What size of MicroSD cards do most people use in their 1080p dash cams? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB?

What size of MicroSD cards do most people use in their 1080p dash cams?

• 4GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8GB

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 16GB

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 32GB

Votes: 30 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If not using premium dashcams try to use Class 6 no matter of size.

enjoy,
Mtz

Why do we need more time than that? Am I missing something here?

I personally use 32GB because i leave my camera on as often as possible. Weather i am just parked up at the store or my car is parked up over night. I know my Vico holds about 7.5 hours or so. So when i wake up if something has happened to my car or the cars i am behind unless it was earlier in the evening i have a better shot of having it caught on video if i don't hear anything over night.

Also it lets me not have to worry about clearing my event folder for a few days and still having plenty of room in my loop recording folder.

Now that i think of it. I use 32GB in everything and this gives my Vico 15 Event Button presses before it over writes the oldest event. I wonder if using a smaller sized card would give less then 15 presses or just have less space for everyday loop recording.

Any 64GB cards that work in these cameras are more good luck than good management, realistically if the camera can't format the card then there's a higher risk that it will let you down when you need it most

im sorry....but each singel dash cam that is in this forum has to be tested for reliability first before you can trust it, each single peace you receive....whther it is fake, whether it is already defective, whether it is reliable....the same goes for the flash cards, them not working in any device is known since thy exist...
and after that testing by the user is passed, i cant see how a card that always worked fine will suddenly stop working in the crucial moment

it is really nood good luck, the "hardware" controllers just can handle these bigger cards, they dont produce nowadays extra old ones and new ones for sdxc....it is the same piece....
that phenomenom is not only in the dash cam world, also tablets and handys and whatever devices that are not supposed to handle the 64gb cards, do it anyway, the internet is full with guides for this.... and probably millions users use them already on devices that arent supposed to be able to handle them regarding manufacturer of these devices
just because you cant run a firmware routine to format the card that is not supported, doesnt mean anything

most of these dash cams are simply fiddled together....with parts that would amaze most of us both positivly and negativly
the quality testing is also...

well...you can probably understand what im trying to say....there are many factors, to think it will be unreliable through that card is ....well... unreasonable.... maybe it will be a "little more" unreliable as it is normaly

as the best example for my point...you cant format 64gb sdxc cards with windows 7 to fat32!
but that does not indicate that windows 7 doesnt support them.... you just have to use other tools and everything wors fine ;)

you obviously missed my point, if there is no SDXC support in the chipset but formatting it in Windows using a 3rd party tool allows them to work then that comes down to luck, plenty of instances of cameras without known card issues with SDHC cards working for a time with SDXC cards then having trouble some weeks down the track, if you can't format the card inside the player then it's not a supported card, there's no third party tool you can put on the DVR that can format the card for you to make it workable, having it fail while recording makes the whole device useless

i dont think i missed it though
although you have manufacturer specs, you dont really know whether it supports it or not....until you try....
that goes not only for 64gb sdxc but also for the normal sdhc....you have to try it to see whether it works or not... thats all...always

to be able formatting with the device or not has nothing to do with it, while reading and writing on card is mostly hardware dependent (thats also the cause why it works although it isnt supposed by firmware or manufacturer, because theyre not implementing any cheks for what card and ist it possble...is it supported etc......they just write and read!) but formating is firmware dependent

....you have always to try to see whether it works or not... for any card.....thats all, for sdhc/sdxc its not diffent in that point
any card may work or may not....any card may fail at any time....

im just saying it is not more unreliable once you checked if its working or not, this you have in any way to do

unfortunately these products are not just plugin any sdhc card and it works....although most specified cards do indeed work

i dont think i missed it though
although you have manufacturer specs, you dont really know whether it supports it or not....until you try....
that goes not only for 64gb sdxc but also for the normal sdhc....you have to try it to see whether it works or not... thats all...always

no actually I do know what works in my cameras, we build them to a spec, not a price

some other camera, who knows

Can you add 64gb as well to have whole potential range of Memory Cards sizes for more accurate research.
Agree

Good point, but as you see, my very first post was 64Gb. I totally aware what is byte and bit. The last one was just typo using smart phone on the go, and also if you follow thread point ( 4,8,16,32 Gb memory cards topic ), then it should be logical and clear that I meant 64Gb. ;)
Nice talk. While some of Dash Cam just available for the biggest size of 32GB.

I'm using a Patriot 128GB class 10 in a Lukas 7900.

I'm using a Patriot 128GB class 10 in a Lukas 7900.

Thats why I have mentioned many times to add 64Gb and now I agree with you, need to add 128Gb as well for more fair survey.

16 is plenty. I usually use 4 or 8. (though 4 might be cutting it a little close depending on bitrate)

If something happens, that leaves more than enough time to stop recording and/or pull the footage off.

Its not an action cam , there is not much point to have hours and hours of uneventful footage on your card. In fact, if the police seize the card as evidence in an accident, there could be something on your card that they could use against you.

32Gb is too small for my 2ch Urive Albatross II. Front 1080p, rear 720p, 20fps. + parking / motion detection when going shopping. I feel need at least 64Gb.

16 is plenty. I usually use 4 or 8. (though 4 might be cutting it a little close depending on bitrate)

If something happens, that leaves more than enough time to stop recording and/or pull the footage off.

Its not an action cam , there is not much point to have hours and hours of uneventful footage on your card. In fact, if the police seize the card as evidence in an accident, there could be something on your card that they could use against you.

On the other hand the police might be saying "You're being charged with ... because this guy signed a statement saying you ran this red light yesterday morning causing him to crash into the gas station which resulted in the entire block being blown up". or maybe identifying the neighbor kid from 2 blocks down as the one who egged your car while driving by. I got the camera, a bit more for some history makes it a lot more versatile.

multi selectin would be nice too, since some have more than one cam and use different card size

I'm surprised more DashCams don't use full sized SD cards since they have a longer life span. (more read/write cycles)

I'm surprised more DashCams don't use full sized SD cards since they have a longer life span. (more read/write cycles)

That promotional video for the Germid Mirror Cam makes worrying claims about the short lifespan of Micro SD Cards. Makes it sound like they have to be treated as consumables, & need replacing every few months?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to spoil the 100% 32GB Poll result with my 16GB vote. I also keep a spare card in the car. If involved in an 'incident', I would remove the card that contained the evidence, & insert the spare card.
Good idea, I thought 32gb was adequate, but a spare is probably safer.

That promotional video for the Germid Mirror Cam makes worrying claims about the short lifespan of Micro SD Cards. Makes it sound like they have to be treated as consumables, & need replacing every few months?

I don't think there's any science behind that claim, they are certainly easier to handle though, one thing if you have a camera that uses regular SD cards don't use a MicroSD in an adapter, the adapters themselves aren't built for high temperatures

Back