What is the basics of setting up the GPS unit?

Where is it mounted? How far away from the camera?

Any other...
It may be a bit closer than ideal, you could try relocating it further apart and see how it goes

So I moved the gps antenna to the top left of the window now (cord is running to the right). Done one trip to the shops and back with odd results.

The trip to the shops has another 6 minute gap before it gets gps, perhaps there is no coverage or weird interference just where I live which would be very unlikely.

On the trip back home I managed to check the gps icon and it was green. This is where it gets weird. So I checked the recorded footage and to my surprise the second I turned the screen on, to check the gps icon, is when the gps started showing data.
Of note is that I turned the screen on 30 seconds after exiting the shop undercover parking lot and the car had been on for 3 minutes.

I am very confused now. I may need to drive a bit more to test some things but this is some unexpected behaviour from the gps side of things.

Have a look at the owners manual for your vehicle and see if any mention is made of suggested locations for GPS devices, some vehicles with athermic windscreens will have a particular section that is untreated so as not to inhibit signal

It could of course be a fault with the GPS which is no problem to have replaced for you if that's the case but best to just go through and check the basics first

A little update after some more driving it appears that the gps unit works as intended in all situations except coming out of my garage. For example connects instantly when the car is started at an outside parking area and takes at most 1-2 minutes coming from an undercover cold start which is an expected delay.

The only situation that confuses me is the occasional 6 minutes to connect from my garage but luckily I am seeing it connect within 1 minute more often now. Other than that I am happy with the dashcam and the gps appears to be working as intended.

Thank you all for the troubleshooting assistance. I will be back if I need help in the future.

Side note for anyone in the future, the online manual has more information on gps installation, and pretty much everything else, compared to the manual that came in my box.

Side note for anyone in the future, the online manual has more information on gps installation, and pretty much everything else, compared to the manual that came in my box.

the printed guide is pretty basic out of necessity, we've updated a lot of things that pretty quickly end up out of date in a printed version

the printed guide is pretty basic out of necessity, we've updated a lot of things that pretty quickly end up out of date in a printed version
Yep, that is understandable. I just saw now that the book in the box is a quick start guide and not a manual, but then I also noted that the quickstart was printed in 2015. As I purchased V3 of the product maybe those notes from the manual should have been included?

I do admit in this troubleshooting situation that this is user error on my part because I only read the manuals regarding the Registrator Viewer setup when I was troubleshooting getting the gps data to show up so I completely missed the main manual. I am sure I would have still come here for help in any case and there is information in this thread that is not in the manual such as expected delay times for connections in the different situations which has helped me test and come to a conclusion for now.

I have short cable version from Amazon UK but no sticker saying this is preflipped version. Is this preflipped version?

I have short cable version from Amazon UK but no sticker saying this is preflipped version. Is this preflipped version?

yes, if it's short cable it is window mount, if it is long cable it is dash mount

all are supplied with short cable window mount unless someone specifically requests the long cable dash mount version

Great, I am just hardwiring this unit and mounting GPS. I have been put into a question whether it's flipped or not. Thanks for prompt reply!!

Back