Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

The sensor cover look nice and flat on the bottom, so you could mount there , just be aware that you might have to use another dual sided tape than the one that come with the dashcam.
Personally i would be inclined to put a camera there.

I think the adhesive + heat would make it a pain to remove the camera from the plastic years later without leaving behind stains or damage.

I just mounted mine next to the plastic cover, behind the mirror.
It's not blocking the view and is within the sight regulations.

PXL_20230705_171411473.jpg

I had a side camera mounted off the trim plastic on the B pillar of my car, that came off just fine, there was a little residue but my Kent Speedy 500 took care of that ( that is a glue remover fluid )
Anyway in a place like that, the botton of the sensor housing, few people would actually see that if you was to sell the car later on.

But yes the alternative is to install offset of the sensor housing, just you need to stay well clear of it to not have it in the frame due to the wide angle lens dashcams use.
But can be done for sure.
The rules here in Denmark regarding things on the windscreen are pretty tough, but judging from local police TV programs it is not something they enforce, so people have all manner of things stuck to their windscreen.
I once saw a car it had a tablet a phone and a NAV unit mounted on top of each other, right in the middle of the windscreen, so he sort of had a light bar " A " pillar in the middle of the windscreen as all 3 screens was on.

My phone dock are mounted off the driver side door on some fixed glass there, so not even on the windscreen.

think the adhesive + heat would make it a pain to remove the camera from the plastic years later without leaving behind stains or damage.

This is not necessarily true. It depends on which type of tape you use. Most dash cams come with type #5952 BLACK 3M VHB tape which can indeed be difficult to remove from some surfaces. However, 3M (Scotch) makes a wide range of different but similar tapes. I have found that 3M's GREY type #4991 VHB tape or other GREY outdoor tapes in the same #49XX family work well on automotive plastic but can be easily peeled off even after years and leave no residue.

I used long strips of this tape to mount a dash mat on my dashboard for almost 5 years but when I needed to remove it the tape peeled off fairly easily and you wouldn't even know it had been there. The black #5952 tape would have been a nighmare to remove.

Usually, for consumers these tapes are marketed under the Scotch brand instead of 3M VHB and they do not mention the product family number on the package but it is usually marketed as "Outdoor" tape or "Extreme" tape and the color will be grey.

You can also search for 3M VHB #4991 but in that form it usually comes in longer rolls for industrial purposes.

outdoorVHB.jpeg

3m VHB.jpg

Last edited:
But yes the alternative is to install offset of the sensor housing, just you need to stay well clear of it to not have it in the frame due to the wide angle lens dashcams use.
But can be done for sure.
The rules here in Denmark regarding things on the windscreen are pretty tough, but judging from local police TV programs it is not something they enforce, so people have all manner of things stuck to their windscreen.

I found this picture on Google about the measurements where window damage is not allowed to be repaired in Germany.

motus-Ratgeber-Steinschlag-Infografik-1-1440x1055.jpg

Basically 14.5 centimeters from the center of the steering wheel to the left and right must be absolutely clear.
My dashcam position is about 20-25 cm from the center, so I should be in the clear.

@Dashmellow that's good to know. Thank you

The sensor cover look nice and flat on the bottom, so you could mount there , just be aware that you might have to use another dual sided tape than the one that come with the dashcam.
Personally i would be inclined to put a camera there.
Thanks for your feedback. Why I have to use another dual sided tape? Camere cames with aonther spare one. Should I use a different one?

The tape that come with the dashcams are made for fairly smooth surfaces so it might not work on the trim plastic of the sensor housing, a lot have done that and later the dashcam come loose.
There is a reason 3M that make the tapes have so many different models of tape.

I have tried some times moving a dashcam in my car, then for some strange reason the tape will no longer work on the plastic of the mount, even if i have been very careful cleaning it and even sanding it.
Very strange. So i just put some CA glue on the 2 parts and stick them together again, then they will stick together. Just strange when i use the original tape and all.

But i would not put CA glue between the glass or car trim plastics of course, but between sticky tape and plastic mount its OK as i will not move the camera a 3 time, and even so i can still clean and sand the surface again.

The tape that come with the dashcams are made for fairly smooth surfaces so it might not work on the trim plastic of the sensor housing, a lot have done that and later the dashcam come loose.
There is a reason 3M that make the tapes have so many different models of tape

That's a good point. You'll notice that on the chart I posted above, black type #5952 VHB is only 1.1mm thick and uses a different adhesive than the grey type #4991 VHB which is 2.3mm thick and uses a soft adhesive. Type #4991 VHB is also shown to have good adhesion properties with plasticized vinyl which is what a lot of car interior plastics are made of.

A thicker, softer two sided foam tape is more likely to conform and adhere well to the rough, dimpled surfaces often found on sensor housings.

That's a good point. You'll notice that on the chart I posted above, black type #5952 VHB is only 1.1mm thick and uses a different adhesive than the grey type #4991 VHB which is 2.3mm thick and uses a soft adhesive. Type #4991 VHB is also shown to have good adhesion properties with plasticized vinyl which is what a lot of car interior plastics are made of.

A thicker, softer two sided foam tape is more likely to conform and adhere well to the rough, dimpled surfaces often found on sensor housings.
Thank you. So I have to find and buy a Type #4991 VHB 3M tape and to fit between the sensors case and the camera adhesive part. I will do it like this.

Thank you. So I have to find and buy a Type #4991 VHB 3M tape and to fit between the sensors case and the camera adhesive part. I will do it like this.

Unless you want to buy a big commercial roll of #4991 VHB (on Amazon for example) it will be difficult to find it in a smaller quantity. The best thing is to look for Scotch Mount Outdoor double-sided mounting tape. I've recently learned that they changed to a new packaging that looks like the one posted here instead of the photo I posted the other day even though it is the same product.

Unfortunately, when 3M markets their products under the Scotch brand for consumers they don't give you their product designations such as #4991, so I'm not 100% certain if it is indeed #4991 but I believe it to be because it meets the description and performance. (softer-thicker-works on plasticized vinyl) It is the grey 3M VHB product that I have used on interior auto plastic with good success. I think it should work for your installation. Make sure to clean surfaces thoroughly with ispropyl alcohol before applying.

scotch_outdoorVHB.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you want to buy a big commercial roll of #4991 VHB (on Amazon for example) it will be difficult to find it in a smaller quantity. The best thing is to look for Scotch Mount Outdoor double-sided mounting tape. I've recently learned that they changed to a new packaging that looks like the one posted here instead of the photo I posted the other day even though it is the same product.

Unfortunately, when 3M markets their products under the Scotch brand for consumers they don't give you their product designations such as #4991, so I'm not 100% certain if it is indeed #4991 but I believe it to be because it meets the description and performance. (softer-thicker-works on plasticized vinyl) It is the grey 3M VHB product that I have used on interior auto plastic with good success. I think it should work for your installation. Make sure to clean surfaces thoroughly with ispropyl alcohol before applying.

View attachment 66178
I have found only this kind of SCOTCH 3M tapes:
1689074888269.png1689074903788.png
Both are gray colored and seems to be 2.3mm thick. No datasheet found on the internet. Could be ok to order?

Thank you.

I have found only this kind of SCOTCH 3M tapes:
View attachment 66237View attachment 66238
Both are gray colored and seems to be 2.3mm thick. No datasheet found on the internet. Could be ok to order?

Thank you.

If you look at the photo in my post of the version of the tape I was referring to it is a light color gray. The Extreme tapes in your photo may look dark gray but that tape is actually a black color.

I think the tape you found should probably work for your purposes. If you can't find anything else I would go ahead and give it a try.

It may be that the tape will be more difficult to remove in the future than the light gray version but if it leaves some residue some rubbing alcohol should fix that.

Does anyone use a windshield shade? If so, how does it affect your cam placement?

Does anyone use a windshield shade? If so, how does it affect your cam placement?

Windshield shades aren't really compatible with dash cams. Regardless of where you place your camera they tend to reflect a lot of heat between the shield and the glass that can really kind of cook your cam when your car is parked.

Indeed, sandwiching a dashcam between a reflective shade thing and the windscreen, have been seen to literally melt the camera, or at least the buttons on it.
Doing that and running parking guard on the dashcam, well in direct sun it would tab out soon to hot temperatures, but with one of those things in play too, i recon it would be near instantly before thermal protection kick in.

A shade thing that go on the outside of the windscreen, that is of course no problem at all, well aside for it render the chance of using parking guard mute.

Windshield shades aren't really compatible with dash cams. Regardless of where you place your camera they tend to reflect a lot of heat between the shield and the glass that can really kind of cook your cam when your car is parked.

Indeed, sandwiching a dashcam between a reflective shade thing and the windscreen, have been seen to literally melt the camera, or at least the buttons on it.
Doing that and running parking guard on the dashcam, well in direct sun it would tab out soon to hot temperatures, but with one of those things in play too, i recon it would be near instantly before thermal protection kick in.

A shade thing that go on the outside of the windscreen, that is of course no problem at all, well aside for it render the chance of using parking guard mute.

THNX!.. Gonna have to say bye bye to my windshield shade!

4K A810
neodymium hdd magnet + iron plate on double-sided tape
any dashcam becomes quick-release and height adjustable ))
holds tightly

Attachments

• 20230919_095328.jpg
    20230919_095328.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230920_120813.jpg
    20230920_120813.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 25

It really depends on your camera, how it's mounted, where it's mounted, and the kind of sunshade you use.

My install is documented earlier in this thread. Blackvue cam on a Blendmount in a Dodge Durango.

I use a Covercraft sunshade, very heavy and insulated, that folds up like an accordion (I need it in Arizona). Didnt need to modify it. Looks like this:

Fits in place nicely, sunshades hold it up no problem, and the cutout for the rearview mirror accommodates the cam nicely. No issues with failure due to heat, I think mostly because the cam isn't in the direct sun most of time in its normal position.

Bottom line, it depends. I'd recommend buying a few cheap sunshades and experimenting. Cut 'em up of you have to to give the cam a clear view without any reflective part of the sunshade behind it to reflect heat onto the cam.

Last edited:
382253976_220450304094544_2762951352354194889_n.jpg

Now that's a clean install if I do say so myself

4K A810
neodymium hdd magnet + iron plate on double-sided tape
any dashcam becomes quick-release and height adjustable ))
holds tightly
Wow magnet that's hardcore!

Back