Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

While I think of it, is it really important to use the supplied charger for the Mini 0806? It's taking power from a 12V socket into a 5V USB socket, but I have a number of much smaller chargers that fit (see fourth pic of my last post here). So what does the supplied charger do that one of these others won't?

While I think of it, is it really important to use the supplied charger for the Mini 0806? It's taking power from a 12V socket into a 5V USB socket, but I have a number of much smaller chargers that fit (see fourth pic of my last post here). So what does the supplied charger do that one of these others won't?
I'm using the supplied charger. It's a bit clunky, but at least it has a nice long lead.
I made the mistake of buying a flat 3m USB cable to power my satnav though. And I've just found out it actually drains the battery during use, until eventually it shuts down! It was a crazy £15 at Maplins too! So if you use an alternative charger make sure it (or the USB cable plugged into it) doesn't have so much voltage drop that it goes wrong. I should really search this site to see if this topic is covered, but in the meantime I've ordered a few decent sounding USB cables off ebay. They haven't arrived yet, so I can't vouch for them but here's what I've ordered: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271783512999

Hey all. I figured I'd start here for my first post. I actually stalked this site while trying to pick out which dash cam to get. I ended up going with the Mobius Standard View (Some might think that's crazy talk.) I found a camera mount, much like a GoPro mount for $10 and bought a 3 pack of 3M bases for $17. Here are a couple photos:

20150806_122918_resized.jpg 20150817_145130_resized.jpg

Custom Mobius mount on back of my bike. I fabricated a license plate mount out of 1/8" Plexiglas that attaches to the rear of the plate. I've also been running one on the front of the bike for the past couple years.

mobius_s1000rr_rear3.jpg

Attachments

• mobius_s1000rr_rear_mount.jpg
    mobius_s1000rr_rear_mount.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • mobius_s1000rr_rear1.jpg
    mobius_s1000rr_rear1.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 54
  • mobius_s1000rr_rear2.jpg
    mobius_s1000rr_rear2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 54
That's pretty genius. How long have you had it installed on the back? I'm curious how it's held up, Washington gets it's fair share of rain.

Thanks. Just mounted it yesterday but it should be okay. I'm using the Mobius "Weather Cover" on it. The front mounted (unprotected) Mobius has been in operation for a while and I have not had any problems with it.

Is the front one plugged in also?

It looks like you have a cover on the back wheel, but something to consider is if you do have troubles to make the Plexiglas holder more like a case in it's self - even just adding a bottom piece to prevent water from spraying up into where the USB plugs into the back.

What would be even easier is if the weather cover was able to cover the USB connection; like a sleeve.

Yes, the front camera is plunged in and is mounted naked. As I mentioned, it's been running a coupe years trouble free.

The Mobius sleeve comes with the USB jack covered; I cut it with a scalpel to allow the jack to provide power. The only purpose of the rear lip is to keep the connector secure.

Should there be any problems, which I expect none, I'll modify the design.

Thanks for your comments.

Is the front one plugged in also?

It looks like you have a cover on the back wheel, but something to consider is if you do have troubles to make the Plexiglas holder more like a case in it's self - even just adding a bottom piece to prevent water from spraying up into where the USB plugs into the back.

What would be even easier is if the weather cover was able to cover the USB connection; like a sleeve.

Last edited:
I have two sets of SG9665GC's for my fiancée's and my car, this covers the install in my '15 Fusion (Mondeo for those of you not in the 'States). I wanted to get these pics up a couple weeks ago, but RL bit me on the ass, so I got delayed, but here we are now! Thankfully, no close calls as yet (besides a young li'l pronghorn antelope last night, the silly li'l thing!) but, well... It's only a matter of time.

I originally wanted to mount my two cams in a more stealthy manner, but due to the size of my car's rear-view mirror and attendant electronics covers (for the rain sensing, auto headlamps and lane keeping), I decided to go for making it look more stock than stealth. I think I did alright, but you guys can tell me if I'm wrong or not. I also included the wiring, 'cause I think it came out alright, considering what I had to work with.

Sorry for rambling, and on to the pics! And don't mind Ender or Punk Rock Cthulhu, they help keep a watch for the idiots out there... Or something like that, anyway! :D

Here's the install, starting with the front view:

DashCamFrontView.jpg

Here's the left and right hand views from outside of the car:

DashCamFrontLeft.jpg

DashCamFrontRight.jpg

Here's the left and right hand views of the front from the interior (yes, the sleeving around the GPS and power cable is my doing):

DashCamFrontInnerLeft.jpg

DashCamFrontInnerRight.jpg

And then here's the back, starting with a closer view towards the center, and a longer view offset to the left:

DashCamRearClose.jpg

DashCamRearLeftFar.jpg

And the inner view of the rear install. I lucked out with my GPS antennae both front and rear, both worked installed technically upside down, without having to break in and flip the antenna. :cool:

DashCamRearInner.jpg

Then there's the cabling. I used an add-a-fuse style unit, plugged into Fuse 36, and grounded to one of the bolts holding the OBD-II in place. First pic's a close up of the add-a-fuse, second's of the ground:

Add_A_FuseClose.jpg

GroundClose.jpg

And finally a longer view of the add-a-fuse, as well as the cigarette/power plug y-adapter for the included power adapters:

CablingAndAdapters.jpg

I almost ordered a pair of CPUSB01 hardwire kits, but due to the configuration (5'/1.5m to the box from the interface wires and 8'/2.5m from the box to the Mini USB plug) and the tolerances within my Fusion's A- and B-pillar cosmetic covers, it wouldn't've worked.

Well, lemme know what ya think! Fail for going for a 'stock look', or good considering what I was left with? Anyway, drive safe out there, everyone, and share your 'near hits' (as George Carlin would say!), hopefully without actual contact!

-Laters...!
kgs-wy

the front one is in great place, i would even place it a little bit back (about 2 cm) so that the lens wouldn't be in front on the sun rays. you can adjust the tilt so the camera will be pointed a little bit down and not straight ahead.
and i didn't choose that camera for the rear (too bulky and so on..).

Unfortunately, the design keeps it pretty much flat at its lowest angle downwards, however, I have a nice mix of road and sky, from checking the videos after the fact. Thanks for the input, though! :D

-Laters...!
kgs-wy

Great looking install on the front. I tried that in the back with the same results. I opted for a Mobius in the rear which worked great for me. Nice job!

I'm not a fan of how those ones look, that said I think the front one looks great! like it was made for your car and looks stock. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have even known what it was for being so new to the dash cam world. Perhaps just another device to incorporate the comforts of home into the car.

I think it's a bit bulky for the back OR maybe you just need your windows tinted. :)

k2z86o.jpg

I'm currently using a separate mount for the GPS receiver .. ( Unfortunately it looks to be a dud suction cup mount ( bad ) )

This is our installation photos on a Lexus ES350 with the Lukas LK-9750

02_zpsd0y5k0s3.jpg

01_zpsxcrfsp5t.jpg

03_zpsocuhs27b.jpg

04_zps6cgvxgnw.jpg

05_zpshr8wtg5x.jpg

07_zpsoqnt02rl.jpg

Another Installation on a BMW X6 with a Lukas LK-7950
10985887_892991594104226_296388240553177804_n_zpshkxwmqih.jpg

11220910_892991610770891_5774910319403193661_n_zpsrc6vpuwr.jpg

11692552_892991860770866_644504086531033746_n_zpsgsux2sqq.jpg

11694995_892991604104225_4200262462732633893_n_zpsbmtee7jc.jpg

11039835_856726724397380_8698004315498402469_o_zpsanks1zp5.jpg

Another Installation on a Porsche Boxter GTS with a Lukas LK-9350
11745921_912061362201017_7819091807499930295_n_zpsrgwx9qk9.jpg

11060263_912061312201022_2783292437442147206_n_zpslmy7kblx.jpg

11745671_912061352201018_34763133295508707_n_zpsd9zunq7x.jpg

11750630_912061315534355_8734422079618391841_n_zpsu2zd4buu.jpg

11541973_912061295534357_7212505386981547763_n_zpsnl5lship.jpg

11694775_912061282201025_5060617933814461611_n_zpsst3l8ntp.jpg

Another installation on a Mazda 3 with a Lukas LK-7900
03_zpseuy3exzo.jpg

05_zpsmiazq7oh.jpg

04_zps5b16zyfc.jpg

1st pic: Rear window (hatchback); Transcend DP100 on adhesive mount. Adhesive mount stays put better than suction; suction mounts won't stay in place due to the heating wire ribbing. The slack cable is required when the hatch opens. The DP100 can also be seen by the rear view mirror in the next picture.

2nd & 3 pic: Nextbase 402G (DOD LS430W) on different mount (generic) behind rear view mirror. Different mount has been used to prevent the cam hanging down so far which is an obstruction to vision. The camera died recently (probable battery failure) and has been replaced with a different camera which I'm currently monitoring for performance.
The third picture shows the enormous mirror housing which contains sensors for the car's automatic lights, wipers and mirror dimming - it makes it much more difficult to mount a dash cam near the mirror.
Also visible is a small rear-view mirror in the top corner of the windscreen for watching kids in the back seat.

4th pic: Cobra 840 with mount partially disassembled (just pop out the punch-pin holding the suction cup together) which allows the mount to be inverted and blu-tack used to attach to dashboard (could be screwed or glued if I wanted, but as dash cams seem to be short-lived I don't want to make any permanent/irreversible modification).
The camera doesn't suffer from any windscreen reflections in that location; higher mounting has progressively worse windscreen reflection. Its short power cable isn't a problem in a low-down position but for a higher-mounted camera the power cable is not long enough to be tucked around the windscreen trim.

For the rear camera, where are you drawing power from?

For the rear camera, where are you drawing power from?

The 12v power outlet is just in front of the gearstick. I have a three-way adaptor with one cam in each slot. The Transcend's cable runs immediately down to the floor and alongside the passenger seat runners. The cable then goes across the floor in the rear footwell and under the rear seat. The rear seat is 60/40 split and the cable runs in the split before emerging out the top of the split near the headrest. The slack cable sits on the parcel shelf of the hatch.
The 60/40 split rear seats are not generally folded so the cable running there isn't a problem, and the car doesn't generally carry more than two people in the back so the cable isn't disturbed by someone sitting in the middle seat (it's only a small middle seat). If I needed more space I would use our seven-seat MPV, and that has an additional 12v socket in the boot (trunk/third row pop-up seats) as well as the usual one near the gearstick. There's also a blanking plate for an optional third 12v socket behind the gearstick, for use by 2nd row passengers.

I want to install one in my hatchback, but I don't want to run more wires back up to the front. I made the mistake of running my RCA cable and not planning ahead by running a power source at the same time.

For my reverse camera I was able to tap into my reverse power. I'm hopeful I can tap into the trunks light power for the rear dash cam, but I've got to take some voltage readings.

Back