Which Dashcam for car that already has features?

jdanham

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am sure this question has been posted elsewhere, but it's becoming clear to me in my research that there are many products that now include GPS, navigation, collision avoidance warnings etc. when my new 2018 Audi Q5 ALREADY has these features and more. Basically everything EXCEPT front and rear dash cams. I imagine that soon these will just be options to include in upgrade packages, but in my vehicle I want to get a high quality solution - and most of them include the above features!

So, I'd be interesting in hearing from others who have bought newer vehicles with these safety features in their vehicle, and what they ended up buying and if they were able to easily disable the redundant features on the dash cams. Our lives are too full of warning beeps and notifications. I don't need any more than necessary!

Thanks in advance!

GPS on a dash cam is an entirely different "animal" than the GPS/navigation capabilities typically used in your car. On a dash cam it is NOT for navigation, it is for documentation. It will "print" your latitude, longitude and speed directly onto your video footage and when you later view the footage on your computer you can follow your route, speeds, compass orientation and other information from your travels on a live online satellite map and other windows. Collision avoidance and lane departure warnings are not generally well implemented in dash cams and it is best to rely in these features built into your car if you choose to use them.

Here is a typical example of dash cam footage and GPS information as seen in "Dashcam Viewer" software.

viewer.jpg

Last edited:
Great info, thanks! Are those features relatively easy to turn off? I'm sure it depends on the device and software.

At least the cameras I use, they are easy to turn off. The only feature I use is the gps, and that can be turned off as well if I choose. Anyways, welcome to the forum, there are some great people here that can help you with anything dash cam related.

...Are those features relatively easy to turn off? I'm sure it depends on the device and software.
You'll likely be better off buying a camera where those features are not built in and instead the money that was spent in developing them was put to better use - like basic functionality, video quality, stability, reliability and support.

Great info, thanks! Are those features relatively easy to turn off? I'm sure it depends on the device and software.

Yes, every dash cam that has GPS and collision avoidance/lane departure features has the ability to switch these features ON or OFF in the menu. For example, many people enjoy using GPS but turn OFF the collision avoidance and lane departure features. In addition you can select to have the camera embed the GPS coordinates onto your video footage but not include your speed. (which is a popular menu selection among our more lead-footed members :smuggrin:)

Last edited:
LDWS, FCWS are a gimmick when it comes to dash cams, not to mention an irritant. Good to see manufacturers moving away from including everything available in the SDK, better to concentrate on image quality and other features that are actually useful.

When selecting a dashcam for any car and it's driver(s), decide what is most important to you and seek that first. For almost all of us, that is to get good video performance reliably, and whatever comes after that is personal preference. With almost all of the better cams, you can alter almost anything it does to suit you.

Phil

I dont use any of the "smart" features in dashcams, the only one i can see any use for if it worked is collision warning, but then that really should activate car brakes instead of beep which are probably too late anyway.
GPS i do use and have my speed & date + time watermarked in my footage, if you are lead-footed and worry then speed can always be determined from the video itself ( distance in time ) so its either take a chance or maybe recording video are not such a good idea for the street racer type of people.
Though my own speed had been on the low for long before dashcams, then still i do feel it help me focus better on the speed limits, where as pre 2000 i was just overtaking and leaving behind anything in my way.

I am getting old too :sneaky: though i still have the speed bug, but i dont want to look stupid doing that on public roads, and really my 1000 ccm car are pretty weak in the speed department so that help a lot too.

Back