What I want doesn't seem to exist yet

BradJohnson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I drive for Uber and Lyft.

I have a Vantrue which records front and interior to the SD card, does that well.

What I want is for something to do that, but also connect to my cell and continuously upload to the cloud. It only needs to be maybe a few hours, which can auto overwrite, no problem.

This way, if I get mugged or carjacked, and get my phone, dashcam, and car stolen, the video is already archived. I don't want just mere "events".

Anybody have any info on such a contraption?

My Vantrue uses less than 1 megabyte per minute for each facing side. I have unlimited data through Verizon which provides upload speeds of 2-5 mbps (megabits per second), which equates to 15-37.5 megaBytes per minute. Plenty.

Yep 3:01 of video is 227,107 KB.

Okay F me... that equals 227 MB you're right.

Last edited:
You need a MegaByte per second before 1080 video is of reasonable quality, even with the latest compression technology which your camera doesn't have.

Bit over 70mb per minute, not practical to be uploading that constantly
That should be 70MB, 600 Mb.

Just put a second cam up in the interior, hidden, if you are worried about the cam being stolen after being robbed, raped, murdered, etc.

I was more thinking about carjacking which is a thing here in New Orleans. Maybe a tiny video like 320x180 at 1 frame/sec, with crappy audio would be better than nothing.

At least we're allowed to carry guns in our car without a permit here... maybe that's my best option.

I was more thinking about carjacking which is a thing here in New Orleans. Maybe a tiny video like 320x180 at 1 frame/sec, with crappy audio would be better than nothing.

At least we're allowed to carry guns in our car without a permit here... maybe that's my best option.
How is a tiny video going to prevent a car jacking? Or get the car back?

Fit a hidden GPS tracker and you or the cops can follow and retrieve it.

And your gun is going to violate your Uber contract resulting in a ban if they find out, might also get you killed if you try to use it!

Thanks Nigel.

Not so much about prevention but I thought it might at least get a pic of their face and recording of their voice... ?

Didn't realize Uber/Lyft had rules about firearms but quickly googled that.

I guess I just have to accept the risks. :-/

Just get some C4 and a remote detonator, you may still have to replace the car but at least they wont trouble anyone else and you wont put yourself at risk by producing a gun in front of people who are expecting to have to defend themselves!

Or if you want the car back, just a smoke bomb instead of the C4, then you will also be able to retrieve your recorded video of their faces.

Now you're talking! I bet I could rig up a hidden tear gas canister with a hidden detonator in my shoe!

Now you're talking! I bet I could rig up a hidden tear gas canister with a hidden detonator in my shoe!
You want something that will put them in hospital, with tear gas they wont get caught!

Zyklon B?

(Sorry that's a very insensitive joke, no disrespect to anybody intended)

They do make pepper spray with a dye in it which is hard to remove, but that might be against your contract and illegal too. Probably legal both ways is a can of Carb cleaner(ostensibly bought for your lawnmower)- burns sensitive facial skin somewhat and makes your eyes close and burn if it gets in there and is highly flammable when wet. When I lived in Augusta Ga long ago, carjacking was a new game. Back then their gun laws allowed plain-view unlicensed carry in a car, so when you were stopped at a red light and a druggie came along wandering through the stopped cars looking for a target you just made and held eye contact then reached your hand down to the seat beside you as they watched, even if you had no gun. That was always enough to steer them away toward someone else.

I've lived most of my life in poor areas where crime was a constant problem (and I still do). The key to avoiding that trouble is to not look like a good target, and to always watch the situation around you. If possible, get near a much better target as they will go there instead. Never look vulnerable, and never expose wealth or valuables. If you can afford it, get a small no-contract pre-paid phone and stash it on your person so that if they take your primary phone, you can still call for help and possibly get their pic too. Or use that for your business (tax-deductible!) and stash your main phone. Prevention and preparation to deal with a problem usually keeps that problem at bay or at least minimizes it's effect.

What do you think of the Vantrue and which model do you have? I just got the N2 Pro for review, but haven't checked footage from it yet.

Phil

just put a pedal switch which disconnects ignition after 30 seconds or more...as you are forced to leave the vehicle you press the switch with your foot and engine will stop running after a certain amount of time.

Some car alarms have a fob-activated panic botton which activates the siren and disabes the car, but most people keep the fob on their keyring rendering it rather useless for this purpose. I keep a second set of keys on my person to deal with lock-outs and so that I can leave the vehicle running and still access any door from the outside at the same time. That would make a good place for such a fob. The thing is that the range is limited, and you would need to be safe where you were when you set it off, or they might come back and do worse to you than just take your possessions :eek:

A hidden GPS tracker is probably the best post-event option but all those I have found are subscription services and those fees are too onerous for me :( Best to avoid problems when you can, although that isn't always possible.

Phil

A hidden GPS tracker is probably the best post-event option but all those I have found are subscription services and those fees are too onerous for me :( Best to avoid problems when you can, although that isn't always possible.

Phil
I haven't looked at car ones for ages, but the ones for drones are only $5 per month, with communication via mobile/email, presumably they could be used for cars.

I haven't looked at car ones for ages, but the ones for drones are only $5 per month, with communication via mobile/email, presumably they could be used for cars.
there are also gps service provided by car insurance, you pay less (depending on your yearly mileage of course)

Back