Mobius loses power after acc/startup

kavad

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
I have mobius connected to the cigarette lighter.
If one enters the car and starts the car right away the camera works fine.

What doesn't work fine is if one enters the car and turns the key (push button) to acc (accesories only) to listen to radio the camera starts fine and all is good UNTIL you want to start the car and drive away.
Starting the car shuts power to the cigarette lighter (and dash radio too) and to Mobius that is like power is out and i turn off and there are no more recordings.

How can i fix this problem that the camera stays on after the acc is pressed and later car is started?
Thank you.

Hi,
I have mobius connected to the cigarette lighter.
If one enters the car and starts the car right away the camera works fine.

What doesn't work fine is if one enters the car and turns the key (push button) to acc (accesories only) to listen to radio the camera starts fine and all is good UNTIL you want to start the car and drive away.
Starting the car shuts power to the cigarette lighter (and dash radio too) and to Mobius that is like power is out and i turn off and there are no more recordings.

How can i fix this problem that the camera stays on after the acc is pressed and later car is started?
Thank you.

Turn your accessory switch off and then start the car in the normal manner.

I had the same problem, downgrading to v2.33 solved it.

Hi,
Thank you.

I had the same problem, downgrading to v2.33 solved it.

That's interesting. What firmware versions were you using that were failing?

kavad , you could try wiring in a "delay on" timer with say a 10 second delay. That should give the Mobius enough time to sort itself out and restart. (It may not work if you've got a capacitor fitted, I'm having problems with that at the moment.)

Last edited:
Turn your accessory switch off and then start the car in the normal manner.

That solution is not much use if you want to examine footage when other people are driving your vehicle. eg when it's being serviced. I've found my dealer somehow manages to crash one or both of the Mobius in one of my vehicles. I think they leave the IGN "on" for long periods and then start the engine. (It's fine for me going from ACC to Start.)

Anything above 2.33 fails. My ride is a Forester 2014.

Thank you for this tip.. I was having the exact same issue on v2.41, downgrading to 2.33 fixed it, now I can leave the car on accessories like listening to the radio or whatever and then start the car and the recording carries on, no issues.

I have power off set to immediate as I am using a super capacitor..

Thanks for posting your findings salman79uk and Quidagis. I'm definitely going to give that a try to fix my issue with the Mobius (with capacitor) failing to start when the capacitor's charge is low. It beats having to pull the car's interior to pieces to try and modify the hard wired side of the equation.

Edit: old firmware is available here https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/downloads-info/

That's interesting. What firmware versions were you using that were failing?

kavad , you could try wiring in a "delay on" timer with say a 10 second delay. That should give the Mobius enough time to sort itself out and restart. (It may not work if you've got a capacitor fitted, I'm having problems with that at the moment.)
All my mobius cams are capacitor & all are powered via a delay timer without problem.

All my mobius cams are capacitor & all are powered via a delay timer without problem.

can you provide a link to one of these delay timers, and are they as simple as just plugging into the car 12V socket?

can you provide a link to one of these delay timers, and are they as simple as just plugging into the car 12V socket?

You can lean more about the delay timers HERE and see some photos. They are not plug and play but only require some simply DIY wiring.

v2.33 - Modified the Mode LED activity to provide visual confirmation when the Auto E/WB lock is set.
- Bug fix for Photo Mode Auto WB lock that caused the RGB settings to shift to different set of fixed values after the first WB-locked photo.

v2.37 - Auto Record with external power has new options for longer elays and "switch to motion detect" when power is disconnected.
- Loop recording can now use longer clip sizes. Known issue: Max clip length setting doesn't work (defaults to 10 min.)
- USER ALERT: longer clips means losing more history. Small cards can only hold several clips (e.g. five full10 min. clips on an 8 GB card)
- Narrow WVGA video mode uses a scaled down image of the 720 Narrow FOV, not direct pixel capture. GUI tool tip had wrong info.
- Time Lapse video playback is now limited to 30 fps (a DSP chip code limitation).
- Photo Mode WVGA frame size had distorted 3:2 aspect ration image. Corrected for 16:9 image like the 1080 and 720 frame sizes.
- Time Delay photos no long stop and now continue recording when the clock rolls past midnight with a delay set for 5 min. or longer.
- Auto WB lock now retains the locked settings on all subsequent clips after the first one when camera remains powered in the same mode.
- MP4 format video recording with battery power will now keep recording and not go into USB drive mode when PC USB power is connected.

v2.41 - Added feature for changing first four characters in the video file name.
- Fixed bug that caused "fractured" frames when 10fps frame rate was set with Audio Recording turned OFF.
- Fixed bug that caused Video Data Rate and File Size to be recorded incorrectly in the file properties metadata when the frame rate was changed.

Seems they messed it up with the 2.37 update.

Yet to test but, if 2.33 works for my car, don't mind skipping the changes in 2.37 and 2.41.

It works!

Changelog doesn't suggest any IQ related changes or enhancements post 2.33. Looks the same to me.

The downgrade to 2.33 resolves the only issue I had with this model.

Would I still like 2.41 to behave like 2.33? Yes, please!

I updated to 2.41 and have had issues with auto start, etc and when I tried to go back to a previous ver it won't update. Maybe due to my card being formatted to exfat? Also have not been able to format the 64gig card to fat32

I reverted one Mobius back and was having problems. I found a lot of the set up options had changed (for some reason) like USB Power was turned off and a few other settings that need to be on had changed.

I reverted one Mobius back and was having problems. I found a lot of the set up options had changed (for some reason) like USB Power was turned off and a few other settings that need to be on had changed.

yes the settings would need to be applied again, but once reverting back, are the issues you were peviously having resolved?

Back