What has been your best dash cam to date?

REyewitness

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
GT200W, GT680W, GT550WS, G1W-C, K6000, SJ4000
Thought it would be a interesting topic "Best dash cam you have owned to date"?

I'm not talking about the most expensive model you purchased.. rather the one that sticks out in your mind as being the best value and longest lasting or least problems.

I will start it off...

Shadow GT300w... reason: initial wow factor! Screen and image quality was something we never had before, new wdr. Big plus never had any issues with it.

Model:VicoVation TF2+ Premium
Reasons:Extremely good quality in poor lighting conditions before the latest firmware update
Well built and handles temperature
Emergency Record Button
Audio mute button

It would be my GT300W if it had been more reliable to begin with, but I would have to say all things considered so far it's the Mobius. Great bang for the buck, multiple uses and ongoing FW support. But yeah, the GT300W did break new ground in 2013 with image quality vs price.
Can't wait to see what 2014 brings with A7L-A dual cams, remote DVR etc. We are just getting started. :)

Last edited:
My first DashCam was supposed to be a GS5000, I was sent a fake one (RS2) Major problems with it.
I just got a Finevu CR500-HD w/GPS. It has been working great.

I did get a 64GB Sandisk microSD card formatted to FAT32 and it is working well in the Finevu.

Malodave

Itronics ITB-100HD, but because of wireless feature, I like more the Itronics-250HD even it is just 720p. Never failed any of them, not a single minute of recording missed.

enjoy,
Mtz

CheckYourLights - I am about to order this camera and I am wondering if you are suggesting that the firmware update actually made things worse in your experience?

My pick would be in the price range 80-100 usd: GT680W due to its small form factor and extra options.

Last edited by a moderator:
CheckYourLights - I am about to order this camera and I am wondering if you are suggesting that the firmware update actually made things worse in your experience?

In my specific case where I had used my TF2 running all night parked only with a streetlight in the camera's view yes.

The previous firmware that featured user selectable WDR strength for both day and night with Vico Seclude to swap the two settings automatically based on time provided better extremely low light results.

The newest firmware deletes the Vico Seclude and I believe WDR menu completely. It claims to automatically apply WDR but looks worse then before

However during the day time and normal night time driving the camera is great and I would definitely recommend it.

I'm hoping Vico reintroduces the deleted settings and retains the higher bit rate quality setting that you get in the new firmware.

Thought it would be a interesting topic "Best dash cam you have owned to date"?

Both of the dashcams (see left) I've bought have been good so far. HOWEVER, I am increasingly annoyed by the poor mounting options we're given -- especially because I have the GoPro Hero system to compare them to.

So: my advice would be ANY 1080p dashcam that offers a suction cup -and- locking ball mounting solution. Everything else has to be stuck on the central axis of your car, else it's stuck on the side or corner of the windshield at a bad angle.

And I would advise buyers to look closely at any camera that has an ability to link to GoPro attachments, as well. I don't mean to be a bigot about this, because there's a lot I don't like with the GoPro "sports camera" design philosophy. But face it, the standard cam mount you're getting (with draped wires) is going to make your car look like Joe The Taxi.

Thanks for that info, CheckYourLights, I think I will get one without the firmware update if that's the case.

@REyewitness
@ your "Best dash cam you have owned to date"?
You have to specify what is criteria of best dash cam. You added GT300W which is in price range of ca. 100 usd +/-
Do "we" have to follow same price-path, or ... ?
There are best dashcam I have in economy range, in mid-price range, in high-end, etc.
You have to be more clear.
Hope you know what I mean.

@REyewitness
@ your "Best dash cam you have owned to date"?
You have to specify what is criteria of best dash cam. You added GT300W which is in price range of ca. 100 usd +/-
Do "we" have to follow same price-path, or ... ?
There are best dashcam I have in economy range, in mid-price range, in high-end, etc.
You have to be more clear.
Hope you know what I mean.

Its just whatever dash cam sticks out in your mind... Price has no bearing. For example maybe the first cam you owned was a K6000 and you had no issues and price was cheap, you might pick it over a more expensive one that gives the odd problem.

Ok, now I see what do you mean.
For me I put best dash cams into 3 price-ranges:

Low: Mobius B lens ( v0.57 )
Mid: Shadow GT680W
High: Panorama II ( Powerucc )

Both of the dashcams (see left) I've bought have been good so far. HOWEVER, I am increasingly annoyed by the poor mounting options we're given -- especially because I have the GoPro Hero system to compare them to.

So: my advice would be ANY 1080p dashcam that offers a suction cup -and- locking ball mounting solution. Everything else has to be stuck on the central axis of your car, else it's stuck on the side or corner of the windshield at a bad angle.

And I would advise buyers to look closely at any camera that has an ability to link to GoPro attachments, as well. I don't mean to be a bigot about this, because there's a lot I don't like with the GoPro "sports camera" design philosophy. But face it, the standard cam mount you're getting (with draped wires) is going to make your car look like Joe The Taxi.
I agree, mounts could be improved... :)

So: my advice would be ANY 1080p dashcam that offers a suction cup -and- locking ball mounting solution.
I agree with you on the locking ball. I've used SIV H7 camera for a couple of years. It's locking ball mount is so small, plain and yet works so well. Then you have designs like this and (even more clumpsy designs, I've seen 3 axis also).

I like Bulls I dash cam car camera .

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit more than a year has passed. Can anyone else add more information here?

A bit more than a year has passed. Can anyone else add more information here?
I have been using different ones for awhile and I would have to say
Low: Innovv C3 (Novatek 96650)
Mid: Mini 0806 (Ambarella A7LA50+OV4689) *My current personal favorite. I love the 0806.
High: Vicovation Marcus 3/4. For the build quality and menu layout along with great video

Panorama II/S/G
It's a true work horse, and love the pre-buffered motion detection.
I was really impressed when the engineers added native exFAT formating support to the firmware late 2014. Sticking a 256GB/512GB SD card into a DashCam is awesome.
Innovations/Improvements are non-stop (IMX122 was replaced with the new IMX322 for 2015 models for example)
When Street Guardian took over all G operations, you know it's good.

Back