What happens if you use a slow micro SD card?

klatch

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v2, A119S, A118C
I'm wondering what happens if you use a micro SD card that doesn't meet the requirements of the camera. I have been using a class 4 card on an A118C (while waiting for the new card to come) and it seems to be working fine, though I did have one file be unreadable/corrupt when I unplugged the camera yesterday - not sure if that could be the card not finishing the write fast enough before the capacitors drained or what. Is it a binary work/not-work or does it sort of work with a lower bitrate being written, potential files being corrupted, or what?

Under spec memory cards, in my experience, cause erratic recording (cam switches on and off) or the cam shuts down and doesn't restart. Class 4 cards will often work with low and mid-spec cams but not with higher spec cams. The memory card class system is not entirely helpful for dashcams because the classification test is performed under different conditions to how a dashcam writes and reads the card.

Not saving the last file is usually a fault with the camera's internal battery (or capacitor in your case). If the cam can't properly save the last file when the power is disconnected, you may have no evidence when your car cuts power in an accident.

Under spec memory cards, in my experience, cause erratic recording (cam switches on and off) or the cam shuts down and doesn't restart
This. I have had some cameras display a low card speed warning on screen and not record. This has also happened with
Class 10 SanDisk cards in some cameras.

Back