What is the basics of setting up the GPS unit?

90% of the stock on Amazon.com has the new short cable. If you get a long one let me know and I'll send you the short one.

The new Magento 2.0 advanced web site is in development. StreetGuardianUSA URL is supposed to redirect to streetguardian.ecrater.com in the short term but there is Verisign DNS problem preventing the redirect. (Should be fixed after the weekend)

My GPS unit had a sticker that says "Note: This GPS is the window mount type".

I found this picture in the manual I downloaded. Shows cable coming out the side.

View attachment 26359

I just went out to my car to take a closer look. I see now that the words "GPS" are stamped on the case. So to have the GPS letters facing 'upright", I need to have the cable coming in from the bottom (not the side as shown in the picture above).
My cable is not long enough to get to the lower right corner (like in your picture).

If it works okay in the upper right corner, that's where I plan to install it. But I would rather have the cable coming in from top (cleaner look) so I may need to "flip it". I'll know more tomorrow when I road test.

Thanks.

Here is what the SGGPSWM (short pre-flipped Window Mount edition GPS) looks like in my Ford Explorer.

IMG_0059.JPG

you got an explorer now hey? wheres the mustang?

you got an explorer now hey? wheres the mustang?

You asked in both GPS threads so I'll reply twice :)

When I separated from Pier28 to form Street Guardian USA I bought out the Explorer Sport lease as my new full time vehicle. Both Mustang Boss and Explorer Sport were a company lease we all shared and swapped as needed.

Now I just drive the Explorer full time. I love it. Twin turbo and all wheel drive for the Sierra winter. (Studded snow tire time soon)

7f0f4ef442ef741ff920f0592be845b6.jpg

Is there a picture of the display showing the icons and what they mean? The display is very tiny for these old eyes. I especially am looking for the GPS icon to check my install.

Is there a picture of the display showing the icons and what they mean? The display is very tiny for these old eyes. I especially am looking for the GPS icon to check my install.

GPS icon looks like wifi signal bars, if it's not plugged in it will give a message to say no GPS, if it's connected but no signal it will show red signal bars, green signal bars when it has signal, nothing is shown if GPS is turned off in the settings menu

How long should it typically take to acquire the GPS signal lock?

Last edited:
You in general have 2 factors
1. cold boot
2. warm boot

A cold boot with the SG9665GC should be within a minute at most, and a warm boot after you stopped for a little shopping should be seconds.

How long should it typically take to acquire the GPS signal lock?

first time will take longer, will also take longer if the camera is undercover when you start up, weather can sometimes impact performance, as can terrain, tall buildings etc

a few seconds in some cases through to a few minutes, if your vehicle has an athermic windscreen or metallic based tint treatment than can impact performance also

Just got an X3 this April from Amazon.
There is no 'This GPS is the Window Mount Type' note in the GPS bag.
Does that mean it is not pre-flipped?

Just got an X3 this April from Amazon.
There is no 'This GPS is the Window Mount Type' note in the GPS bag.
Does that mean it is not pre-flipped?

We had a large batch that didn't include the paper in the GPS bag from the GPS factory but you can rest assured that ALL V3 units come with a short cable that is pre-flipped for easy window mounting.

Cold boot GPS lock can take more than a minute in some instances

Can you confirm how long this should take. I recently got the SG9665GC V3 and I am experiencing in some cases more than 6 minutes before I get any gps data and in other cases not seeing any gps data at all for a trip.

Here is an image of the timeline for my 6 minute example:
Timeline Datakam Player [Google Drive]

Where is it mounted? How far away from the camera?

Any other cameras or aftermarket electronics nearby?

Where do you live? (Any mountains/trees/buildings)

Once it does lock-on with the green symbol, if you power cycle the camera does it lock again quickly after that?

Where is it mounted? How far away from the camera?

Any other...

It is mounted on the window to the right of the rear view mirror (Logo facing down, cord facing up). Dashcam is on the left of the mirror. Is that too close?

No other electronics.

Live in an urban environment, however, seeing the footage there is little obstruction especially when driving for those 6 minutes.

Have not tested this situation completely. I wanted confirmation because my current tests have been from undercover starts for a few seconds such as my garage following with roughly 30mins of driving. Only have one of those trips where it got gps just after one minute. Other shorter trips for example 4-5 minutes on the roads show no gps data.

It may be a bit closer than ideal, you could try relocating it further apart and see how it goes

Back