What does wifi support mean?

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have seen various threads in these forums that seem to talk about some dash cams supporting wifi. I guess this means that some others do not. But exactly what does wifi support in the context of a dashcam mean:
(1) That I use an app to watch what the dash cam is seeing/recording from my smartphone (like I can watch what my home's exterior surveillance cameras see/record in realtime) ?
(2) That I can connect the dashcam to my home's wifi network prior to installation to configure its settings?
(3) Both of the above?
(4) Either one or both of the above depending on the dashcam?
(5) Something else altogether?
Thanks!
-UV

Last edited:
I added "an app" to my question above since that's how I currently watch my home surveillance cams, yet I didn't include the keywork app in the question! Thanks!

Most wifi cameras are just a means to connect to the camera and do changes to settings, some you can also update firmware that route, and of course DL a file or two to your phone.
Then you have the smart cameras, that will also have some cloud functionality, and options for remote connection of the camera are a model with the option for a sim card ( a fairly new feature ) or older models that can use a 4G access point / internet router in the car.

Personally i am not going near the smart cameras, from watching in here it is just another layer of things that can go wrong, and i would never use a cloud storage for something like this, even if it was free.
Also the smart cameras, while not bad they never seem to be the ones with the very best image quality.

While i am a big wifi hater, i must also accknowlege that my eyes are getting old and tired and a phone screen are more easy to read than a small dashcam LCD screen.
So now if possible i do use wifi to do changes after a firmware update, but otherwise getting footage from the memory card i take it to my computer and put it in the card reader, cuz i also hate smartphones as much as wifi so i only use mine for 5 min - 1 hour every month.

Most wifi cameras are just a means to connect to the camera and do changes to settings, some you can also update firmware that route, and of course DL a file or two to your phone.
Then you have the smart cameras, that will also have some cloud functionality, and options for remote connection of the camera are a model with the option for a sim card ( a fairly new feature ) or older models that can use a 4G access point / internet router in the car.

Personally i am not going near the smart cameras, from watching in here it is just another layer of things that can go wrong, and i would never use a cloud storage for something like this, even if it was free.
Also the smart cameras, while not bad they never seem to be the ones with the very best image quality.

While i am a big wifi hater, i must also accknowlege that my eyes are getting old and tired and a phone screen are more easy to read than a small dashcam LCD screen.
So now if possible i do use wifi to do changes after a firmware update, but otherwise getting footage from the memory card i take it to my computer and put it in the card reader, cuz i also hate smartphones as much as wifi so i only use mine for 5 min - 1 hour every month.
Thank you kamkar. Although I am still "not there yet" in terms of fully understanding the entire enigma of what exactly wifi means/implies, your answer was definitely very, very helpful to me. I will take your response and head back to the wifi threads (and advertisements, etc) I have come across and try to put everything into perspective in light of your response. I am trying to purchase my first dashcam and needed to understand the wifi thing first. Thanks and thanks again and again!!

Basic wifi to do settings and DL a file to the phone are almost standard in dashcams today, but DL speeds are moderate so it will take a long time to DL all of your full memory card to your phone if you would want that.
Many people think they need to save everything, but that is not needed, you only need to save anything if you have a event, in that case if it is big you can just pull the memory card from the camera as you will not be driving more in that broken car, if it is a small thing maybe not a crash just something interesting or funny i recommend use of the manual event button on the camera to save that moment.
With a sufficient large memory card ( at least 64GB for each camera in the system ) you have many hours of driving before the camera get around to overwrite that file, so locking a file are only really necessary for making it more easy to find, or if you are on a very long drive.
As i recall for a 1080p resolution dashcam you have around 8 hours of recording on a 64GB memory card ( 1 camera setup ) so if you want the same 8 hours with a 2 channel system you will need a 128 GB memory card.

Shooting for a 128 GB card for each camera would be the smartest thing to do, but if money are tight you can make do with 64GB though it is a bit small if you go for a 2 channel system.
Theoretically a larger memory card should last longer than the same card in a smaller size, as the lifespan of memory cards are defined in full write cycles, and in that case it take longer to fill a larger card and so it should last longer.

I also recommend today that you go for a memory card with warranty for use in dashcams, these are no longer insane expensive so well worth it as any memory card can go bad horrible quick if you are unlucky.
Also buy these from a known trusted source and not some garage internet shop in China.

Basic wifi to do settings and DL a file to the phone are almost standard in dashcams today, but DL speeds are moderate so it will take a long time to DL all of your full memory card to your phone if you would want that.
Many people think they need to save everything, but that is not needed, you only need to save anything if you have a event, in that case if it is big you can just pull the memory card from the camera as you will not be driving more in that broken car, if it is a small thing maybe not a crash just something interesting or funny i recommend use of the manual event button on the camera to save that moment.
With a sufficient large memory card ( at least 64GB for each camera in the system ) you have many hours of driving before the camera get around to overwrite that file, so locking a file are only really necessary for making it more easy to find, or if you are on a very long drive.
As i recall for a 1080p resolution dashcam you have around 8 hours of recording on a 64GB memory card ( 1 camera setup ) so if you want the same 8 hours with a 2 channel system you will need a 128 GB memory card.

Shooting for a 128 GB card for each camera would be the smartest thing to do, but if money are tight you can make do with 64GB though it is a bit small if you go for a 2 channel system.
Theoretically a larger memory card should last longer than the same card in a smaller size, as the lifespan of memory cards are defined in full write cycles, and in that case it take longer to fill a larger card and so it should last longer.

I also recommend today that you go for a memory card with warranty for use in dashcams, these are no longer insane expensive so well worth it as any memory card can go bad horrible quick if you are unlucky.
Also buy these from a known trusted source and not some garage internet shop in China.
Thanks kamkar -- again you hit it right on! Had never thought there was a link between SD cards and dash cams, as I thought all SD cards were equally good for all dash cams. Guess my assumption was not correct, and I WILL be sure to observe your recommendation when making my purchase. One good thing is, if I purchase from amazon I have until January 31, 2021, to play with the dash cam, battery bank, ect., and return it if it doesn't fill my expectations. Once again I am very thankful for your sharing your thoughts on this. I now have a much clearer picture of what wifi means in the context of dash cams. Happy Holidays!!!

Last edited:
Back