What video editing software is everyone using?

packrat1969

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been watching dashcam videos on YouTube and I see that some video posters have enhanced their videos with features like zooming in on a section of the screen, adding arrows, circles, and captions, or even slowing the video down. What software is being used to do this? I would like do more than just "cuts-only" editing.

I dont do advances stuff like that for my uploads, but i use power director ( #19 just come out )
Another equally advanced piece of software is davinci resolve, and it is completely free, but it is with a learning curve 4 sure, then again they all have that, but having been used to pinnacle studio and power director i was able to DL it and load up a clip and trim it to size and add color correction, all without looking at any tutorial for the software on youtube.

you will find tutorials for most editing software on youtube, and also reviews like the best video editors of 2020 ASO
There is also a range of other free video editors, and this dont have to mean they are only able to do the most simple things, but i am not into those.

New to the editing game myself ;) but I'm soon to try "Open Shot" which seems to be the only freeware that doesn't want control of my Drive account and my files :mad:

Any freeware is probably going to be rather basic but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'm willing to spend a little but not "pro grade" prices.

Phil

Any freeware is probably going to be rather basic
If you want to do more than the basics then VSDC is a good option, and I don't think there are any problems with installing it.

I dont do advances stuff like that for my uploads, but i use power director ( #19 just come out )
Another equally advanced piece of software is davinci resolve, and it is completely free, but it is with a learning curve 4 sure, then again they all have that, but having been used to pinnacle studio and power director i was able to DL it and load up a clip and trim it to size and add color correction, all without looking at any tutorial for the software on youtube.

you will find tutorials for most editing software on youtube, and also reviews like the best video editors of 2020 ASO
There is also a range of other free video editors, and this dont have to mean they are only able to do the most simple things, but i am not into those.

I wanted to use Davinci Resolve but am disappointed to find that Davinci Resolve would crash every time I tried to import mp4 files recorded from Blackvue.

It seems to be a known issue with Davinci Resolve and mp4. I would rather not needing to transcode from mp4 to another format using another software.

I think the one file i have tried in resolve was mp4 too, but 4K/60 - 100 mbit from my dji osmo action camera.
Too bad Blackvue ( again ) cause problems for a owner, i guess your only option are to try something else.

I wanted to use Davinci Resolve but
VSDC is very similar in how it works and what it can do, but is somewhat simpler and probably a better choice for most people.

VSDC is very similar in how it works and what it can do, but is somewhat simpler and probably a better choice for most people.

Some of us NEED simpler :whistle: I think I'm first in line for that :LOL:

Phil

Some of us NEED simpler :whistle: I think I'm first in line for that :LOL:

Phil
It is still not exactly simple to get started, but there are quite a lot of Youtube training videos showing how to get started with VSDC, and once you are over the initial hurdle of how to join two video segments together, then it can do far more than the more basic editors ;)

Great info! Thanks for all the replies. Now I have some research to do....:rolleyes:

Depends what level you want, I use a program called Filmora by wondershare and it is really good for my content creation unrelated to dashcam’s.

I mean anything simple if you just want basic features even something like movie maker which I think is free and can give you transitions and basic editing but it is very limited however for simply editing dashcam footage I can’t image you’d need much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think movie maker are gone now, but there is a new "hidden" video editor in windows 10 now.

But i dont think it have the options OP are looking for too.

Movie Maker is in W8, but it only saves the files in some weird format which none of the usual freeware can play or work with., Typical MS approach :mad:

Phil

My friend manages to make very cool videos and crop them using an app on her phone. I can't work with editing on my phone. Since I was a teenager, I've been making film cuts and clips for school and classmates only on my computer. My father installed a basic Windows video editor for me as a child. Later I switched to Movavi video editor. I still use this program. See what a large assortment of effects and subtitles it has https://www.movavi.com/videoeditor/. Since my first download, this program has changed a lot and has become the coolest video editor for my colleagues and me. Try to mount at least one video in this, and you will understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I would never use my phone for such things, but i am aware billions of people would do that just fine.

Hi
I am surprise that no one mention the few practical features that IMO, needed for a dash-cam viewer for a typical mp4, 264,265 format:
1. Read license plate ( or enhancement feature to read a blurry one).
2. Read people face ( and enhancement).

I do have access to PS Element, but whether that is overkill for the job !

:)

Hi
I am surprise that no one mention the few practical features that IMO, needed for a dash-cam viewer for a typical mp4, 264,265 format:
1. Read license plate ( or enhancement feature to read a blurry one).
2. Read people face ( and enhancement).

I do have access to PS Element, but whether that is overkill for the job !

:)

I'm interested in any program that can improve license plates.
If I zoom in the image just gets pixelated.
There must be some AI software that can recreate and improve the image.

I reckon no matter how good your dashcam there will always be a number plate that is hard to read, it's called Murphys Law

I use Vegas Pro when it's not crashing and on my Iphone VN which is currently free and awesome.
Vegas also cost money and wants your first born.

I'm interested in any program that can improve license plates.
If I zoom in the image just gets pixelated.
There must be some AI software that can recreate and improve the image.
Unfortunately, this needs to be in the camera before the video is compressed. The compression algorithm works by deleting detail that it thinks the user won't notice. Unfortunately that is often license plate numbers. Often there are enough pixels for a readable plate, but the numbers have just been deleted by the compression algorithm. The algorithm needs to recognize plates and preserve the detail in the plates.
An algorithm needs to be developed that recognizes text and preserves the text in the video. This could even be done in such a way that reduced the size of the file. Translate the recognized text to an ascii string, and record the size and 3D angle of the text. The font would be wrong, but the text would be preserved.

I knew I'd seen something like this before. This is for compressing documents where there is text over images: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ment_images_with_large_textbackground_overlap
This would need to be extended to 3D, but the basic idea is there.

Last edited:
Back