What percentage of drivers in the U.S. use dash cams?

T

twoscoops

(excluding law enforcement or commercial drivers, of
course)

Based on the sales history listed on eBay, AliExpress, and
other websites, I'm going to guess maybe less than 0.1 percent?
(1 in 1000.... or is that too high?)

I agree with jokiin, the number is still VERY low, even lower than 1 out of 1,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say still rather low. Between the fact that most people here would not want their driving habits on video and that there is no DashCam backed by a popular trendy brand here for people to buy.

If Apple made a DashCam and called it the IdriveSafe there would be one in every third car on the road.

There are about 75 people in my Youtube List in USA and Canada that i have found that post videos. and i might make a guess to say maybe there might be a few on YouTube i have missed. I'd i'd also say there might be a little more then that that have dashcams but do not post video.

I go to A LOT of car shows. Sometimes three or more each week and people come from all over to show off cars they have spent from just around 10 thousand on to Corvettes and Vipers that cost over one hundred thousand dollars to buy and modify (ZR1/SRT). Out of all these car shows i have been to since i was a kid forever ago i met one gentleman more recently that had what i think was a knock off of a DVR-027 mounted in his car. (He told me he thought the video time stamp was red.) I also have only ever had one person ask what my camera was while i was at a car show, and after i told them they asked what would you need that for?

Driving a nicer car on the weekends there are younger guys who get up next to me and try to act bad ass and show off. I'm not into all that. It is nice to know that i have the power under my foot if i want it, but being a responsible safe driver always comes first. Just because I drive a nice unique car that can go fast does not mean i zip everywhere i go.

I have also gotten people who have stopped at a stop sign at an intersection where I don't have a stop sign and they do. They stop. Look at me wait until i get a little closer and pull out right in front of me. So i strongly believe everyone should have a camera in there car and let it run as much as possible. Even more so if you are into cars and have a nicer one then other drivers then a DashCam is a must to protect yourself and your car.

Last edited:
I am kind of disappointed that this is just not popular in the USA. It's almost like a chicken and egg problem. People don't buy it because it's not marketed in the US, but no one markets it because people just don't buy them. :confused:

I am kind of disappointed that this is just not popular in the USA. It's almost like a chicken and egg problem. People don't buy it because it's not marketed in the US, but no one markets it because people just don't buy them. :confused:

a big brand doing them would no doubt raise the profile of the product, consumer awareness of car DVR's is not high in most markets

yes, very few around me. Even though some of them are using GoPro

yes, very few around me. Even though some of them are using GoPro

I think GoPro have the hoon market sewn up, that's not really the dashcam consumer that wants to protect their rights, the GoPro user is generally looking for bragging rights

Out of my city of 10,ooo+ people, I've only seen one other person with a dashcam. He mounted it right in the middle of the windshield and mounted it straight (K2000). top lel

Out of my city of 10,ooo+ people, I've only seen one other person with a dashcam. He mounted it right in the middle of the windshield and mounted it straight (K2000). top lel

that's double what I would have expected, I'd guess about 1 in 10,000 at the moment

It would be nice if a model of the dashcam had a remote camera that could be attached to the windshield, with the actual dvr located in another location (glovebox, etc). That way it could be mounted in a convertible, without concern of theft.

That way it could be mounted in a convertible, without concern of theft
Or a T-Top/Glass Roof car. You can't really hide wires with a drop top down or T-Top off.

Back