WHY... Bunch of idiots just threw a bottle off my window and the rear cam not working.###

Peter Wilson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0801 DashCam and Blackvue DR550GW, iPhone 4S.
Dr550GW, Rear camera green footage going onto YouTube as soon as I have patched them together.

The Rear camera which would have shown the incident has failed, typical.

Last edited:
I can't answer your question but I have a DR500GW and very often it skips and not record for a few minutes, the only way I get to know is if I look back at the clips then I see there are missing minutes :mad:

I was driving in northern Italy last summer when two BMW Mini's overtook me they had that in disguise markings that made seeing finer details hard to photograph, I followed both of them for about 15 - 20 minutes,once they turned off the motorway,

I pulled in to the next garage took out the card and downloaded all the clips to the computer, when I got to the hotel I started looking at the clips, thats when I found out the camera had not captured any of it, no warning it wasn't recording or anything

Did they break the window? Did you use every swear word known to mankind? That is just ridiculously awful

I can't answer your question but I have a DR500GW and very often it skips and not record for a few minutes, the only way I get to know is if I look back at the clips then I see there are missing minutes :mad:

I was driving in northern Italy last summer when two BMW Mini's overtook me they had that in disguise markings that made seeing finer details hard to photograph, I followed both of them for about 15 - 20 minutes,once they turned off the motorway,

I pulled in to the next garage took out the card and downloaded all the clips to the computer, when I got to the hotel I started looking at the clips, thats when I found out the camera had not captured any of it, no warning it wasn't recording or anything

What type of card are you using? I have seen this before with other DashCams and it was down to it's class. If you have a low quality card it can take longer to write the data and if so it can skip. Not saying for definite that this is the cause but it's a good contender!

Dr550GW, Rear camera green footage going onto YouTube as soon as I have patched them together.

The Rear camera which would have shown the incident has failed, typical.

You seem pretty clued up Pete so won't teach you to suck eggs but I have the DR550 and sometimes get the neon screen which is the root of your problem. Mine was resolved by not slamming the boot as hard. The AV connection isn't great and if it knocks the connection it can cause this. If a new dual system is developed this really needs to be changed!

Also got the same problem as OP.
Most of the time, the rear camera doesnt work or have miscolors.

Question one, No they didnt smash the window... yes I did shout WTFWT and jumpped of the computer chair in my socks and ran out the front door 4 feet from my seat. and caught a glimpse of the back of them running away.

Question 2 Hi Class card. PNY class 10 20Mbps

Question 3 Yes slamming the boot may work unfortunately my cars boot as such is a sheet of glass with a hinge at the top and a metal clip at the bottom. so slamming is not a good idea.

Result, working again but getting flare again, thought i had solved the flaring with a simple mount the camera so close to the brake light the wire cant budge.

my Micro Sd card is a sandisk ultra 32gb I got from Amazon, I know some are not direct from Amazon but other sellers, I used to format it once a month but before I stopped using the DR500 I was formating it at least once a week if not more, the same Sandisk ultra works OK in the F70 dual lens DVR with out formating it for months

one thing I did used to notice, and how significant it is I'm not sure but I use to have it recording either 2 minutes and sometimes for 3 minutes, and on a full 32gig card I'd occasionally have some recorded footage of a few meg, 30 to 60 meg recordings that captured only a mater of a few seconds 10 20 something like that, don't know why this is and if it will shine any light on these DVR's

Last edited:
I have always used PNY or sandisk, actually the PNY cards are 16Gb the 32Gb is a Sandisk class10 20Mbps the 16s are PNY 20 and 50mbps Oops My bad

Question 3 Yes slamming the boot may work unfortunately my cars boot as such is a sheet of glass with a hinge at the top and a metal clip at the bottom. so slamming is not a good idea.

I think you misunderstood Pete.
I wasn't suggesting to slam the boot to resolve but more of a reason as to why it's doing that. A few people who I have spoken to said they aren't very soft when closing the boot and that having changed the way in which they close it has prevented the "Neon Screen".

As you have stated that you don't shut it that hard anyway it can't be that...

I would say get in touch with BV or your reseller at this point. As you may know BV aren't the easiest of people to get hold of. We do have their ear though...

When I received my BlackVue DR550GW it had a different video cable in the package. Instead of the straight connection mine is a 90 degree one and that makes it easier route and a better connection.

Maybe a straw poll of the types of cables people are using may help to see if that is the problem or contributes to it?

I will try and post a photo of my cable to compare.

Cheers!

Andy

Right angle the new one, its my second camera the first was sent back as the rear camera died with in hours of firmware 1.014. Sorry ye miss read the post, i am dyslexic lol... makes for interesting arguments with my mate, I say it one way he says the same thing but a different way and a big fight breaks out about who is right. LOL we both are.

I have the cable with right angle plugs with my Dr550 and havnt had any problems with the rear camera not working.. not sure if it relavent or not..

The first batch of DR550s came with the straight one.

AICT were the first company in the UK to get one. After I made the review I advised Pittasoft that there was an issue with the straight ones in regards to video dropout and that from an installers point of view it was pants. It is easier to hideaway the cable if it's right angled than just straight out the side.

Luckily as they hadn't started full production yet, it was changed quite quickly. I'm guessing a batch or two with the straight got out though.

That's interesting Tim. Thanks for that!

Have Pittasoft made any response to you regarding customer concerns over the pixilation issues and bit rate?

Andy

That's interesting Tim. Thanks for that!

Have Pittasoft made any response to you regarding customer concerns over the pixilation issues and bit rate?

Andy

Yeah they are aware of the issue and acknowledge it. Apparently a firmware fix will sort it but haven't given any ETAs yet. I mentioned in another thread that I'm being sent a new AV cable that is shielded to prevent DAB cut out.

I am not holding my breath for the firmware update that fixes everything.

I rewired my cable so it goes down the drivers side, the radios aerial wire is on the passengers side, and the signal got worse.
I understand radio waves and should have remembered that Crossing the beams can be worse... It seemed no matter what way I go I have to ether run down the length or directly across the wire.
Its now knocking out 60% of the radio signal making it most noisy. However I did notice something interesting. if you shield just the part that's visible with your hand eg cup the wire from the camera to the roof lining you can get a much better signal.

The downside is that you will need the camera to be recording as you fly off the road, into the people on the footpath, with one hand in the air shouting "Its the only way I can listen to the Radio..." as you smash through three cars, a couple of stop signs, and a bunch of nuns reading to the homeless children of the world.

I am quite lucky I have four hands two are mine two are the wife's. I just have to convince the wife shes mud, sorry no the word I was looking for is a Ground...

Back