Which Dash Cam for long US road trip in a rental?

In two minds whether to get the lens extension...

I wouldn't bother. The ribbon extension cables are fragile, too short, are prone to interference, & look bloody awful unless hidden from sight.

With the car parked unattended on a hot day, don't leave the cameras recording. If the LiPo batteries are still installed, it would be sensible to temporarily remove the cameras from the car.

oo, it seems like I'll have to buy at least a couple of these, then, since we will be driving all day in the Californian sun. Presumably installing them is something plenty of people here have done without any problems?
https://joovuu.com/gb/accessories-for-the-mobius/95-mobius-super-capacitor-.html

Hi Spinball,
The people on this forum have incredible knowledge; however, if you purchase from us we will always help you. Installing a super capacitor takes about 2 minutes (and 1 minute 30 of that is unscrewing and making sure you do not lose the case screws).

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi Spinball,
The people on this forum have incredible knowledge; however, if you purchase from us we will always help you. Installing a super capacitor takes about 2 minutes (and 1 minute 30 of that is unscrewing and making sure you do not lose the case screws).

Kind regards,

JooVuu
I wish I'd known to order them on Wednesday when I ordered the second Mobius from you (which arrived today).

Oh here's a thought. If I'm putting together footage for a road trip video (which will be sped up considerably most of the time), it would be useful/cool to include an inset of Google maps showing our location in 'real time'.
Is it possible to get the GPS information from a video and do that? I normally use Adobe Premier to edit videos.
Also the Mobius is limited to 5 minute clips. This will be a real PITA glueing them together in a video. Maybe I ought to look for a GPS enabled dashcam which records much longer clips?

Stitching clips together is not difficult at all, not many cameras do upward of 10 minute segments though

But need to be sure without gap between every clips.

If you have a larger size SD card, like 32GB or 64GB, that would help a lot if you want keep the recording.

Well I have 32gig cards and they will do about 5 hours worth, but the Mobius clips have some overlap, which is perfect for the purpose of accident coverage, but I can anticipate this being somewhat of a pain when arranging the clips in the video timeline. It's trivial to copy and paste dozens of clips into the video, but if you have to truncate or overlap every one, that becomes a chore when there are hours of videos every day and at least 4 weeks of driving.

Last edited:
That would be very helpfu

What about being able to get a 'live' google maps window incorporated in the video?

Back