Why do my 12V car plugs not power my new Mobius?

megapixle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a new Mobius I'm trying to use as a dashcam to replace my non-working G1WH. Thought I'd just be able to use the old G1WH cord that plugs into my car's 12V port. But when I plug it in, nothing happens, the Mobius doesn't power on like it's configured to.

The sticker on my plug says:

DC/DC ADAPTER
INPUT: DC 12-24V
OUTPUT: DC 5V --- 1.5A
MINI 5P 1P+ 5P-

I also tried another old dashcam plug that didn't work either.

I've ordered from Amazon a new 12V USB plug along with a standard 10' USB cable, hoping that will work.

I'm not a power expert, can someone tell me why my old dashcam cords won't work?

Many of these cheap power supplies that come with budget cameras like the G1WH are notorious for their poor quality and lack of proper voltage regulation. Often they will put out voltage spikes or will be providing voltages that are out of spec. Many times when people report failed G1W series cameras they don't realize that the power supply was the reason, or a contributing reason for the camera's demise.

The Mobius V3 circuit board released in Oct. 2014 has an added over-voltage protection IC on the USB external power input which will disconnect the external power if the voltage is between 5.6V to 28V. If your G1WH power supply is putting out more than 5.5V or spiking the voltage when you start your engine then that may well be the cause of the problem.

My hunch is that there is nothing wrong with your Mobius. Did your Mobius come with an internal battery? Does it work if you don't plug it in to your G1WH power supply?

Many of these cheap power supplies that come with budget cameras like the G1WH are notorious for their poor quality and lack of proper voltage regulation. Often they will put out voltage spikes or will be providing voltages that are out of spec. Many times when people report failed G1W series cameras they don't realize that the power supply was the reason, or a contributing reason for the camera's demise.

The Mobius V3 circuit board released in Oct. 2014 has an added over-voltage protection IC on the USB external power input which will disconnect the external power if the voltage is between 5.6V to 28V. If your G1WH power supply is putting out more than 5.5V or spiking the voltage when you start your engine then that may well be the cause of the problem.

My hunch is that there is nothing wrong with your Mobius. Did your Mobius come with an internal battery? Does it work if you don't plug it in to your G1WH power supply?

Thanks for that detailed response, I think you're right. The Mobius works fine other than when plugged into my G1WH cable. I bought a new 12V plug and USB cable from Amazon and the Mobius works fine now. I'm glad I didn't damage my Mobius with that a potentially faulty power supply. So far I'm really happy with the Mobius. What I really want is long-term reliability. The G1WH dying after a year was really a disappointment.

Thanks for that detailed response, I think you're right. The Mobius works fine other than when plugged into my G1WH cable. I bought a new 12V plug and USB cable from Amazon and the Mobius works fine now. I'm glad I didn't damage my Mobius with that a potentially faulty power supply. So far I'm really happy with the Mobius. What I really want is long-term reliability. The G1WH dying after a year was really a disappointment.

Some of us here, like me and @russ331 have had Mobius cameras in more or less daily use for approximately two years with no problems whatsoever. In my six years of multiple dash camera ownership, the Mobius has proved itself to be the most reliable and dependable camera(s) I own. Once you get yours set up with a proper power supply there's a very high likelihood you will experience the same performance.

Last edited:
Wait! Has it been that long? I know you've been keeping a more detailed accounting of this that I have.
Mobius went on sale in July 2013. I would have bought one sooner, however, I dithered while investigating alleged heat issues, which proved to be nonsense.

Some of us here, like me and @russ331 have had Mobius cameras in more or less daily use for approximately two years with no problems whatsoever. In my six years of multiple dash camera ownership, the Mobius has proved itself to be the most reliable and dependable camera(s) I own. Once you get yours set up with a proper power supply there's a very high likelihood you will experience the same performance.

I wish I had found the Mobius earlier. I see you have a DR32, that was my first dashcam, I bought it 3 years ago and it's been 100% reliable.

I wish I had found the Mobius earlier. I see you have a DR32, that was my first dashcam, I bought it 3 years ago and it's been 100% reliable.

The DR32 is a great camera in many ways. Mine still works well despite very hard use although I don't use it anymore.

Back