Which Mobius Firmware Version Are You Using?

Which Firmware version are you using?

• Total voters
Mobius Low-Light video comparison clips
Last night I took the opportunity to make a short test video showing the differences between firmware v0.59 and the most recent v2.25. A Christmas market seemed a pretty ideal location.
I have deliberately not shown which clips were made with which firmware version and with which settings because I would like to hear people's opinions and reasoning.
You should judge the clips for their overall low-light quality and not individual frames.
For the best comparison I suggest you download the original clip from
http:\\www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/v0.59_vs_v2.25.zip
and single-step thru the clips. Avidemux is very good at this since, unlike VLC Media Player, it can step thru single frames backwards as well.
This is purely a test video and should be regarded as such. No effects, no fading, just original material cut into clips and quickly assembled into a single picture-in-picture video.
I have tried to include scenes with different lighting conditions so you get a better overall impression.
I'll reveal which clip was taken with which firmware version next week, but first it would be interesting to hear your comments.
[EDIT] I have updated the video which now reveals which clip was taken with which firmware version. I have also updated the download link. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
to be honest I don't think I'd be unhappy with any of those, overall I preferred 3 the best, a bit more detail in the shadows than 1 or 2, all quite good though, I did only watch online but have downloaded and will have a better look later, quite impressive results

nice job on the editing too

I believe the slight edge goes to clip #2, over clip #3 , and clip #1, is worst out of the 3 clips, now when you say low light, you referring to WDR.

Also, i found more detail in clip #2.

I'm more amazed that you got consistant color out of all three. I find that one of the bigger issues with v2.25 on my Mobius is that the lights turn yellowish, while v0.59 has a more accurate color and is brighter. @Isoprop you continue to impress, can there be a person that has done more to improve this camera? A big Thank you from me.

If I understand correctly, ultimate would be to dump WDR Low Light and give us V0.59 night performance with V2.25 smoothness and customization and the Mobius will have performance much higher than most NT96650/Aptina AR0330 cameras. Is this possible?

I like 2.18 over 2.25, better recording (less grainy)...... great night quality.... but indeed 0.59 gets even better night recording, so....

I'd like to know that too, maybe worth a try for the devellopers?

What is the reason for 2.25 b.t.w.?

I believe the slight edge goes to clip #2, over clip #3 , and clip #1, is worst out of the 3 clips, now when you say low light, you referring to WDR.

Thanks for the comments. That's the type of info I'm looking for. Everyone sees things differently. Maybe #1 is v2.25? or maybe not?
One of the clips made with v2.25 had standard settings and the other clip made with v2.25 had standard settings except WDR was set to Low-Light. With v2.25 you can configure Mode 1 (yellow LED) as standard and Mode 2 (blue LED) as Low-Light. Pretty easy to remember too: yellow = daylight (sun is yellow) and blue=dark. Firmware 0.59 doesn't have this type of functionality, of course.
I forgot to mention that I used the standard A lens. Using the wide angle lens would most likely have yielded better results but everything would have been much smaller.

With v2.25 you can configure Mode 1 (yellow LED) as standard and Mode 2 (blue LED) as Low-Light. Pretty easy to remember too: yellow = daylight (sun is yellow) and blue=dark.
Ooooh. Off to play. On the whole - I liked V3 best. But I too am watching online and on a slow line and small screen. So can't watch in HD. Will try again tomorrow.

Yeah, I agree, I think 1= 2.25, 2=0.59, and 3= 2.25 LL...... what 'd I win ...?:)

Well, thank you to the few people who commented on my comparison video.

I have now updated my original post #21 with a new YouTube video showing the settings used and have also updated the download link.
People may obtain different results under different low-light conditions but, as I have posted before, I believe v2.25 tops v0.59 as a whole.
When we test firmware we (Tom does an awful lot) almost always compare the video with the video made with the previous firmware version.
Because of the ongoing claims that v0.59 performs the best under low light I decided to not only compare v2.25 with it's predecessor but also with v0.59. My tests were done inside my house and I found v2.25 performed better than v0.59. I also found focus was very slightly better, but I didn't follow up on this. The differences I noticed gave me the idea to make an outdoor low-light video, and I'm glad I did because it confirmed the results I had noticed indoors.
Like I said, everyone can have their own opinion and my posted video doesn't address all low-light conditions. Especially interesting for comparison are scenes at 1:06, 1:12, 2:37 and 3:13 but there are others.
Instead of the YouTube video you must use the original from the download link or you won't notice the subtleties. At 1:06 look at the buildings on the left. Some parts aren't even visible in v0.59. At 1:12-1:14 the building on the right is much more pronounced than in v0.59 and really visible with v2.25 with WDR low-light enabled. At 3:13 you can't even recognize the red scarves and faces of the singers in v0.59.
So, after you know which clip is which, is it a myth that v0.59 is the best low-light firmware?

So, after you know which clip is which, is it a myth that v0.59 is the best low-light firmware?

only people that have more than one camera could really make any valid comparisons, unless the videos are compared side by side with each firmware version then it's not possible to make any judgment call on which is best, (I'm sure you know this anyway but just backing up what you've done here for whatever that's worth), as I said though even the worst one is still doing a pretty good job, there's not much in it, knowing what's involved I'd say the engineering team have done an exceptional job with this hardware

Well, thank you to the few people who commented on my comparison video.
Was light colour correction on Auto? Interesting results there. Still not watched FULL screen as my internet speed has been capped - We're pending fibre installation tomorrow.

Was light colour correction on Auto? Interesting results there. Still not watched FULL screen as my internet speed has been capped - We're pending fibre installation tomorrow.
Standard settings. No tweaks whatsoever. I'm sure better results in certain conditions can be obtained by adjusting one or two of the advanced parameters, but I wanted to show what can be obtained 'out-of-the-box' plus the WDR low light in one of the clips.

Mobius Low-Light video comparison clips
Last night I took the opportunity to make a short test video showing the differences between firmware v0.59 and the most recent v2.25. A Christmas market seemed a pretty ideal location.
I have deliberately not shown which clips were made with which firmware version and with which settings because I would like to hear people's opinions and reasoning.
You should judge the clips for their overall low-light quality and not individual frames.
For the best comparison I suggest you download the original clip from
http:\\www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/v0.59_vs_v2.25.zip
and single-step thru the clips. Avidemux is very good at this since, unlike VLC Media Player, it can step thru single frames backwards as well.
This is purely a test video and should be regarded as such. No effects, no fading, just original material cut into clips and quickly assembled into a single picture-in-picture video.
I have tried to include scenes with different lighting conditions so you get a better overall impression.
I'll reveal which clip was taken with which firmware version next week, but first it would be interesting to hear your comments.
[EDIT] I have updated the video which now reveals which clip was taken with which firmware version. I have also updated the download link. [/EDIT]

How about 0.59 in WDR vs 2.25 WDR?

By the looks of it 2.25 with WDR looks better than 0.59 without WDR

Last edited:
How about 0.59 in WDR vs 2.25 WDR?

By the looks of it 2.25 with WDR looks better than 0.59 without WDR
There's no low-light WDR setting in v0.59, only WDR which was not designed for low-light conditions, so I doubt WDR would help v0.59 in these conditions.
The WDR single setting in v0.59 is a global setting whereas in v2.25 you can set one of the two WDR settings for either or both video modes. This makes v2.25 much more flexible since it can be switched from 'normal' to 'low-light' with a single button press, well actually three if you count the stop and start.

If you leave WDR on low-light mode during bright sunlight conditions, what problems can you potentially or should you see? I tried with 2.25 low-light during a cloudy day and I noticed if someone's rear lights are on, it would flicker. I'll post a video clip of this later.

EDIT: I've uploaded the clip here:

Maybe it's PWM LED lights? That's why they flicker when captured at 30 fps?

Last edited:
If you leave WDR on low-light mode during bright sunlight conditions, what problems can you potentially or should you see? I tried with 2.25 low-light during a cloudy day and I noticed if someone's rear lights are on, it would flicker. I'll post a video clip of this later.

EDIT: I've uploaded the clip here:

Maybe it's PWM LED lights? That's why they flicker when captured at 30 fps?

private.

Check your settings, that's not normal.

It looks as if it was actually flickering, are you sure those were not flickering? The car in front of you wasn't flickering.

I'm pretty sure they weren't flickering to the human eye. Car in front of me don't look like LED lights to me.. that's what I'm guessing is causing it though. I did capture something recent that look like the same thing. Have to go through all the videos to get at it though.

Back