini0906 Pro - 130 EUR -- I can read a lot of reliability issues over the net. It seems it is pretty sensitive for slower SD cards, not premium USB cables, and older FWs. Reliability is my concern :S
TrueCam A6 - 130 EUR -- The reviews are so bad on Amazon, I would not buy this one.
Z-Edge T4 Touch - 124 EUR -- No GPS, other than that, it does not look too bad.
Z-Edge Z3D GPS - 120 EUR -- Here I have seen a footage with a pretty darn noisy back cam. Other than that, looks OK.
AutoVox D5Pro - 78 EUR -- It looks quite OK, however it seems it's a 720p back cam, but still looks nice on footages I've found. However people say that it merges the two footages into one, so you can't see the back cam footage separately, only integrated on the upper right side of the front cam's footage... If that's the case, I'm not gonna buy that either.

Getting guided towards the Viofo...

just I am worried with the detachment.
Removing it is easy, the mount attaches to the glass with a 3M sticky pad, the camera can be removed from the mount with 1 hand while driving in 1 second. Only problem is that the rear camera plugs into the camera, so if you are using the rear camera, the cable needs removing first, the power cable plugs into the mount so that is not a problem.

Of the cams mentioned, the Viofo A129 Duo is going to have the best video and is reliable for driving recording. Some people are having issues using it in a parking mode and it seems that Novatek is going to have to update the SDK before Viofo's people can work that problem out. Otherwise it is an excellent cam and you may not have the parking mode problems with yours as not everybody does. I recommend the A129 Duo or a Street Guardian cam for anyone seeking a 2-channel cam; IMHO they are the two best you can get today at any price. The vids are somewhat lesser on the SG's but their design and build quality are tops, reliability the best, and customer support is superb. They are the very best choice in extreme climates. Costly but worth it.

On the others...
>The 0906 has some reliability issues in the last few years and is probably not going to see any more updates. Not bad for it's price but not made as good as it once was.
>Unfamiliar with TrueCam but it has a LiPo battery instead of supercaps which can be a problem in hot climates. The listed vid specs 1080P front and 720P rear are below average. The review comments either love or hate it which is usually a bad omen. To me not worth it even if it functions well because of the low vid specs.
>AutoVox is an economy brand with a history of issues with some models- I don't know about this one specifically but better quality can and should be had.
>Zedge is similar to AutoVox on quality; I've not heard a lot about it but I've heard of some failures to record with their cams from unexpected shutdowns.

Phil

So I have eliminated some of them. The contenders, and what I've found out...

Viofo 129 Duo - 185 EUR - This looks overall by far the best choice - just I am worried with the detachment. That suction cup solution can come handy, but further increases the price gap.
iTracker mini0906 Pro - 130 EUR -- I can read a lot of reliability issues over the net. It seems it is pretty sensitive for slower SD cards, not premium USB cables, and older FWs. Reliability is my concern :S
TrueCam A6 - 130 EUR -- The reviews are so bad on Amazon, I would not buy this one.
Z-Edge T4 Touch - 124 EUR -- No GPS, other than that, it does not look too bad.
Z-Edge Z3D GPS - 120 EUR -- Here I have seen a footage with a pretty darn noisy back cam. Other than that, looks OK.
AutoVox D5Pro - 78 EUR -- It looks quite OK, however it seems it's a 720p back cam, but still looks nice on footages I've found. However people say that it merges the two footages into one, so you can't see the back cam footage separately, only integrated on the upper right side of the front cam's footage... If that's the case, I'm not gonna buy that either.

Getting guided towards the Viofo...

If you are worried about staying within the law, then you are going to need a suction cupped mount. So instead of taking the 3M adhesive and applying direct to glass, you apply it to the plastic arm. And then when you need removal, you simply unsuction the suction cup on front and rear. Take off the power cables, and remove each camera. It'll take you 30 seconds.

You have no other choices my friend.

They just do some sort of GPS tracking business now by the looks of it

Well wonder of wonders, I got a reply to my PM and this is correct. SpyTec dropped their line of dashcams and other DVR products a couple years age and are focused solely on GPS trackers now. They did say that they expect to re-enter the dashcam market in the future sometime with a "fleet cam" which will have GPS tracking and cloud recording. No mention of returning to "consumer cams" so I guess their focus will remain on the commercial device markets- a field where there is plenty of room for advancement.

Wishing SpyTec well in it's future endeavors!

Phil

And I have found one for 130 EUR with a coupon - there were no more questions, I have ordered it. :)

And I have found one for 130 EUR with a coupon - there were no more questions, I have ordered it. :)

Very good choice. Be sure to order the hardwiring kit if you want parking mode. You can either hardwire to fuse box or a battery pack.

I'll definitely do that. Car is parking on the street.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Back