Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Hardwired said:
Has anyone ever mounted a camera in the front grill?

park assist camera yes, DVR, no, you'd have to use a sport cam for this to be waterproof, field of view would be less than ideal, would get dirty easily, sport cams (99% of the models at least) don't have the right functionality you'd need for this type of use etc etc

I don't think I'll be able to hide my new Lukas LK7900 in the new car? It will have to be on show? What do you think?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368193380485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368193380485.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 455
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368193402673.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368193402673.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 450
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368193419972.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368193419972.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 439
It's a new metallic red Fiat 500L (Large not Fiat 500 Lounge). Top of the range Lounge with lots of options including Dr Dre Beats Hifi :mrgreen: Love it :mrgreen:

I am thinking of mounting the camera at the top to one side of the white box. That contains the microphones for the hands free and voice controlled hifi, rain sensor, twighlight sensor, condensation sensor and maybe some electronics for the auto dipping mirror though guess that's in the mirror assembly.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368195508598.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368195508598.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 351
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368195576153.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368195576153.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 357
nice car, not an easy one to work with though, some cars are harder than others and it's quite hard (impossible maybe) to try and make a one size fits all solution

I guess it's fine just that I can't really hide the camera at all. Was just checking I wasn't going mad before mounting ;-)

I would have tried to have a very small camera installed in the plastic box from the car salesman (workshop). Invisible as it gets.

Mtz said:
The windshield is reflecting too much light. We cannot see where you mount the camera. Try to make another pictures.

enjoy,
Mtz
Which means that the camera is well placed.

Mikk36 said:
Mtz said:
The windshield is reflecting too much light. We cannot see where you mount the camera. Try to make another pictures.

enjoy,
Mtz
Which means that the camera is well placed.

or it's not a good photo ;) just because you can't see it in the picture doesn't mean it always can't be seen, taking a photo through glass on an angle is a challenge at the best of times

Jazzist said:
Hardwired said:
Has anyone ever mounted a camera in the front grill?
Haven't watched the video review yet, will do in a sec, appears to be suitable (if you drive a truck with big grill) :)

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/5/3/p ... eview.html

Quite liked this, maybe Dashcamman can split my post into a new thread?

Has waterproof housing, wide angle lens, loop recording, auto start stop, motion detect, inverse lcd option for windscreen mounting, etc. Some problems highlighted in the video but looks good for what it is and the keen price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
Do you think this alignment is Ok?
I had to rotate the cam left a bit otherwise that white box was in shot too much.
If I had known I suppose I could have compensated for this by sticking the mount on slightly counter clockwise to make the dash level :(
I suppose it will do the job as is and looks neat with the mount level on the windscreen :oops:
Took some pics of it installed so will add those later to keep thread on topic ;)

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 338
I think this is the best you can obtain. Nice job.

enjoy,
Mtz

Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,
I had to rotate the cam left a bit otherwise that white box was in shot too much.
If I had known I suppose I could have compensated for this by sticking the mount on slightly counter clockwise to make the dash level :(
I suppose it will do the job as is and looks neat with the mount level on the windscreen :oops:
Took some pics of it installed so will add those later to keep thread on topic ;)
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that my dash camera is misaligned, especially if it's that much. :lol: You need to reposition it, because it's too angled to the left. Make the two windscreen squirters your reference in aligning the camera.
This is what mine looks like, after several tries:
8731583384_458925677f_h.jpg

I saw your previous post with photos of your car's interior. I don't think you can mask the Lukas in front of your mirror since the colors don't match anyway. I would look for another way to mount it. Have you tried sticking it on that big grey head, right at the center (what is it, by the way?)?

For Jazzist the greatest thing was because it mounted it in the most top position (I think). He can align for sure in the center but this means to mount the camera in the middle of the windshield.
Again, we don't make movies with our dashcams, them are there to protect us so the artistic details are not important but the efficiency .
Of course I like the have the perfect aligned camera, but only I am sure it offers the best for me.

enjoy,
Myz

Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,
Seems to be slightly tilted to the left, otherwise looks good.

Mtz said:
For Jazzist the greatest thing was because it mounted it in the most top position (I think). He can align for sure in the center but this means to mount the camera in the middle of the windshield.
Again, we don't make movies with our dashcams, them are there to protect us so the artistic details are not important but the efficiency .
Of course I like the have the perfect aligned camera, but only I am sure it offers the best for me.

enjoy,
Myz
A properly set up camera is not just for aesthetics. It also ensures that you capture both sides in front of you. Being angled too much to the left is far from "efficient."

Back