Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Hi Guys,

I've had dash-cams before now suckered onto the inside of the windscreen but there are a few problems. They're always pretty visible from outside the car, they're never fitted on the centreline of the car so the films are always a bit lop-sided, and they tend to vibrate on the mount however tight you do up all the knobs.

Ah, but I've found the perfect solution. I've attached the camera to the rear-view mirror support. It's on the car's centreline, it's rock solid so there's no vibration to spoil my movies and it's almost invisible from outside because there's no give-away circular suction-cup showing. It's a total 'what's not to like?' solution as far as I'm concerned.

tom.
very nice installation & clear details of how u did it....bet u didn't have much room to use the screw....or did u remove the mirror first?

Hi Guys,

I've had dash-cams before now suckered onto the inside of the windscreen but there are a few problems. They're always pretty visible from outside the car, they're never fitted on the centreline of the car so the films are always a bit lop-sided, and they tend to vibrate on the mount however tight you do up all the knobs.

Ah, but I've found the perfect solution. I've attached the camera to the rear-view mirror support. It's on the car's centreline, it's rock solid so there's no vibration to spoil my movies and it's almost invisible from outside because there's no give-away circular suction-cup showing. It's a total 'what's not to like?' solution as far as I'm concerned.

tom.

Nice work. It's good to see an SJ1000 installation here ... an ActionCam with DashCam capabilities that's hardly ever discussed on this site. The SJ1000 was on my shortlist when choosing a DashCam, but I ultimately went the Mobius route. I hope to see more posts on this site about the SJ1000 / SJ4000 in the future.

@extra. No, didn't have to remove the mirror and wouldn't really know how to either. And whatever they use to stick the mirror mount to the glass must be amazing stuff, it's solid as a rock.

@Russ. I chose the SJ1000 over a lot of other cams because it ticked all the boxes. 2+ hour battery, colour screen, underwater housing (I do a lot of swimming), clamps for my bike and lawn-mower (don't ask), amazingly good audio and super sharp pictures. I've made Blu-ray discs from the footage and really amazed people. And the 5mp stills are very good indeed. How do they do this for less than 50 quid? My tank costs more to fill each time.whats in the box 300dpi .jpg

Nice, a 90 degree USB adaptor would finish that off ;)

Wouldn't it just, ByrOn. I too thought of that, but ideally it would be a 3m USB to right-angle mini USB. A bit hard to find methinks

Received this today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271373348083
Works great, managed to hide within dash. Before and after pics below

Before

D596DC88-777B-45C8-B927-D3ED1F020DDB.jpg

Now

835AF162-EAC5-4D9A-8811-5AFA69BDEF7E.jpg

my install:
looks like the base of my RVM grew a micro-penis :D

Attachments

• foto3.JPG
    foto3.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 123
New Mobius owner here. I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline and mounted my Mobius behind the mirror with just a half inch bolt down off the plastic housing that hinges open for access to a circuit board. Seems very solid. Drove on a badly wash-boarded dirt road yesterday and the video looked great. First time posting pictures so I hope I get it right.

IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0204.jpg IMG_0205.jpg IMG_0206.jpg IMG_0207.jpg IMG_0208.jpg IMG_0209.jpg IMG_0210.jpg IMG_0211.jpg

New Mobius owner here. I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline and mounted my Mobius behind the mirror with just a half inch bolt down off the plastic housing that hinges open for access to a circuit board. Seems very solid. Drove on a badly wash-boarded dirt road yesterday and the video looked great. First time posting pictures so I hope I get it right.

View attachment 4636 View attachment 4637 View attachment 4638 View attachment 4639 View attachment 4640 View attachment 4641 View attachment 4642 View attachment 4643 View attachment 4644

Nice job.
As I understand, you have to screw- and un-screw Mobius every time you want attach-detach it ?
I guess within some period of use there will be some lose connection allowing wobbling if you want to keep mobius to stay straight forward, or how have you resolved this future issue ? I can not see clearly from pictures exact connection, but your idea is interesting. I wish I would had similar over mirror arm surrounding "box", then for sure would try similar approach.

niko - Thanks for giving me some things to think about. In the forth picture (4639) you may notice where it's attached to the bottom of the mirror casing that there is a small gap at the front, meaning the two parts aren't square with each other. This is done on purpose to have the Mobius at the angle I want and not pointing up too high. So where the mount hits the mirror casing behind the bolt is what keeps the Mobius quite snugly aligned. One thing I can do if/when that contact area wears is to attach some very thin felt or rubber to the mirror casing and that will let it be snug again. All part of maintenance. I may work on making a magnetic mount, probably using small thin magnets from dismantled hard drives. I will also hard wire power from the roof console light harness.

niko - Thanks for giving me some things to think about. In the forth picture (4639) you may notice where it's attached to the bottom of the mirror casing that there is a small gap at the front, meaning the two parts aren't square with each other. This is done on purpose to have the Mobius at the angle I want and not pointing up too high. So where the mount hits the mirror casing behind the bolt is what keeps the Mobius quite snugly aligned. One thing I can do if/when that contact area wears is to attach some very thin felt or rubber to the mirror casing and that will let it be snug again. All part of maintenance. I may work on making a magnetic mount, probably using small thin magnets from dismantled hard drives. I will also hard wire power from the roof console light harness.

great. exactly about "snugly aligned" I meant. I was experimenting 7 month ago similar idea to yours, but after some period of screwing-on, screwing-off, the snugly alignment was gone :(
Temporary solution is good as you said @ very thin felt or rubber.

No photo, but have the GS5000 dash-cam. The rake of the Subaru Impresa windshield is such that turning the suction cup mount "upside down" (with the support bar toward the top of the windshield) and folding the camera so the lens barely touches the mount makes it perfectly level. It's as if it was made for this car. ;-)

Have any of you got a focus 2008 (mk2.5 europe) Titanium?

Pain in the ass to find anywhere because the rain sensor, electric rear view mirror/light sensor thing is massive. My cam is attached to the bottom of this, so its quite low down (immediately below the mirror), and quite visible.

That said I can't think of any way to better the current solution :(

Thought maybe I would post here so others that might not go to the respective sub forums could see, but I have been using a RearView Mirror Mount on my G1W/TF2/WF1/Marcus 3 some other drivers might be able to use it as well depending on their mounting situation. Supposed to work for DOD cameras as well.

2dgma7l.jpg

2r3bcxw.jpg

2qtadko.png

2cr25p4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you got a focus 2008 (mk2.5 europe) Titanium?

Pain in the ass to find anywhere because the rain sensor, electric rear view mirror/light sensor thing is massive. My cam is attached to the bottom of this, so its quite low down (immediately below the mirror), and quite visible.

That said I can't think of any way to better the current solution :(

lmao omg i just got the what is it termed I1000 F70 DVR Dash i guess man first stupid ebay seller wouldn't tell anything then irony made in china but found support and every detail on this site( i think American not sure who posted but a nice admin has been emailing me through it thanks so much admin!!!)

i first mounted it by suction then like i said i found here read about the straight to window mount and looked my footage over sure enough reflection so i did right to windshield

man since day on of this in my windshield my radio quit it jams the stupid in window antenna makes you wonder good bad his is worse me i just use cds or rip the radio out for a new one

i have to reset my photo camera the site says the pics i took cant be processed

i did a sweet install my back is almost invisible i pushed it tight to the headliner in my buick 2003 but like said all over the site the stinking front is always easy to see

here i finally got them to open

a 2003 Buick Lesabra the back as you can see is close to perfection but one big problem i forgot winter and fog rain whatever defroster dont go up there ooops

im so mad about the front i have wires showing i wanted to pop the cover panel on the power cords to rear view mirror another big but if i did that i would have to unplug cords and take unit off to see menu but the flat mount to the dash i still have to do that off and on

then there is the bottom of dash kick panel showing how the wires came i did the routing hiding of wires 2 to 5 min i just haven't felt up to crawling on the floor and popping the cover panel under the dash i will do that when its warmer

i had to put it low because the cars all have that tinted blue strip i tried it in the blue strip couldn't see crap

most 2004 and down have fast pop panels rear seats etc i had a mercury grand marquis and i ran my tom tom gps antenna down the drip rail into trunk through back seat and to the unit

i used to do alarms stereos and a few squad car lights they like me because im ocd about it being safe not in bad area and always hidden thats why my cam drives me nuts wires

but i wire tied and double stick gel to hold the rear cam wire across top of my unit so many stop short or make a mess if its hard wired equipment etc

sorry rambling anyway thats how my setup is im next looking for a lower priced ok not perfect small camera to point into the cab now days they at least in the us distracted driving not paying atten or looking the right ways and the long list of others

that would be almost finished just a reverse camera then im camera happy lol

Attachments

• DSCN1410.JPG
    DSCN1410.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN1411.JPG
    DSCN1411.JPG
    612.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1412.JPG
    DSCN1412.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1413.JPG
    DSCN1413.JPG
    689.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN1414.JPG
    DSCN1414.JPG
    673.8 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1415.JPG
    DSCN1415.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN1416.JPG
    DSCN1416.JPG
    634.1 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCN1417.JPG
    DSCN1417.JPG
    611.4 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1418.JPG
    DSCN1418.JPG
    687 KB · Views: 179
Hi guys,

Two months ago, I bought a GT680W. Even though it's a pretty small camera, you can easily see it from outside the car.
I saw Techmoan's video about the Mobius lens extension cable and decided to do the same with my 680.
Unlike the Mobius, the 680's lens ribbon connector only has 24 pins (26 for the Mobius).

I searched a little and found a lens extension cable designed for the 808 #16 camera. 24 pins. I decided to give it a try, it costs only 6$. - http://goo.gl/NBrVbu

Three weeks later, the cable was here. Opened the camera, tested (without big expectations) and... it worked. No visual artifacts, no quality loss, perfect. (at 1080p 30fps).

CU8c6DO.jpg

I sometimes use a different car, so I had to figure out a mounting solution that would allow me to easily take the camera off the windshield and mount it in the other car.

I used the high density foam that came with the 680 (the protection in the box) and a GoPro quick release buckle. http://goo.gl/3p8Uou

In order to attach the quick release to the "lens case", I carved three small grooves in the foam and inserted it (upside down). It's really strong, doesn't move, the video does not shake at all.

03e0NY7.jpg

1c119rn.jpg

Now I can unmount the lens and the body of the 680 in a few seconds. The body is attached to the windshield dotted area with dual lock 3M velcro.
And, of course, I hid the gps and charging cables.

7qIsMqE.jpg

Here's a link with all the pictures : http://imgur.com/a/ylQiP
The camera is almost invisible from the outside now. :)

I have an EZPass as well as a radar detector. Mounting my camera correctly might pose a challange. Thanks for the ideas from this thread. I'm going to hardwire it this weekend and I'll post the pics.

Attachments

• Dashcam_Install_01.jpg
    Dashcam_Install_01.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Dashcam_Install_02.jpg
    Dashcam_Install_02.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Using a 2 meter up angle usb cable.
Very nice install. Could you provide a link to the cable you used? I've had a hard time finding a cable long enough AND with the correct angle...

Back