Which dashcam should I buy?

NilaT

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First let me tell you that I thank you very much for this forum.
The infos given here helped me a lot already.
Nevertheless, I just registered because I'm tired of reading all those threads and don't understand 50% of what's written there.
I'm from Austria, so my mothers tongue is german, and it's quite hard for me to understand all those terms regarding dashcams, because I'm very new to this.
My english isn't the best too, even if it's not as bad as you might think.

Well, so what am I looking for? I'm looking for a dashcam that doesn't seem to exsist yet.

- It should be dual lens, for recording front and back at the same time (something like the F70G, but with better quality)
- It should have GPS and a G-Sensor (Parking Mode / Event mode is a must have)
- It must have good recording quality (even at night)
- It should be decent (reading license plates is a must)
- It should stay in the car all the time (place and forget)
- therefore It should be very inconspicuous (not as the the Urive for example)
- it would be nice if the cam mounting is rotateable (from side to side, just to capture a video, if somebody is coming to my window)
- It must be priced below 150€ (about $200)

- Wifi or display or mobile phone app is NOT a must

The major problem is, either I take the F70G and have bad recording quality, or I take the Livue LB100 (which seems to fulfill all my needs and is my favorite right now) but need a second camera for rear recording. (And I don't want to manage 2 sd cards, 2 cameras need to be set up, 2 cameras need to get powered etc.)

Or maybe a LB1000 in front and a DVR027 in the back?

If anyone could give me some hints and opinions, I would really appreciate that.
Thanks in advance.
Regards, Nil

//edit: And even if I decide to take the F70G, does this cam provide G-Sensor activated recording during paring mode, or just motion detection?

I think the hard advice on this forum is to give about a 2CH dashcam. Also I can't give any advice until now, I don't know any to consider a best buy.
After all my experience, if I must to buy today cameras for front and back, my choice is two separate cameras.

Livue will produce a 2CH (HD+HD) dashcam, but I don't have any other information about release date, price, form factor. But I don't think it will be under $200. That Livue LB100 $100 price for a korean dashcam I consider some "accident" even the $100 price is almost right for that camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Really the only dual cams that come close to your needs are the Urive shotgun and the garmin g35d. They are quite expensive though. Your best bet are 2 single lens cameras.

Which is the best camera? I don’t know. We are trying to buy Mega Pixles and reliability.
DASH CAMERAS
NAME Price Ratings

FineVu CR-500 HD (1920x1080) @30fps 2MP $369 4.4 stars
Itronic ITB-100 HD (1920x1080) @24fps 2MP $320 3.5 stars
Itronic ITB-200 HD (1280x720) @24fps 2MP $308
BlackVue DR400G (1920x1080) @30fps 2MP $260 3.5 stars
BlackVue DR500G (1920x1080) @30fps 2MP $320 4.0 stars
HONEYWELL HBB-200 (1280x720) @30fps 2MP $294
Smarty BX1000 Plus 170 (640x480)@30fps 0.3MP $179 4.5 stars
Smarty BX1500 Plus 170 (640x480)@30fps 0.3MP $249 4.0 stars
A8 Hero HD DVR H264 (1280x720)@30fps 0.9MP $40 5 stars 12 review
*Black Hero HD DVR (1280x720)@30fps 0.9MP $40 4.5 stars 64 review
Itronics ITB-500 HD (2CH) Car Camera. It is interesting, but for a hefty $488.
HD High Quality Video - Camera:1/4" CMOS Camera / 2.0 Mega Pixels
Image Resolutions - High Definition 1280px x 720px - 15 FPS (not impressive).
Video Compression Type - H.264
Operation Temperature - Handles the Aussie Heat -20C~80C! (very impressive).
*HD 720P Dual Lens Dashboard Car vehicle Camera $58 4.5 stars
1280*720 25-30 fps front camera 0.9MP, rear camera VGA 640*480 30 fps 0.3MP
H.264
Adapter is located outside camera, and is equipped with the cooling fan.
Until market stabilized, I have bought 2 different cheap cameras marked with asterisk.
The first is in use. It is working as described, providing 0.9MP image. It is not a set and forget camera. This camera gets hot. Decreased input current from 14.2V to 9V via an adapter. Drilled 30 vent holes. Now it is working better, but I don't trust it. Actually I'm powering this camera through a cigarette lighter Plug equipped with an ON/OFF switch. In the future I may

use it as a Rear DVR.
The second one it is shipped but not arrived yet. I decide to wait 6 more months before spending $200 - $300. Till then I have something better than nothing.
While the price of Dash DVR cameras is sky rocketing, ironically a Logitec HD Pro Webcam full HD 1080, codec H264, 2MP, with Industry-leading premium Carl Zeis optic capture sells at Amazon for $78, ratings 4.5 stars, 456 customers reviews?!!!

Hello,
I have recently purchased a dash cam from VicoVation, model TF2 which is there flagship model. It's a compact size, reliable and records ia HD 1080p. Im really happy with it.

Has anyone else seen or heard of these models?? Link to video taken below, and above (wouldn't pastebelow!)

Some video I took on it.... remember to choose HD!

Last edited by a moderator:
True the market appears to be flooded, but they have had dash cams in asia for years already!
There only just starting to become popular here in the western world.
I suppose read the reviews people have put up and trust there correct.

Like i said on my last post, the Vicovation dash cam i brought is high quality and works well :)

Bluerose said:
The market is flooded with tons of Car Dash Cam models. I think it is the time to watch and wait. I’m not going to buy yet, untill things are going to settle down.
http://www.focalprice.com/car-dvr/ca-003001003.html

True the market appears to be flooded, but they have had dash cams in asia for years already!
There only just starting to become popular here in the western world.
I suppose read the reviews people have put up and trust there correct.

paraman said:
I have recently purchased a dash cam from VicoVation, model TF2 which is there flagship model. It's a compact size, reliable and records ia HD 1080p. Im really happy with it.
Good night quality video also without city lights.
I think australian car registration plates have very small characters and numbers because are hard to see.

enjoy,
Mtz

The real car survelliance starts here and you can go as far as you want to spend. The system doesn't compromise the car battery which is a shallow cycle. Instead they power the system through an auxiliary, marine deep cycle batery installed in the car, in parallel with the existing battery. A dash car cam and a car survelliance system are two different things that we cannot have at the same time, unless we spend thousands of dollars.
http://www.eyespypro.com/products/Mini- ... a-Kit.html

Where you find all these "exotic" and overrated cameras? How to pay $700 for 704x480 SD resolution? And the poor monitor to be optional and maybe another $100?
I hope our forum members are smart and not falling in traps like these.

enjoy,
Mtz

This system, in use by USA government for decades, now it is released to the public too under the name “360 degree car security camera, full view car driving camera, car driving monitor system”. This system belongs to the future no matter if we like or dislike it. What I’m bringing to you are facts and most of the audience is smart enough to make analysis and synthesis from the facts.
http://gzsunson.en.alibaba.com/product/ ... ystem.html

Attachments

• HONDA.gif
    HONDA.gif
    123.9 KB · Views: 155
Bluerose said:
This system, in use by USA government for decades, now it is released to the public too under the name “360 degree car security camera, full view car driving camera, car driving monitor system”.

in use for decades??? I think you've got your wires crossed there somewhere

Is nice to see the USA Government is using some chinese camera.
Because you like exotic camera I can recommend to you this or this.

enjoy,
Mtz

Bluerose said:
The real car survelliance starts here and you can go as far as you want to spend. The system doesn't compromise the car battery which is a shallow cycle. Instead they power the system through an auxiliary, marine deep cycle batery installed in the car, in parallel with the existing battery. A dash car cam and a car survelliance system are two different things that we cannot have at the same time, unless we spend thousands of dollars.
http://www.eyespypro.com/products/Mini- ... a-Kit.html

Just wanted to point out a few things:

-$700 for that camera system is way too expensive given the video quality.
- The marine deep cycle battery does not come with the system, you need to purchase it and install it separately
- A marine deep cycle battery can be used with a regular dash cam if you are concerned about compromising the car battery
- A dash cam and car surveillance are not as different as you claim...Buy 2 small HD dash cams and wire them to a marine deep cycle battery and you will have a better system (Quality and price) than the one above.

Given the year is 2013 and 1080P High Definition is expected from a dashcam I will pass on this overpriced Chinese junk that the "USA Government have been using for ages".

What do i want from a dashcam:

• Compact design that will reduce theft from my vehicle
  • Parking Mode
  • 1080P Video footage

What does that camera not have? All the above, oh and there is nothing exotic about it... perhaps if we lived in the 1980's, but we are 33 years in the future. These sellers should be lined up and shot for accepting cash from buyers for such trash hardware.

Back