Whats up from Los Angeles!

TF1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wanting to learn more about SoCs, sensors, lenses and IMUs for action cameras!

The Internet told me that this is the forum where I can get CTO level insights from the intelligent members that make up this forum!

Lets see where this goes :)

Welcome to the forum TF1.

Well action cameras do not see a whole lot of traffic in here.
And i dont think dashcams share SOC models with action´cameras, or at least not the higher end of them.

There are folks in here with a deeper understanding of things, personally i just see myself as a dedicated user.

And i dont think dashcams share SOC models with action´cameras, or at least not the higher end of them.
They used to share, but there are not many action cameras with three recorded channels and not many dashcams with 360 degree views. Most action cameras these days seem to have propellers and 3D obstacle avoidance cameras!

Well i dont think you absolutely have to use all available channels on a " dashcam " SOC, i assume you could just use one of them and then spend all your encoding / computational powers on that.
TBH i have no idea if modern drones with obstacle avoidance cameras run all the cameras off one SOC or if its split up so the camera have its thing and the flying part have its thing, CUZ i dont see why the 2 should absolutely be tied together.

@kamkar - thanks for the insight.... I would think that most DashCams use some sort of an SoC? Maybe no Ambarella or Intel but certainty Novatek or AllWinners, among others?

@kamkar - thanks for the insight.... I would think that most DashCams use some sort of an SoC? Maybe no Ambarella or Intel but certainty Novatek or AllWinners, among others?

Many dashcams, action cams and CCTV cameras use the same exact families of SoC but they are all specifically configured for their dedicated purposes and/or provided with SDKs specific to their tasks.

Amabarerlla was once a very popular SoC for dash cams but we don't see them so much anymore.

Back