Which Viofo is best?

Digital_Dad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I already asked which camera to buy and the opinion is that the Viofo is the best choice for me for the options I want. Now the question is which model is better? I have watched many videos comparing them but some shots on the videos contradict a previous shot, for example a plate will show clearly on one model but not another model in one shot but then later in the same video the model that performed poorly shows the plate clearer? So I want opinions from those of you who have held them, used them and know from experience. I was thinking of getting the CPL filter too and the green and white Samsung 128GB EVO micro SD for it any thoughts on those? And as always if there is a better option out there let me know, thank you for all your help!

- Vertical windshield mount for bus windshield
- Always on
- Motion detection, so I don't have to turn the camera on to record when I start driving, since it is always on
- WiFi/Bluetooth to view and download a video without taking out the SD card would be nice
- Loop recording (format reminder would be nice, if you guys think it's even needed?)
- Microphone off for privacy
- Night time clarity is important

A119s and G1Ws both have decent sony sensors for night use, I don't know which have wifi, if any, loop recording is available on all I think, format reminder can be switched on or off along with microphone again I think that's on all of them

The only camera that meets all of your requirements is the A129 since it has WiFi. The A119S is basically the same as the A129 without WiFi.

Reactions: Mtz
The only camera that meets all of your requirements is the A129 since it has WiFi. The A119S is basically the same as the A129 without WiFi.
I'm glad I didn't go for it because I didn't notice it didn't have WiFi when comparing the video quality!

I'm glad I didn't go for it because I didn't notice it didn't have WiFi when comparing the video quality!
Glad I could help. The A129 is the only wifi capable Viofo camera.

The G1W-S is not the best choice. It can lose the date in a few days. Then it refuses to overwrite newer files that are really older files. Forget about a firmware update. VIOFO has written this dashcam off and is not supporting it. If you bought it with the gps module that issue of not overwriting newer files should go away. The G1W-S is an excellent night vision camera. The viofo support is missing to fix a few minor issues.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your help and support! I bought the A129 with GPS, CPL filter, BT button, 128GB Samsung EVO select SD card and a 3yr Square Trade warranty. It should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your help and support! I bought the A129 with GPS, CPL filter, BT button, 128GB Samsung EVO select SD card and a 3yr Square Trade warranty. It should arrive tomorrow.
Sounds like you did it right. Just make sure you turn wifi off when recording. If you don't the bitrate will drop which decreases the image quality.

Sounds like you did it right. Just make sure you turn wifi off when recording. If you don't the bitrate will drop which decreases the image quality.
I didn't know that? Thank you I will! Do you have to turn on the camera every time you drive if you leave it plugged in? I don't want to have to remember to turn it on, in case I forget, my luck that would be the day I need it.

Do you have to turn on the camera every time you drive if you leave it plugged in? I don't want to have to remember to turn it on, in case I forget, my luck that would be the day I need it.
If your 12V socket turns off when you turn the car off then you will be fine. If your 12V socket stays "hot" then you will want to unplug or manually power off the camera.

I would purchase the Viofo 3-wire hardwiring kit and use that instead of plugging it into your 12V socket. It's planned to be released "soon."

If your 12V socket turns off when you turn the car off then you will be fine. If your 12V socket stays "hot" then you will want to unplug or manually power off the camera.

I would purchase the Viofo 3-wire hardwiring kit and use that instead of plugging it into your 12V socket. It's planned to be released "soon."
The outlet stays on, I was hoping the motion detection feature would work like an on/off switch?

The outlet stays on, I was hoping the motion detection feature would work like an on/off switch?
No, the camera still pulls power which will deplete your battery without any protection thus reducing the batteries lifespan. That is where the hardwire kit comes in handy since it has a voltage and timer cutoff.

Is this going in an actual Bus? If so, power draw may not be a problem, unless the bus is parked for weeks. Motion detection 'may' work, somewhat, but since the cam is basically running and using power, anyway, maybe just stick a large card in and leave it runnning?

Is this going in an actual Bus? If so, power draw may not be a problem, unless the bus is parked for weeks. Motion detection 'may' work, somewhat, but since the cam is basically running and using power, anyway, maybe just stick a large card in and leave it runnning?
Yes it is going on an actual bus that will never be parked for more than two days(maybe three on a 3 day weekend rarely). On holidays where we would be off for a week I would unplug it? I bought the 128GB Samsung EVO select card. I won't be allowed to hardwire it in to the bus(I'm lucky I can use the 12v outlet).

You're probably OK. I'd just leave it running except when parked for a week.
you can try motion detect. it should start/stop reliably enough with driving, but in a bus I'd worry the cam shuts down when you are stopped temporarily, like, with passengers walking around near the bus, or at long stop lights. The little bit of savings power wise may not be worth it.
With the big card you should get all night coverage, also. Kind of nice in case of vandalism.

Back