Where do I buy dual lock tape?

bobkat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am having a hard time finding the 3m product except online in big rolls. I was looking for the 1 inch wide tape for my lukas 7500

I've never herd of Dual lock tape. It might be a little different but at glance it looks like Velcro to me. (Maybe dual lock tape is the generic term for the name brand Velcro?), but i have bought some at both my local hardware and auto part store to mount the GPS antenna of my GS8000 among other things.

CheckYourLights said:
I've never herd of Dual lock tape. It might be a little different but at glance it looks like Velcro to me. (Maybe dual lock tape is the generic term for the name brand Velcro?), but i have bought some at both my local hardware and auto part store to mount the GPS antenna of my GS8000 among other things.

check this one:

http://edcforums.com/threads/3m-dual-lo ... cro.39098/

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... tRGOtTta-0

There are different strength types of 3M Dual Lock

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250804917165
3M Dual Lock Tape.

A heavy duty tape ideal for business and industrial applications or people who just want a really strong alternative to VELCRO.

This tape mates to itself or other dual lock products, there are no 'hook' or 'loop' parts. Please bear this in mind when buying - if you are trying to put a 1m tall object on the wall, you will need 2m - one for the wall, one for the object. The two 1m lengths will then connect to each other.

The mushroom type tips of the stems lock together with an audible click so you know the link is secure.

The adhesive backing provides an invisible bond to the intended surface, no drilling or stapling required.

Please click here for a detailed specification sheet (opens in a new window).

http://www.hookandloop-direct.co.uk/ind ... virtuemart

Which tape do I need?

SJ3540 is an excellent general purpose, black, heavy duty tape. It's best used indoors and has a strong rubber adhesive and connection strength. It can mate to itself or SJ3550, but cannot mate with SJ4570. This is the most popular dual lock used.

SJ3550 has the same grip strength as SJ3540 (and the two can mate) but has a very high performance VHB acrylic adhesive on the back making it suitable for very heavy duty work and for use outside. It cannot mate with SJ4570.

SJ4570 is a good alternative to heavy duty VELCRO. It's clear, has a low profile and a strong acrylic adhesive making it suitable for use outside. It cannot mate with SJ3540 and SJ3550 and can only mate with itself.

Thanks all for the tip re: Scotch 3M Dual Lock. For Canadians, Home Hardware (not Home Depot) carries it. It's different from Velcro in that the dual lock is like little mushroom heads standing up on the tape. There isn't a loop and a hook side like Velcro. Cut two pieces of dual lock, put them mushroom head to mushroom head. Then push and the heads slide past each other and lock together with a click. The two sides lock together quite tightly. I have my Mini 0801 base attached to the windshield and using my fingers I can't get enough grip on the base to separate it from the tape on the windshield. I'll have to use a screwdriver to pry it off. The dashcam doesn't wiggle at all. I'll have to wait until summer to see if the adhesive holds up to summer temps.

Sounds a Little like a zipper to me, i think i will pick up a Little of it, should have a good hold on my lipo batteries in my Rc car.

Have been using it for two years and have posted about it umpteen times complete with photos in the Blackvue Forum

It is nothing like Velcro and if pushed together properly eliminates camera shake and if you buy the right version it can withstand up to 50C without coming off.

Yes! Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners and 3M Dual Lock Fasteners (both are 3M products) are the way to go. I too have posted about them here and there on this board. The stuff provides for a very secure mount that won't wobble.

One consideration with these is that the adhesive is so strong that you'd better be pretty sure you've chosen the right spot before you install it. If you ever want to swap mounts for a different camera or move the one you have it can be pretty tricky.

Here's a tip: If you ever need to remove one of these adhesive mounts from your windshield use a putty knife to carefully pry the product from the glass, being careful not to scratch your wind screen. If you are careful you can probably re-use this expensive tape elsewhere if you should want to. There will be some sticky adhesive residue on the glass that can be a real mess and make it difficult to attach a different mount on that spot or it will just look ugly if you just want your pristine looking glass back the way it was. Try using either the products Goo Gone or Goof Off and you will easily be able to remove any remaining adhesive from the glass. Great stuff! I've kept both of these products around the house for years and they always save the day when needed.

I have my Mini 0801 base attached to the windshield and using my fingers I can't get enough grip on the base to separate it from the tape on the windshield. I'll have to use a screwdriver to pry it off. The dashcam doesn't wiggle at all. I'll have to wait until summer to see if the adhesive holds up to summer temps.

As I mentioned in my previous post, try a putty knife. It will work better than a screw driver and have less chance of damaging the fasteners. The adhesive should only get stronger in the summer temps.

Turpentine removes the adhesive without trouble. The Dual Lock does have a temperature ceiling but there is a high temp one.

They used it here for toll road tablets

When removing stuff i am partial to Speedy 500 by kent.

http://www.kentonlinecatalog.com/guide/KentAutomotiveCatalog/1-11_1.asp

EDIT: Be advised speedy 500 contain styrene and xylene both are Things that are said to cause canser, BUT ! they are allso cemicals that make this stuff Work. ( i actually think it smell good ;-) but it is not stuff you want to breathe for too long )

I once sailed on cemical tankers with styrene and simmilar cemicals, once we had a small leak that let a fjew liters of styrene out on the deck, within seconds the paint on the deck was Loose Down to the metal, and most ships get quite a thick layer of epoxy paint over the years.

Last edited:
..........snip...........
I once sailed on cemical tankers with styrene and simmilar cemicals, once we had a small leak that let a few liters of styrene out on the deck, ............snip.........

Was that the Marie Celeste ?

As I mentioned in my previous post, try a putty knife. It will work better than a screw driver and have less chance of damaging the fasteners. The adhesive should only get stronger in the summer temps.
Or some dental floss to saw between the glass and the mount.

This looks like a great tip GJHS! I think there may be some confusion about what I was recommending and why though. The poster fieldofview, said, "using my fingers I can't get enough grip on the base to separate it from the tape on the windshield." He didn't say "remove the tape from the windshield". Many people who have used Dual Lock Fasteners have discovered that it can be surprisingly difficult at times to get the two locked pieces of tape apart if you just want to take your camera out of the vehicle. I nearly broke a mount once trying just to leverage it off without a tool. Fieldofview's post is a little vague but this was my perception of what he was talking about since I had experienced it myself. So my suggestion of using a putty knife in this instance was meant to suggest that the putty knife would be a safer method of getting the two separate pieces of dual lock tape apart without damaging the fasteners than using a screw driver. Dental floss wouldn't work for this.

On a related note, my experience has been that the 3M adhesive that comes on the back of Dual Lock tape is more aggressive than the 3M adhesive that usually comes on the back of most mounts supplied with dash cams and it can be more challenging to remove and clean up the residue. It might be that one would need a putty knife or other flat tool to safely lift up a corner so you could get the floss under it. Don't know, but I will definitely try some floss next time at any rate.

Last edited:
...........snip......... can be surprisingly difficult at times to get the two locked pieces of tape apart if you just want to take your camera out of the vehicle. I nearly broke a mount once trying just to leverage it off without a tool. Fieldofview's post is a little vague but this was my perception of what he was talking about since I had experienced it myself. So my suggestion of using a putty knife in this instance was meant to suggest that the putty knife would be a safer method of getting the two separate pieces of dual lock tape apart without damaging the tape than using a screw driver. Dental floss wouldn't work for this..........snip........

One way to separate them w/o destroying the adhesion might be to extend the part of the tape that adheres to the mount past the point of attachment. ....I'll try to better explain this...

Say that the mount has a 1 inch sq. base. Normally u would have a 1 inch pad of lock tape on the mount & the same size on the window or dash, etc. But let's put a 1 1/2 inch tape on the mount & not remove the thin paper that normally covers the glue (or remove the glue) on the extra 1/2 inch that extends past the mount.....u could then grab that part to un-peel the 2 parts.

OTOH...since I've never done this, this could be one of those ideas that sounds good in theory, but sucks in actual practice.

One way to separate them w/o destroying the adhesion might be to extend the part of the tape that adheres to the mount past the point of attachment. ....I'll try to better explain this...

Say that the mount has a 1 inch sq. base. Normally u would have a 1 inch pad of lock tape on the mount & the same size on the window or dash, etc. But let's put a 1 1/2 inch tape on the mount & not remove the thin paper that normally covers the glue (or remove the glue) on the extra 1/2 inch that extends past the mount.....u could then grab that part to un-peel the 2 parts.

OTOH...since I've never done this, this could be one of those ideas that sounds good in theory, but sucks in actual practice.

Worth a try and couldn't hurt! One reason this stuff holds so well without wobbling is that it is so tenacious. They don't call it "Dual Lock" for nothing!

I think I have seen it in Home Depot. I saw a rack where the whole rack was 3m products. I am assuming you are talking about that ultra heavy duty stuff they use for EZ Passes for the windshield. It's a beast of a velcro type product.

Back