Who has a right of way,two cars in front or me?

img3.png

They should just change it all to 4 way stops to alleviate all of your headaches with roundabouts. Life is much more simpler in USA :cool:

img3.png

They should just change it all to 4 way stops to alleviate all of your headaches with roundabouts. Life is much more simpler in USA :cool:
I wouldnt agree with you. Roundabout is new kind of intersection in town,so I am still not used to use it without caution,but far from a headache,for me anyway. Before roundabout there was a traffic light regulated intersection and general thinking here is that cars pass much faster through a roundabout than traffic lights regulated intersection.
I didnt meet with a 4 way stops yet.

It was to put an end to these kind of situations that since January 2014 here in Portugal it's no longer allowed to circulate in the roundabouts' outside lane past the first exit. If you enter the roundabout like you did, you must take the first exit. If you want to go to any other exit, you have to move to the left lane before the roundabout, enter to the roundabout's inside lane and move to the outside lane again before the exit you want to take.

It was to put an end to these kind of situations that since January 2014 here in Portugal it's no longer allowed to circulate in the roundabouts' outside lane past the first exit. If you enter the roundabout like you did, you must take the first exit. If you want to go to any other exit, you have to move to the left lane before the roundabout, enter to the roundabout's inside lane and move to the outside lane again before the exit you want to take.
I understood that cars which are entering roundabout use outside lane if they going to exit roundabout in first or second exit and inside lane if they going to exit from roundabout on third or forth exit.
Audi in front of me obviosly cut off me but truck with trailer in front of Audi is from driving school (driving instructor and candidate for driving license are in it) wasnt.
My real question here is did they use the proper lane or I was and whos right and whos wrong in this situation here?

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

I understood that cars which are entering roundabout use outside lane if they going to exit roundabout in first or second exit and inside lane if they going to exit from roundabout on third or forth exit.
Audi in front of me obviosly cut off me but truck with trailer in front of Audi is from driving school (driving instructor and candidate for driving license are in it) wasnt.
My real question here is did they use the proper lane or I was and whos right and whos wrong in this situation here?

My point was that if the law allows for these situations to happen, then what's wrong is the law.

Before the roundabout both lanes have a painted arrow for straight across, so both lanes can be used. Normally when there are 2 lanes off a roundabout you should stay in the same lane until after the exit, so the Audi was wrong and you were right.

However you should expect people to change lanes on a roundabout, and you also knew that the Audi was likely to leave at that exit, otherwise it would have been going back where it came from. To avoid accidents it is wise to never overtake on a roundabout, wait until after you have left the roundabout. The Audi was in front of you so you should have left enough space for it to change lanes if it wanted to, not try to pass it. The Audi should have indicated before changing lanes and checked that it was safe to do so, so legally an accident would be the Audi's fault, but it was you that put your car in a place that made it dangerous/difficult for both of you, the Audi was driving normally, so you should blame yourself, not the Audi driver.

In my area, roundabouts are a relatively recent invention and we've not risen to the level of lane distinction as is being discussed here. The lanes are marked through the roundabout, but it still is a bit of a free-for-all. Best traversed when not busy.

Before the roundabout both lanes have a painted arrow for straight across, so both lanes can be used. Normally when there are 2 lanes off a roundabout you should stay in the same lane until after the exit, so the Audi was wrong and you were right.

However you should expect people to change lanes on a roundabout, and you also knew that the Audi was likely to leave at that exit, otherwise it would have been going back where it came from. To avoid accidents it is wise to never overtake on a roundabout, wait until after you have left the roundabout. The Audi was in front of you so you should have left enough space for it to change lanes if it wanted to, not try to pass it. The Audi should have indicated before changing lanes and checked that it was safe to do so, so legally an accident would be the Audi's fault, but it was you that put your car in a place that made it dangerous/difficult for both of you, the Audi was driving normally, so you should blame yourself, not the Audi driver.
I almost understood what are you talking and in the end of your comment your entire comment became contradictory. Because I wasnt trying to overtook Audi,just trying to exit a roundabout and he's cutting my trajectory. I understand that a car from inside lane during exiting roundabout,a car from outside lane also exiting must let him pass first,even if that car has any sign turned on,to show his intention to turn right?

I understand that a car from inside lane during exiting roundabout,a car from outside lane also exiting must let him pass first,even if that car has any sign turned on,to show his intention to turn right?

Normally the car that is in front will go first if you need to merge into the same lane, even if only a little in front. In this case maybe the Audi thought he needed to merge (which he did) and thought he was in front.

So to avoid problems and make life easy for everyone, it is best not to put yourself side by side with another car while on a roundabout. Either move in front, or move back so that there is enough room for the car in front to change lanes. Remember that it is not easy for the car in front to see you or know what you are doing while going around the roundabout. Be safe, not just legal.

I understand that a car from inside lane during exiting roundabout,a car from outside lane also exiting must let him pass first,even if that car has any sign turned on,to show his intention to turn right?

Normally the car that is in front will go first if you need to merge into the same lane, even if only a little in front. In this case maybe the Audi thought he needed to merge (which he did) and thought he was in front.

So to avoid problems and make life easy for everyone, it is best not to put yourself side by side with another car while on a roundabout. Either move in front, or move back so that there is enough room for the car in front to change lanes. Remember that it is not easy for the car in front to see you or know what you are doing while going around the roundabout. Be safe, not just legal.
OK,it now much clear,whats your point.
Anyway my question ( about situation in video ) was "Are they wrong ( truck and Audi ) or I am" I meant,off course, in the eyes of a law and traffic rules. You give the answer and you warn me that I should keep much more distance with a car in front of me,whether I am right or wrong.

I like roundabouts ( RAB ), but the 2 lane ones can be problematic when people dont know how to use them.
And its not like its hard, if you exit on the first road you keep in the Right lane of the RAB, if you go any further you take the Left land but change to Right lane 1 exit before you exit, and so if a car is in the Right lane in a roundabout with 2 lanes it mean it will be taking the next exit.

So say you enter a RAB with 4 roads and you are doing a 180 there to go back where you came from, then you enter and go strait to left lane, when you then get to the 3 exit you change to Right lane so you are ready to turn Right and exit the RAB when you get yo exit #4.
And if everyone do this then changing from Left to Right lane in a RAB should be uneventful as no one should be on your Right as they just exited or are waiting to get into the RAB and giving way to you.

Most roundabouts here are just 4 roads converging, i have seen 5 too but that's also it as far as i can remember.

There are some problems regarding RAB here as they are actually not mentioned in our traffic code, just go to prove that voters should not vote for stupid people that will make laws all other places than where its needed.
My mentioning lane change in RAB i mean for RAB with just 1 lane roads leading into it, if you have 2 lane leading up to the RAB you off course stay in your lane the whole way thru.
I just put it that way cuz the most RAB here are 1 lane roads leading into it, and one can wonder why they have made RAB 2 lanes then as its useless if people done use the Left lane in the RAB.
Danish DEMP of roundabout use, just mute Danish mumbo jumbo speech.
As you can see you can enter from L hand side lane in 2 lane road leading to RAB and you can exit in R hand lane exiting the RAM on 2 lane road too, i think this are better than holding your lane and exiting from the Left lane too, need a lesser state of situational awareness if you ask me.
TYhough Danish DEMO are fawked up by a lot of people doing i wrong, it say keep right to exit firts road, keep left to exit any other road, and after that is demoed cars stil keep right and exit the #2 road, and the video just said you shouldent do that. :rolleyes:

Several lanes roads leading into RAB

Problem is:
1. people keep Right no matter how far they go round the RAB
2. people do not give way to a car in the Left lane in a RAB, and so exit it and will be a problem if you want to change to Right lane and exit RAB.
3. People pass in RAB and on the Right, again this cause problems with changing to Right hand lane and exit if you are in Left lane.
4. Sane people caught out by idiots should just chill, do a extra lap and then try exiting again, there are no max lap limit at least not on Danish roundabouts.
5. people are not using their indicators for lane change or exiting, and if you take exit #1 you have to indicate right as you enter the RAB so people can see you will take exit#1 which will facilitate if they are in Left land and will be taking the next exit over.
And not least if people do not use the Left lane in a RAB it will slow traffic down a lot and pretty much negate the use of a RAB in the place, and you are back to square #1

Some places they paint stuff on the road surface as can be seen in this RAB south of Viborg here, it mostly confuse people, though the rules for solid lines on the road are also pretty simple.
https://www.google.dk/maps/@56.4267057,9.3897219,164m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=da

And design-wise they also seem to favor making a RAB as little as possible, and i think the larger you make it the better it will function.

4 way stop i dont like, its like every #2 time i get to such a place i see people fail, thats not quite the same numbers i see in roundabouts though people also fail there but its a more forgiving place i think, a accident in a 4 say situation will default be a 50/50 fault-split here and maybe effect your insurance, that's not the case in a roundabout.

Last edited:
I like roundabouts ( RAB ), but the 2 lane ones can be problematic when people dont know how to use them.
And its not like its hard, if you exit on the first road you keep in the Right lane of the RAB, if you go any further you take the Left land but change to Right lane 1 exit before you exit, and so if a car is in the Right lane in a roundabout with 2 lanes it mean it will be taking the next exit.

So say you enter a RAB with 4 roads and you are doing a 180 there to go back where you came from, then you enter and go strait to left lane, when you then get to the 3 exit you change to Right lane so you are ready to turn Right and exit the RAB when you get yo exit #4.
And if everyone do this then changing from Left to Right lane in a RAB should be uneventful as no one should be on your Right as they just exited or are waiting to get into the RAB and giving way to you.

Most roundabouts here are just 4 roads converging, i have seen 5 too but that's also it as far as i can remember.

There are some problems regarding RAB here as they are actually not mentioned in our traffic code, just go to prove that voters should not vote for stupid people that will make laws all other places than where its needed.
My mentioning lane change in RAB i mean for RAB with just 1 lane roads leading into it, if you have 2 lane leading up to the RAB you off course stay in your lane the whole way thru.
I just put it that way cuz the most RAB here are 1 lane roads leading into it, and one can wonder why they have made RAB 2 lanes then as its useless if people done use the Left lane in the RAB.
Danish DEMP of roundabout use, just mute Danish mumbo jumbo speech.
As you can see you can enter from L hand side lane in 2 lane road leading to RAB and you can exit in R hand lane exiting the RAM on 2 lane road too, i think this are better than holding your lane and exiting from the Left lane too, need a lesser state of situational awareness if you ask me.
TYhough Danish DEMO are fawked up by a lot of people doing i wrong, it say keep right to exit firts road, keep left to exit any other road, and after that is demoed cars stil keep right and exit the #2 road, and the video just said you shouldent do that. :rolleyes:

Several lanes roads leading into RAB

Problem is:
1. people keep Right no matter how far they go round the RAB
2. people do not give way to a car in the Left lane in a RAB, and so exit it and will be a problem if you want to change to Right lane and exit RAB.
3. People pass in RAB and on the Right, again this cause problems with changing to Right hand lane and exit if you are in Left lane.
4. Sane people caught out by idiots should just chill, do a extra lap and then try exiting again, there are no max lap limit at least not on Danish roundabouts.
5. people are not using their indicators for lane change or exiting, and if you take exit #1 you have to indicate right as you enter the RAB so people can see you will take exit#1 which will facilitate if they are in Left land and will be taking the next exit over.
And not least if people do not use the Left lane in a RAB it will slow traffic down a lot and pretty much negate the use of a RAB in the place, and you are back to square #1

Some places they paint stuff on the road surface as can be seen in this RAB south of Viborg here, it mostly confuse people, though the rules for solid lines on the road are also pretty simple.
https://www.google.dk/maps/@56.4267057,9.3897219,164m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=da

And design-wise they also seem to favor making a RAB as little as possible, and i think the larger you make it the better it will function.

4 way stop i dont like, its like every #2 time i get to such a place i see people fail, thats not quite the same numbers i see in roundabouts though people also fail there but its a more forgiving place i think, a accident in a 4 say situation will default be a 50/50 fault-split here and maybe effect your insurance, that's not the case in a roundabout.
In my dashcam video,I did it like one of correct examples in your second videos.
Its a two lane RAB and two lane leading in a RAB and this exit where truck,Audi and I exited is two lane (but then two panes merge to just ONE lane).
So...conclusion would be I do it right,they do it right ( except Audi didnt turn signal ON ), and my fault was a short distance to Audi?

and my fault was a short distance to Audi?
It is OK that the distance was short, there where 2 lanes and they should both be used, otherwise there could just be 1 lane. But you should also make it safe for people to change lanes, because on roundabouts people do need to change lanes, you should expect them to change lanes, so always try to leave a short gap and be ready to give them extra space if they do change lanes. The Audi should have used his turn signal, but not everybody does and when they do it is often too late, so don't expect it. The Audi knew he was in front of you, he didn't expect you to be passing him in the right lane, that would be wrong.

The big advantage of roundabouts is that when you get close to someone, you will be going in almost the same direction at almost the same speed, so there is plenty of time to avoid problems, and if there is an accident then it is just a small bump. On other types of junction people hit each other at high speed and people get hurt, on roundabouts nobody ever gets hurt.

A large amount of RABs in England are two lanes with four exits, the left lane being for first and second exit and the right lane being third and fourth exits. Although it's also common for the left lane to be first exit only, so it's wise to try and be reliant on road markings as well. I remember struggling with RABs during my driving lessons but the learning curve was very sudden. Once you understand it, you understand it. But I know why it was difficult and that's because there's no set design for RABs, there's so many different ones. There's one in my hometown that's half circle - half oval, very easy to misjudge if you don't know the area so I always use extra caution if I'm using the outside lane on that one.

There's one in Derby where I've moved to for university that took me FOREVER to learn which lanes lead to where with minimal confusion, even google maps and my sat nav don't have much more of a clue than I ever have either :ROFLMAO: google Markeaton Roundabout Derby on google maps. Even with the road markings it's taken me a while.

1: 3 lanes
2: 4 lanes
3: 3 lanes
4: 4 lanes

Untitled.png

Some day I want to take a road trip to the legendary Magic Roundabout in Swindon down south, now THAT is a beast, 5 mini roundabouts connecting to one big roundabout that sends traffic what would feel like the wrong way around the main roundabout in the middle. Four lanes on half alternating with 3 lanes on the other. It just seems unnessercary doesn't it? Tell you what though, I'd hate to have been a learner in Swindon and have to do that on my test!

Swindon3.jpg

1200px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

Some day I want to take a road trip to the legendary Magic Roundabout in Swindon down south, now THAT is a beast, 5 mini roundabouts connecting to one big roundabout that sends traffic what would feel like the wrong way around the main roundabout in the middle. Four lanes on half alternating with 3 lanes on the other. It just seems unnessercary doesn't it? Tell you what though, I'd hate to have been a learner in Swindon and have to do that on my test!
You need to try that twice, the first time go around it clockwise, and the second time go around anti-clockwise :)

Don't worry about it, it is easy,

I will steer well clear of those things if i even venture over there, to be honest just driving a RHD car like i have tried a few times here are quite freaky,
If i ever get to Australia my first task is to head out of town in my car, and "relax" out in the country for a few wekes getting used to drive on the "wrong" side, but after a little acclimatization i might be a little braver.

Back